Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet has another poke at fans

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Dear OP... please grow a pair... thank you...

Seagull Crow

Sep 3, 2012
I'm a big fan of Poyet and everything he's done for the Albion, but I do think that at times he tries to defend the indefensible. I lost a little respect for him after those comments that he made in support of Suarez. These Hammond comments aren't in the same league - I think that he has possibly misinterpreted the source of the fans' frustration (either that, or he's trying reframe the debate as being one of passion rather than the insult directed at the supporters). Either way, while I like his loyalty and the fact that he leaps to the defence of players, he would be sensible to be more cautious in picking his battles

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hammond will be a hit with fans again From The Argus)

“Maybe people were having a little bit of a doubt with Deano, because of what happened a few years ago. I think that is absolutely rubbish. That shows the passion he has got for the game and how much it means for him to win. He is going to show that.”

???

I would argue that having a little bit of doubt about someone who has screamed 'f**k off' at Brighton fans as recently as 2010 is perfectly natural.

As has been said in other threads, our Gus is still very much a work in progress manager. He has a lot to learn before he's ready for his beloved Premier League.

Not me. Water under the bridge. Time to move on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who is having a pop at Brian Clough? Or did you mean Peter Taylor Mk.1 or even Alan Mullery? Gus has a long way to go before he challenges them.

I don't think our record under Clough was the greatest you know! 12 wins in 32 matches, losing to Walton & Hersham 4-0 and Bristol Rovers 8-2 aren't results to boast about.

Camicus

Cloughie was a good manager elsewhere but 12/31 isnt "great" so kinda pointless calling him one of our best managers Same goes for Peter Taylor. You can have Alan Mullery though

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm a big fan of Poyet and everything he's done for the Albion, but I do think that at times he tries to defend the indefensible. I lost a little respect for him after those comments that he made in support of Suarez. These Hammond comments aren't in the same league - I think that he has possibly misinterpreted the source of the fans' frustration (either that, or he's trying reframe the debate as being one of passion rather than the insult directed at the supporters). Either way, while I like his loyalty and the fact that he leaps to the defence of players, he would be sensible to be more cautious in picking his battles

While I agree with you, I do feel that his immediate priority is with the players. If he's getting results, the fans will be onside even if there are the minor gripes here and there, such as this.

He's more concerned about getting the players thinking that he is on their side, that he will stick up for them - even if it's (slightly) belittling the fans opinion (in this case). If they are bought into him, they will perform for him and the fans will be happy.

As ridiculous as it can look from the outside, the top managers are always at it - Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger... they will very rarely (and then only when they are making a point / trying to get rid of someone) come out and say anything against the players. They're trying to foster a siege mentality, so the team is strong. I don't like to see it as they tend to end up looking hypocritical, but I understand why they do it...

The Saurez comments were pointless as far as BHA are concerned, so don't fall into the same category (unless he thought he'd bring him in on loan... could do a job!)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Cloughie was a good manager elsewhere but 12/31 isnt "great" so kinda pointless calling him one of our best managers Same goes for Peter Taylor. You can have Alan Mullery though

The quote was "best manager" - not most successful during his time with us. Without doubt, Clough was the best manager we ever had, based upon his achievements in the game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think our record under Clough was the greatest you know! 12 wins in 32 matches, losing to Walton & Hersham 4-0 and Bristol Rovers 8-2 aren't results to boast about.

With a win rate of 37.5%, he is our 14th most successful manager.

With a win rate of 100%, 'Hinshelwood and Booker' (two wins from two) are in 1st
With a win rate of 55.26%, Peter Taylor (2) is in second place (21 from 38)
With a win rate of 47.65%, Gus Poyet is in third place. (71 from 149)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Pendent much?

4803_l.jpg

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
i was like a lot of people a bit pissed off when he came back because of what had happend..hes said sorry and tonight has gone a long way to getting back into my good books,as long as he gives 100% for the albion thatl do for me..we all f*** up sometimes..just score the winner against palace deano

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The etc bit, was if you look at his apologies he said he was " young and imatture" then followed bu "I have grown up and now have wife kids" thats what I meant by etc

No need to explain yourself SA, was only having a bit of fun!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ahhh someone speaking the truth on here,Cloughie was not a good manager....possibly one of the best motivators in the game at the time...in my time at the Albion I think Gus is doing everything right ...anyone who thinks different has a right of opinion...but if and when Gus leaves....who would you replace him with....we are at present top of the league and still people whinge. Gus was right to make that statement about Hammond...Hammond was getting stick from the moment his name was announced at Withdean when playing for Southampton...although some 'blinded' fans deny it...he was booed everytime....then he scores and gives it back in spades....wrong maybe....but you as young player in the heat of the moment would've probably done the same. Please get over it....his performance last night showed how happy is to be back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here