Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet right

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
If GP has made his decision in December why not. He was/is probably undecided on Forster for next season.

For what it is worth I would have offered Forster a provisional 2 year contract renewable every 6 months dependant upon appearrances, perfomance injury etc. Whether or not he would have accepted it I dont know

And another thing Brian you said it wasn't worth going last night, you'd have been in your element:thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Forster knew full well what he was doing, trying to back an inexperienced manager into a corner. Well Poyet has shown that he can make tough decisons, which is sometimes what being a manager is all about.

As Diffbrrok said, the only purpose of going public was to try and pressurise Poyet. He could have started checking out other options without going public, as I'm sure some of the others are. The moment he went public, he was in the wrong. He has to be the one to backtrack.

And for everyone who says that Poyet needs to change his position on this - name one successful manager who has ever changed a decision because one of his players has publicly disagreed. Gus may not be successful yet, but he's doing the right things.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Reasoned debate turning into a vicious catfight.

What next, mud wrestling?:facepalm:

Mrs Poyet vs Mrs Forster earlier this week...

bratislava-stag-mud-wrestling4.jpg

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Good points, whic were mentioned yesterday. and with whichI agree. Agents.....:(

That's a fair position. Two things contradict this though. Firstly the offer of a new contract to El Abd which could be seen that the club were willing to discuss contracts.

Also you could argue that the club's top scorer who has given several years of very professional service is very different from the others on the out of contract list?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just posted on the Seagulls site

Poyet on Forster
Posted on: Fri 12 Feb 2010
By Paul Camillin

Gus Poyet last night offered a route back into his plans to Nicky Forster, but told supporters at a fans' forum that the situation can only be resolved by the Albion striker.

Speaking at the Albion in the Community event, the Albion boss revealed that he hopes Forster will retract the statement he made via Sky Sports News and The Argus last Friday.

He said, "I have no problem with Nicky Forster, he does not even need to apologise, but I want him to clarify things and at the moment it looks like he does not want to do this.

"He did not put a transfer request in to us. He put the statement out via Sky Sports and the local paper last week, not the club. He made a statement as if he had left the club. All the time that is the case, then he is not in the team."

Poyet also revealed he has told Albion's out-of-contract players he will only discuss new deals if and when the club moves away from the relegation fight at the foot of League One.

"It is very simple. I will always look after my players. I aim to help them to become better players, both professionally and financially, and I will never go against them.

"We are not a one-person team. I have 25 other players to consider and if one player acts like that and I take no action, then all of a sudden I have 25 players acting like that.

"Myself, Mauricio and Charlie sat all of the out-of-contract players down on January 15th and told them all that we would not be in a position to discuss contract extensions until such time as we are safe from relegation.

"Of course, these players are all free to talk to any other clubs at any time they like. That is the risk I am taking and I am prepared to take that risk."

Poyet also gave some insight behind Adam El-Abd's new deal, adding, "The offer was made back in December, a long time before we told the players that we would not be holding any more contract talks.

"The reason why I wanted to offer Adam a new contract is very clear. He is the most valuable player for me at present. He is the best at defending at the club. I know that this view is not shared by everyone, but you have to look at the whole game and not just when players are on the ball.

"When we are defending he knows what his job is and he does it. When we are attacking he knows what his job is and he does it. He may not be the best on the ball, but he is a very good footballer."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Great quote from Poyet that should really settle any arguments (but obviously won't). Let's hope Nicky's agent pays heed.

Had to chuckle though at our new boy quoted in the Argus putting himself in the shop window and effectively telling Newcastle to put up or let him go............echoes of our own dear Nicholas there but I'm sure it won't cause any consternation among Albion fans.:lol:

LuaLua said: “We’ll see what happens. I have come here for a month and I will try to do my best in that time.

“If the manager would then like me to stay I’ll have no problem with that. I have come here to enjoy it, play more and help the team get more points.

“It has been disappointing at Newcastle because at the start of the season I was playing and coming on as a sub.

“Then, when I injured my ankle and groin, that was at a time when some of the other young players were pushing for a place so it hasn’t been a good season for me.

“I don’t really know about my future there. After this season I’ve got one more year.

“I have been playing for Newcastle’s reserves for about five years now and I don’t want to keep playing for the reserves, so maybe in the summer it will be time for me to move.”

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Gus may have told all th eplayers that he will not speak to them about contracts until the end of the season - that's not now in dispute. The question might be "Was that the correct management approach?". Who said all the players need to be treated the same?

Huge fan of Gus - totally behind him - but the queston for me isn't "Was Forster out of line?" but rather "Was treating all nine players in the same way the correct approach?". Patently it was not since our leading scorer is not now available to the squad.

