Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posties leave it out...

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The union appear to be hoodwinking the posties into striking.

what a surprise, union justifying their existance by creating and perpetuating a greivence. i saw today the union general secretary quoted that he was "confident" the ballot reult would be for a strike. i see, confident that members will go without pay and the public massivly inconvienced to further his cause.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
It's a great wage and very comfortable, for what we do.
QUOTE]
If you think it's a "great " wage your very easily pleased & if what you do is "very comfortable" your obviously in need of more content in your duty. Personally I'm lucky to make 5 minutes on my walk but am still expected to absorb another 70 calls into my duty time in order for RM to collapse yet another duty, even though everyone on a 40 hour contract that leaves is replaced by one on 25 & we're expected to absorb the remaining 15 hours at no cost to them( 6 dutys out of 30 in the last year.)

QUOTE=Stat Brother;3155660]
lifers having it to easy for to long.
QUOTE]
seems like a bit of jealousy, can we take that you haven't got much service

Im happy to receive my post whenever. Just dont lose my play.com orders.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yes, making it all the more difficult to justify striking over this issue.

well theres politics crap in all jobs so striking because you have to actually work the hours YOU'RE SUPPOSED TOO seems f***ing ridiculous to me, if you're feeling threatened about it all then i'd start hunting for a new job now if I were you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a fair few years, but for me the key difference is that I have also spent a fair few years working great jobs for less pay, and sh*te jobs for great pay.

My point is, the bias that goes on, wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.
I don't blame my colleagues but all my DOM's have brushed so much under the carpet. Now the pressure is on, comfort zones have gone, and people can't do the job. Sadly the amount of crying wolf that has and does go on makes it hard to be sympathic now.

I don't trust either camp, I just want to be a postie for 8 hours a day, it really shouldn't be this difficult.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
well theres politics crap in all jobs so striking because you have to actually work the hours YOU'RE SUPPOSED TOO seems f***ing ridiculous to me, if you're feeling threatened about it all then i'd start hunting for a new job now if I were you.

That is just one of many issues.
As Wanderbus says we are being slashed left right and centre.
Any sign of our sickness rate going up and the office can't cope, leaving management to sort and deliver post, as there just isn't the people to do the job.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Any group of workers who think striking will achieve anything in this current climate are bloody thick.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Everyone takes the postal service for granted...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Any group of workers who think striking will achieve anything in this current climate are bloody thick.

I have to agree, whilst I don't agree with any form of striking, I don't think now is the time to hold a gun to any employer's head.

Many thousands of people are still being made redundant / unemployed and no body of workers will get much sympathy all the time that is happening.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
yes i do ,i left the post office 10 years ago because conditions we getting so poor,they were cutting back everything that moved ,was a fantastic place to work. job and finish and the job got done and the company made millions and your mail was on your doormat by 9am. it seems a new breed of fresh out of uni managers decided to use the postal service as a experiment to see how much could be cut before it bleeds itself to death,it was a awful place to work when this started so christ knows what its like now,so yes i do support thier strike if it takes place.

This is the problem managers, and people with fantastic degrees that don't know f*** all about the business.

Same crap happening where I work, lucky enough due to my position I'm allowed to work 110 miles away from the crap.

Ever since the new company took over, more and more managers have arrived. Before I would just do the job, now it takes 5 days or longer due to meetings, presentations, talking, talking and more talking for what?

Company was making a good profit, before they arrived, but ever since the changes they are now losing money. So they have more meetings, presentations, talking and more talking to work out why they are losing money, when the actual problem is them.

Is it me or is their a lack of general common sense these days? Why cant companies just tackle a job head on and work out what the issues are once they have started, instead of sitting on their bums writing silly plans and creating graphs in excel that never work anyway.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I have to agree, whilst I don't agree with any form of striking, I don't think now is the time to hold a gun to any employer's head.

Many thousands of people are still being made redundant / unemployed and no body of workers will get much sympathy all the time that is happening.

Which makes it all the harder to understand.
I supported the action 2 years ago, but it's a different world, for the time being, at least.

How many jobs were in the Argus, yesterday, I bet it wasn't 700.

2 years ago, cost me £600+, for which I got nothing.
As recgonised by our area rep.
He then went on to talk a load of tubthumping guff with no substance, because many/most of the strike action is about stuff we've had to put in place from 2 years ago.
Some, more militant offices haven't, so now the screw is being turned, we are back to square 1, because it was all fudged last time.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It seems to me the increase in business from the internet sites over the past 10 years must have been a central part of RM business. To jepoardise that seems complete folly to me.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Just watch whats happening right now. Most of the big firms that use the Royal Mail are looking elsewhere.

Soon there will be no Royal mail to strike against, and the workers will loose everything including their pensions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think getting up at 4 in the morning and getting soaked for £200 pound a week is a great wage, I gave it up because it's a very tough job and management treat you like absolute shit.

I did a paper round for 5 years for £13 a week. It's a piece of piss even when it's raining. In the summer it was actually quite enjoyable.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mate of mine is a manger at Gatwick sorting depot. He astounded me when he said that staff expected overtime for continueing to work inside of their allotted shift hours after having completed what they believed their duties were. For example, shift rota 6am - 2pm, complete allotted work at midday, either go home now or get overtime till 2pm. F**k**g crazy, let em strike and lose their jobs!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

You've hit the nail on the head their time is incompotent at best and bad judgement. They will get little sympathy from the public at present and if the strikes adds to the risk of redundancy there are not an abundance of other jobs to walk into.

I'm afraid everyone needs to get used to the fact that unless you are in the small privaleged minority you are buggered for several years to come get used to it, we are now reaping the reward of uncontrolled capitalism.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I just want to be a postie for 8 hours a day, it really shouldn't be this difficult.

EXCACTLY, RM &the public have got to understand that the days of postmen finishing 2 hours early have long gone.I dont dispute the 8 hours work for 8 hours pay its the fact that RM expect you (not ask you) to go beyond those 8 hours in order to finish wether you have other commitments or not. Remember some people dont want overtime at all,We've got people in our office whose full time earnings are low enough for them to qualify for benefits & any overtime would actually make them worse off.
By the way would anybody like to hazard a guess what the overtime rates are in this "well paid "job ?

Lush

Mods' Pet
To many lifers having it to easy for to long.
Now, rightly or wrongly the going is getting tough (blame the EU) the real world and postieland have drifted so far apart, many posties couldn't function anywhere else.

Yeah - that was then and this is now, but a lot of older employees can't get their heads round it. I will never forget someone who'd had to go in and renegotiate job terms for a local council telling me that there had been members of staff asking for compensation as "they hadn't taken all their sick days for the year." They genuinely saw sick leave as extra holiday to be taken.

:ohmy:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Something I forgot to add is the vote should have been for industrial action.A work to rule or even a withdrawal of good will would be enough .

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Nice to see this thread is a bit more balanced than the usual rabid Thatcherite or Dickensian shit that is spouted by middle class Labour 'supporters' when someone creates a minor inconvenience for them trying to protect themselves and not just taking it up the arse and being 'grateful to have a job'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here