Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Poyet is the man to lead Chelsea' According to Ray Wilkins in a 2 page spread. (merged)

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Ray Wilkins says Gus Poyet would be best choice for Chelsea boss

Sorry if fixtures but I just happened across this interview with Butch Wilkins

Football

premier League Football Teams
Ray Wilkins
TRUE BLUE ... Ray Wilkins
Crash, bang, wallop – then you’re out!
Wilkins fears Rom tactics limit Chelsea boss options
By MARK IRWIN
Last Updated: 18th January 2013
RAY WILKINS fears Chelsea are running out of managerial options because of Roman Abramovich’s ruthless methods.

Blues legend Wilkins was mercilessly axed as Carlo Ancelotti’s assistant two years ago after standing up to the billionaire Russian owner.

And he believes the rapid managerial turnover at Stamford Bridge was a factor in Pep Guardiola’s decision to snub Chelsea in favour of Bayern Munich.

Now he feels the team he captained as well as coached are facing some huge decisions as they approach the end of an era.

Wilkins said: “Any manager who accepts the Chelsea job knows exactly what they are walking into.

“There is a big salary that comes with the job but also the understanding that you could be relieved of the post at any time.

“Guardiola may well have decided that he didn’t want to be in a situation like that.

“He will have studied the squads at Chelsea and at Bayern and might feel his best opportunity of capturing big trophies at the moment lies in Munich.

“I was surprised when Mr Abramovich dispensed with the services of Carlo a year after we won the double and when he sacked Robbie Di Matteo a few months after winning the Champions League.

“But the owner doesn’t hesitate when he thinks it’s time for a change and you don’t get much warning that it’s coming. In my case, it was literally ‘crash, bang wallop and off you go’. That’s the way he works.

“And when you think of the money he has spent on Chelsea, he’s entitled to do what he wants.

“If I’d spent £1billion on something, I wouldn’t have too many people telling me what to do, either.”

Yet Wilkins, 56, believes that authoritarian approach will no longer work at the very highest levels of game as the world’s best coaches think twice about accepting Abramovich’s money.

He added: “When you employ the biggest coaches in the world, these are people who are going to have an opinion.

“And because they all now have the luxury of wealth, they’re no longer afraid to speak out for fear of getting the sack because they already have all the money they can spend.”

It is for that reason that Wilkins can see no way back at the Bridge for former boss Jose Mourinho, the most successful manager in Chelsea’s history who was sacked by Abramovich in 2007.

“I’d love to see Jose back and so would the fans.

“The Premier League needs characters like him and he’s a big man for a big job.

“But there’s too much past history between him and the owner at Chelsea.

“And because Jose also likes to spend money on the players he wants, there would be a conflict there straight away.”

Yet Wilkins, who believes Brighton boss Gus Poyet would be the ideal candidate to take charge at Stamford Bridge next season, shatters the myth that Chelsea managers have no say in which players are bought and sold and are told who to pick by the club’s owner.

He revealed: “In the time that I was on the coaching staff, it was always the coach that selected the players.

“I know for a fact that Carlo wanted Fernando Torres and David Luiz so Mr Abramovich went out and got them.

“I don’t know if that situation still applies today but there has clearly been a change in philosophy lately.

“They are bringing in much younger guys and hoping they can be the way forward but in my opinion it is a real mistake to be releasing the likes of Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole.

“When I see Sir Alex Ferguson talking about giving Ryan Giggs another Premier League contract at the age of 39, I’ve no idea why Chelsea would let Lampard go.

“Frank has a similar appetite to Ryan and the same fitness level.

“He won’t play 50 games a season any more, but if he plays 35 he will score you 15 goals and I don’t see any other midfielder at Chelsea getting to that level year in, year out. And for me, Ashley Cole is still one of the world’s best left-backs with Leighton Baines and Barcelona’s Jordi Alba.

“He’s so fit and still has so much to offer but he doesn’t seem to fit into Chelsea’s plans and I suppose that in a year’s time there will be the same rumours about John Terry.

“People talk about the dressing-room being too political, but these are big players and they’re not just going to sit there and see things going wonky without having their say.

“Yes, they do get the hump when they’re not selected. But that’s the way you want them to be.

“The last thing you need is to have a player who doesn’t care if he’s not playing, who just shrugs his shoulders and disappears back home to Portugal or wherever for the weekend.”

Wilkins is banking on the imminent return of captain Terry to end Chelsea’s recent slump and lift some of the mounting pressure on interim boss Rafa Benitez.

He said: “Rafa is a very experienced manager who is in the post at the moment and has the opportunity to carry that forward.

“But I would assume he has to win something this season to have a chance of staying in the job and it’s a very difficult situation because of the opposition from the supporters.

“It all goes back to the great clashes with Liverpool in the Champions League and the things that were said at the time from both clubs.

“The Chelsea supporters are not very forgiving but they have to get behind the manager better than they are doing because it’s their club and, like it or not, Rafa is the man in the job at the moment.

“I was at the 2-2 draw with Southampton on Wednesday and the strained atmosphere is clearly not helping the team.

“These young foreign players signed for the Champions League holders and expected the fans to be behind them right from the start.

“But they’ve been affected by the frosty atmosphere and now everyone is disappointed to be in the middle of January and the team is not even challenging to win the league or the Champions League.

“In the past Mr Abramovich hasn’t really taken the opinion of the supporters into consideration.

“At the end of the day, he does whatever he wants.

“But Wednesday evening was the smallest crowd of the season at Stamford Bridge and maybe people are starting to vote with their feet.”

Ray Wilkins has been appointed Coral’s Director of Football this month. Ray is signing people looking to ‘move for the money’ to Coral, where there are more top prices than anywhere else on the high street.

Read more: Ray Wilkins: Chelsea boss dilemma due to Roman Abramovich | The Sun |Sport|Football

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I believe that if Gus went to Chelsea he would be jobless within 12-24 months, and having "failed" in his first gig at a top team it would have a massive negative impact on his future as a top level manager.

D

Deleted member 22389

Well Wilkins can F**k Off, and yes Gus would be joblesss within 12 months, then it would be a slippery slope downhill.
Are there actually any managers that have constantly performed from Job to Job? T

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Who'd want that job now how ever much you're given to spend. Any top manager should run a mile.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I think Gus would more likely get the Spurs job before Chelsea

Although I actually think he will leave for someone like Villa or Everton

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interestingly, the Chelsea chairman is so volatile that there isn't any stigma in getting sacked from the Chelsea job. AVB gets the Spurs gig, Ancelotti the PSG job. Wilkins is right in that young players will feel the manager is under so much pressure for short-term results that they simply won't feel able to start them when there's someone else on £100K a week on the bench who will get the start.

The contrast with Spurs and Arsenal is stark. Their kids get a chance. And all fans like seeing youth being given a chance, and by that I mean youth brought through the ranks, not bought from a Brazilian club for £25million.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Well if you were RA and spunked tens of millions of pounds away sacking underperforming 'proven' managers, you could be forgiven for going for one who is unproven at the highest level

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Gus could manage Chelsea given time but RA wants and needs instant success so time isnt something he would give a manager to develop his squad and style as Gus has with us so at the moment it would be a bad but very tempting move for him..

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I think you would have to be mad or at lest not in a job to want the poision chalice that is the Chelsea managers job

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I truly believe in Gus and he could manage Chelsea with ease-

Time will only tell the non believers but if Gus had a budget of worth here at Brighton we would never here a mention of plan B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here