Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential FA Charge for recent pitch invasions

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As someone else said, ban people that go on the pitch from The Amex. There's no need for it. Problem solved.

Yeah great idea, ban 500 people from the new stadium that have put thousands of pounds into the club over the last 10 years, for running on the pitch to celebrate promotion / the championship, one of who is the f***ing tannoy announcer at Withdean. Very good.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
We went on the pitch because we got promoted and we won the league... in April. Every other club has a pitch invasion when they get promoted.

And the point of your statement.....why do you have to go on the pitch to show your excitement..Every other club has a pitch invasion when they get promoted...so lets be like sheep and copy them.You are young and I suppose it's a first time for you,but please respect Gus and the Club,Thank you.

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
the other two were justified for what was achieved in the games - even more so to hear paul samrah doing his nut and a load of whiny voices screaming "get off the pitch, you've ruined it"

any pitch invasions from now onwards are just pointless - tomorrow in particular, and i for one will be back to leaving five minutes before the end in order to get a bus back into town :drink:

You've been quoted on the Argus website!!

Albion fans urged not to invade the pitch From The Argus)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Have we EVER had a trophy presentation disrupted by a pitch invasion?

And what do you mean by "many will want to make their goodbyes"? The place isn't closing. It will still be used by the Albion. It will still be used by the athletics clubs.

I can see you didn't read my post properly, I said it's OUR last game there, I said nothing about it closing. Also, where did I say that it would interrupt the trophy presentation ? You really should stop reading the tabloids as you are getting into the bad habit of only seeing what you want to see. As far as it goes I'm not condoning a pitch invasion am I ? It's just that I expect quite a few people will feel the need to walk upon Withdean's 'hallowed turf' one last time.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's just that I expect quite a few people will feel the need to walk upon Withdean's 'hallowed turf' one last time.

I for one wouldn't mind a stroll on the withdean turf AFTER the celebrations have been concluded at the Hudds game. It will be an emotional day for many reasons, as much for the memories of a successful decade as for the prospect of future glories as the Albion finally gets reborn at the AMEX next season.

Whilst I was not a big supporter of the Dagenham pitch invasion I didn't think it was too bad, and the one at Walsall was incredibly well natured, and SHORT with people leaving as soon as they were asked. I can't se the fuss to be honest.

But as regards today and more importantly the immediate post-Huddersfield celebrations Gus has firmly and politely asked that there be no pitch invasions, surely it is not beyond even the most enthusiastic supporter to RESPECT those wishes.

Last edited:

Stewards, on such occasions as these, are more concerned with safety of fans and that there not be any misbehavior or harmed professionals. No way does the club want; "fan in hospital with severed artery from a falling advertising hoarding"/"referee report may mean punishment, after linesman bowled over and stepped on"/"player shirt torn off his back, Gus Poyet angry"/"opposing player reports insult and racist remark from supporter in pitch invasion at Brighton"/"FA looking into incident after fight erupts among fans" on pitch at final match at borrowed stadium" after a decade of creditable Brighton reviews and club gaining kudos. That, just in the last days of Withdean, which deserves some respect for housing us anyway - would be shameful.

It is NOT (despite what some seem to want to always paint on NSC) a matter of a challenge, a stand off of unnecessary policing, or insistence of undue reining in so that fans can't enjoy the occasion. The staff are as happy as the fans that the club gained promotion and share in the enthusiasm for the future, believe me.

I don't work for the club so have no agenda, just saying how it is.

Anyway, if Gus says what he would like to happen and not happen then as said above - that's how it needs to be.

Are our sensible fans going to be happy if a load of chavs just game for a laugh, who mostly don't even attend games on a regular basis anyway, go spoiling it for everyone else?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think we've had our fun on the pitch for this season.

Nothing wrong with doing it for getting promoted and again for the title, but probably no need for anymore now, especially at home. Never know what might happen at notts county but i reckon we'll get away with what we've done so far.

Most fans invade the pitch after promotion and/or champions!

ex-blooming-actly

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Stewards, on such occasions as these, are more concerned with safety of fans and that there not be any misbehavior or harmed professionals. No way does the club want; "fan in hospital with severed artery from a falling advertising hoarding"/"referee report may mean punishment, after linesman bowled over and stepped on"/"player shirt torn off his back, Gus Poyet angry"/"opposing player reports insult and racist remark from supporter in pitch invasion at Brighton"/"FA looking into incident after fight erupts among fans" on pitch at final match at borrowed stadium" after a decade of creditable Brighton reviews and club gaining kudos. That, just in the last days of Withdean, which deserves some respect for housing us anyway - would be shameful.

It is NOT (despite what some seem to want to always paint on NSC) a matter of a challenge, a stand off of unnecessary policing, or insistence of undue reining in so that fans can't enjoy the occasion. The staff are as happy as the fans that the club gained promotion and share in the enthusiasm for the future, believe me.

Anyway, if Gus says what he would like to happen and not happen then as said above - that's how it needs to be.

Are our sensible fans going to be happy if a load of chavs just game for a laugh, who mostly don't even attend games on a regular basis anyway, go spoiling it for everyone else?

Perfectly true however we have as many idiot fans as the next club.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

From what I understand you Steward the family stand, I've been in there a few times and never had an issue with the stewarding, it is a very different story at the far end of the south stand, where it is stewarded by people who failed as bouncers because they weren't intelligent enough and overlooked by people who seem to think it is a prison.

From what I understand you Steward the family stand, I've been in there a few times and never had an issue with the stewarding, it is a very different story at the far end of the south stand, where it is stewarded by people who failed as bouncers because they weren't intelligent enough and overlooked by people who seem to think it is a prison.

I'm not in the UK now, but when stewarding at Withdean I roamed all round the stadium and worked the Family Stand several times at intervals....but only about 3 or 4 times a season.
The suggestion that the S.Stand end is worked by "failed bouncers" I find a bit odd. From my experience, they have to work very hard to get any understanding relationship with the general occupants of that section. It's constant struggles to get everyone to work with them - and actually it is always better for all concerned when fans work with you and not against.

Don't forget that stewards don't work for the idea that they are some kind of mercenaries controlling people for their own satisfaction - they are working for the club, for club and football ground rules. They are trained in several aspects of working with football crowds, which includes assisting or taking charge in emergencies, first aid, general customer care (that means looking after those who do not want to stand or have someone block their view because they do want to, as well as simply directing people to their place they paid for on the ticket.

Yes the family stand has differing issues, as do the North and away end which have varying and almost totally different aspects.
Liken it to the highway code, and you get a better picture.

Believe me, I see how it is here in Sweden where it's like stepping back 30 years in football crowd behavior - it really is NOT better for the fans, and the football they watch suffers directly for it! Policing by real ob costs a hell of a lot! (that could be spent on better players). I also witnessed a 'fix', where both teams tried not to score so as not to have problems with an already ott crowd in a derby match (there are 6 derby games per season in Stockholm). Imagine paying just to jump up and down and stand in a mayhem where you can't sit at all, smoke is everywhere, a fire might break out, stuff comes down off the balcony and beer is splashing about, and the football you paid to watch if you are lucky to see it, is a farce. You can't take your children and you might get into a situation and get hurt.
It's nuts.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I've heard rumours up here in deepest darkest HUddersfield that if they win promotion at Withdean they will invade the pitch - What can we do about that. I've also heard 3000 are making the trip obviously alot without tickets could be an interesting day.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I've heard rumours up here in deepest darkest HUddersfield that if they win promotion at Withdean they will invade the pitch - What can we do about

Nothing to worry about. By the time they reach the pitch from the away stand we'll have packed up and gone home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here