Reminds me of the saying "There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequals"

I think it's sad that 9 people don't know whether or not they have a job after the summer and if they hang on for a contract they reduce their chances of maybe being more proactive now to try for something. It must be a very difficult situation being torn between maybe a club you love and trying to secure something else.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Reminds me of the saying "There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequals"

I think it's sad that 9 people don't know whether or not they have a job after the summer and if they hang on for a contract they reduce their chances of maybe being more proactive now to try for something. It must be a very difficult situation being torn between maybe a club you love and trying to secure something else.

Thing, for most of the out of contract players its quite an easy choice. If you have rarely played under Poyet (Hart) then its a fairly unlikely that you will be in Poyets long term plans. So if that was me, I would be looking for Clubs now.

Fortser, of course knows all this. His thinking went along the lines that Poyet was inexperienced and wouldn't dare not offer a new contract to a player who is stil scoring goals. Maybe Forster thought too highly of his self importance. Yes, important player, but more important than the team itself. No chance.

Still, interesting to see that Poyet has offered a way back. Balls in NF corner now and it'll be interseting to see if he takes this, or is too stubborn to budge.

Dorset Seagull

You seem to have conveniently forgotten the fact that there is doubt over which division we may be playing in next year.

Would you like to bankrupt the club by offering new juicy contracts now to players that may be in League Two in the future.

Get real. This is a business decision.

But if it meant sorting the contracts now for everyones peace of mind then it only needs clauses to state the relevant wages dependent on the division we are in. I think the delay is more about which players would still be required dependent on the division we are in

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If the club doesnt talk before may or june it doesnt give much time for players does it ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But, were we not in/near the relegation zone in December when he offered El Abd a contract? By offering El Abd a contract he is saying "I want el abd, not so sure about you lot" with "you lot" including Kuipers - whose performance against Southampton was as key to our victory as the goals Murray scored and who has contributed to many points we've won, and whose saves have kept our goal difference down. It includes Forster whose goals has won as as many points as Kuipers saves. These people are not important enough to offer a contract to, but a guy who "knows where to stand when he doesn't have the ball" is?

That doesn't make sense to me. On any number of levels.

Still, as I said in my last post, there's no right and wrong, there is simply "what is".

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

Poyet on Forster
By Paul Camillin

Gus Poyet last night offered a route back into his plans to Nicky Forster, but told supporters at a fans' forum that the situation can only be resolved by the Albion striker.

Speaking at the Albion in the Community event, the Albion boss revealed that he hopes Forster will retract the statement he made via Sky Sports News and The Argus last Friday.

He said, "I have no problem with Nicky Forster, he does not even need to apologise, but I want him to clarify things and at the moment it looks like he does not want to do this.

"He did not put a transfer request in to us. He put the statement out via Sky Sports and the local paper last week, not the club. He made a statement as if he had left the club. All the time that is the case, then he is not in the team."

Poyet also revealed he has told Albion's out-of-contract players he will only discuss new deals if and when the club moves away from the relegation fight at the foot of League One.

"It is very simple. I will always look after my players. I aim to help them to become better players, both professionally and financially, and I will never go against them.

"We are not a one-person team. I have 25 other players to consider and if one player acts like that and I take no action, then all of a sudden I have 25 players acting like that.

"Myself, Mauricio and Charlie sat all of the out-of-contract players down on January 15th and told them all that we would not be in a position to discuss contract extensions until such time as we are safe from relegation.

"Of course, these players are all free to talk to any other clubs at any time they like. That is the risk I am taking and I am prepared to take that risk."

Poyet also gave some insight behind Adam El-Abd's new deal, adding, "The offer was made back in December, a long time before we told the players that we would not be holding any more contract talks.

"The reason why I wanted to offer Adam a new contract is very clear. He is the most valuable player for me at present. He is the best at defending at the club. I know that this view is not shared by everyone, but you have to look at the whole game and not just when players are on the ball.

"When we are defending he knows what his job is and he does it. When we are attacking he knows what his job is and he does it. He may not be the best on the ball, but he is a very good footballer."

If I was on anyones side over this it was Forsters, but reading this has changed my mind. Nothing about waiting until contracts are up, just when we look safe from relegation, and Gus explains the El Abd deal was sorted before this decision so looks it does now look as thoght NF has been a bit of a prat.

Dorset Seagull

Exactly, given their stance on their top scorer!

So looking forward how can this be resolved, if at all?

I guess the only way it will be is if Forster apologises and says he wants to play for us for the rest of the season? Whilst I think the club were wrong to not offer him a contract I accept that they can not back down now. However is there something they can do to make Forster feel a bit happier about the situation so he can play again?

Surely Forster realises that it is in his interest to patch this up so he can put himself in the shop window for a summer contract with another club or an extension to his contract with us.

If he backed down it would be a win/win situation. Forster probably wont be doing his chances of moving on to another club any good by sitting in the stands watching

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton

Poyet on Forster
By Paul Camillin

This makes Fozzys column in the argus tomorrow all the more interesting........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here