Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential FA Charge for recent pitch invasions

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
the other two were justified for what was achieved in the games - even more so to hear paul samrah doing his nut and a load of whiny voices screaming "get off the pitch, you've ruined it"

any pitch invasions from now onwards are just pointless - tomorrow in particular, and i for one will be back to leaving five minutes before the end in order to get a bus back into town :drink:

Ironically, someone has posted a picture on the 'We are Brighton' facebook wall of Paul Samrah quite clearly on the pitch at Walsall :lol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Anyone think the FA is being heavy-handed here? There was a time when teams got promotion when a pitch invasion was almost mandatory and no-one batted an eye-lid.

Different times now though aren't they. You can't even climb a ladder without doing a risk assessment.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone think the FA is being heavy-handed here? There was a time when teams got promotion when a pitch invasion was almost mandatory and no-one batted an eye-lid.

there is no way they will do anything about the two invasions so far - winning promotion and the title are justifiable reasons for doing it. you only have to look at every other club thats done so over the last ten years to realise that. there is a particularly BRILLIANT video of 20,000 stoke fans on the pitch singing delilah when they won promotion to the premiership

its if it happens from now until the end of the season in games in which there is no point for one that we may find ourselves in trouble

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

I imagine its now illegal to go onto a pitch and most clubs could ban or prosocute people for doing this. Some of the recent pitch invasions have invloved players being man handled which is serious.

Birmingham just got a 40K fine (20K suspended) for one recentky, I hope the FA will be lenient but its about having control over your ground and fans and clearly home and away we have not at present.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyone think the FA is being heavy-handed here?

heavy handed with what? asking for an explaination? probably standard process, no doubt in reply the club has to profusely apologise for the lack of control, with the elation of promotion/championship given as mitigating circumstances. no problems, unless we start having regular invasions... hence the warning. we've had our celebrations now back to business as usuall.

have to laugh at the bit about souvenirs though, cant really imagine anyone wanting to take a piece of withdean, theres bugger all to take unless you're a scaffolder :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's difficult to know what more the club could have done to prevent it happening. Perhaps they should send the FA a tape of Paul Samrah's desperate pleas, particularly the bit when his voice went up a few octaves :lol:

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I hope that people will listen to him. I always felt that we would get away with the invasions when we got promoted/won the league- the FA will probably just slap them on the wrist and say don't do it again but if it happens after they have been warned e.g against Huddersfield then I imagine we would really be leaving the FA with no choice but to act.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Wasn’t the second pitch invasion away at Walsall?! How are the Albion as a club meant to stop fans running on the pitch at an away game?

Thus far the FA have written which is fair enough, they have to be seen to find a pitch invasion disagreeable. There is no point having a pith invasion after the game tomorrow.

I could envisage people souvenir hunting after the Hudd game, however, the threat is possibly reduced if the Albion are to still use the ground in some capacity next season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No reason for a pitch invasion against Southampton. However against Huddersfield I would like to see the players presented with their trophy then the fans INVITED onto the pitch for a final walk across the Withdean turf. Can't see the harm in this.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I agree that a pitch invasion tomorrow would be pointless and would really make us look 'small time' but I can't see people not going on the pitch against Huddersfield, despite what Gus has said.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Saps, probably untrue but 100% scaremongering

Don't worry about it

That said there is no need to go on the pitch anyway now

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Respect Gus and his wish for no pitch invasion,he asked before and was ignored,I hope fans can control their emotions but there will always be a few knob jockeys to think it is a great laugh,look at me,look at me types. Most fans will not go on the pitch.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pitch invasion for getting promotion - yes
Pitch invasion for winning the league - yes
Pitch invasion for just another win - no

Correct. The invasions are done now.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Er... we won promotion and the title after a bleak period of five years on the field, leading to overzealous and jubilant fans wanting to celebrate.

Yes, the FA aren't really very bright, are they?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As someone else said, ban people that go on the pitch from The Amex. There's no need for it. Problem solved.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
We went on the pitch because we got promoted and we won the league... in April. Every other club has a pitch invasion when they get promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here