Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Possible return of fans to the Amex (incorporating the Q and A forum on 17th August)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I don’t disagree and I’m sure you aren’t blaming the club ...but given I’m on a six day working week sadly football is one of my few escapes ....tbh one of the things I was looking forward to obviously isn’t going to happen and that’s seeing all the people I have got to know, who sit around me ...I’d like to know that they are ok.

Ps masks/face coverings in our seat would be hard to take frankly

I feel similar to you. I’m not really blaming the club, I’m blaming the government for its rules. There’s a part of me that thinks that if we don’t stand up to it, they are going to keep it like this for a very long time, if not forever.

I just think it’s sad that people are willing to except this incredibly worsened version of the football experience because that’s the first bone the government have thrown at us.

I think it would be better if no one went to make the government have a rethink. Over time, if the government don’t change the rules I think that’s what will happen and people will wonder why they started going back in the first place.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think it would be better if no one went to make the government have a rethink. Over time, if the government don’t change the rules I think that’s what will happen and people will wonder why they started going back in the first place.

That wouldn't bother the govt and all that would happen is that the clubs, in this case one you love, would be hurt by your action.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The problem is that where CV19 was ignored or lockdowns were token affairs that last ten minutes, the virus won, new cases continue at a pace, deaths march on. For example Florida and Texas.

If we regained all our freedoms NOW, an awful load of people would die.

I’m as frustrated and bored by the change to our way of life as most, but sadly filthy practices at a Chinese market have cost us all.

The Lancet would disagree with you.

I’m not going to talk about Covid on here.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So people losing their lives daily from the same infectious virus isn't a pandemic ?

No, that happens every day of every year. When it comes to deadly viruses in circulation, Covid is outside the top 20. It’s killed far less than than flu did a couple of years ago.

I won’t answer anymore questions about Covid.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Fair play to anybody considering going to games with these restrictions in place, you obviously enjoy football more than me because I can't think of many things worse than what they're proposing.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Sorry to be a dullard and I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere on this thread but a couple of questions.

For me following the Albion home and away isn't just about the football but also the social. I normally go in a group of five, I presume we will be applying in the ballot as a five we all sit in ESL but not together so I presume we are ok to apply as a five for every home game and not individually?
Travelling from the Croydon area we always have a couple of post match beers and let the queue die down at Falmer, will the concourse be kept open post match? Just an idea in order to social distance could we stay in our seat and have a post match pint in our bubble and have the highlights screened in the ground, sort of makes sense.
Is this from the start of the season or from October as per the government's original statements?
Many thanks Arkwright.
Barber talked about hopefully showing the late PL game on the big screens to encourage fans to stay behind and stagger exit times. So bars will be open, he talked about having a drink in your seat watching said game, so not sure if the law regarding drinking in your seat only applies to when the match is actually on ?

He was asked about taking drinks to seats during matches but said that was unlikely as it would require Govt legislation to change that law

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The 780,751 dead would disagree with you.

Stop being a plonker.

1.5 died of flu a couple of years ago. Was that a pandemic? Did you want a lockdown then? Probably not because the media didn’t keep going on about.

If you wanted to talk about Covid, you should’ve done it months ago on the other forum.

Either way, I think we’ve established that I don’t think it’s a pandemic, therefor all of my viewpoints regarding a return to football come from that. I’m probably not going to change your mind and you’re not going to change mine.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, that happens every day of every year. When it comes to deadly viruses in circulation, Covid is outside the top 20. It’s killed far less than than flu did a couple of years ago.

I won’t answer anymore questions about Covid.

Good.

Edit: If only you would stick to your promise.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
further info:

So, while much of the debate was around ticket allocation last night, there are some further important points for supporters to be aware of when returning to matches, such as transport, catering, masks, and other new measures which will be in place when the government allows fans back into stadia.

Track and trace: Firstly, fans must only use tickets allocated to them, and subject to it being in place, have the track-and-trace app on the phone. Currently many venues are using sign-in systems or old fashioned pen and ink guest books – but at a football stadium this just isn’t possible, but the government will need us to register who attends, should there be a localised outbreak.

So it is absolutely essential you use the ticket in your name and bring photo ID with you that matches the ticket - checks will be carried out for all fans - and when attending you have the track-and-trace app switched on. Further details on this will be shared in due course.

Mobile Tickets: During the summer we have installed new readers at our turnstiles to enable tickets to be scanned directly from mobile phones. Season-ticket holders and My Albion+ members will enter the stadium using the ticket that will be stored on their mobile phone in the Google/Apple wallet.

Further details will be released in due course. Please note this change has been made in line with government advice to reduce physical touchpoints, reduce the passing on of tickets through the black-market and to ensure compliance with the government track-and-trace scheme.

Transport: While we will offer guidance and advice on transport where we can, this is not the club’s responsibility. We strongly advise questions and concerns are directed to public and private providers, and any travel plans should carefully considered, and must concur with the government’s rules.

What we can do to help we will, for example we are looking at ways to extend parking available, and we are also considering a drop-off and pick-up facility close to, but away from stadium. Match tickets will be valid as usual on public transport across the city and further afield.

Face masks: We will follow the government and Premier League guidelines. If these require a mask to be worn, and you have a medical reason to not wear a mask, we will request that you wear a club-issued wristband to show that you are exempt from wearing the mask.

Bags: This is an important change to the entry policy, due to the restrictions in place due to the pandemic. Where possible we would actively discourage the use of all bags, however with immediate effect we will limit the size to A4 in size (so a small hand, clutch or shoulder bag is permitted). Please note that we are unable to store any bags for anyone so please do not bring any bags to the stadium that are bigger than A4 size as we will not be able to enter the stadium with them.

Temperature checks and health Q&A: We will expect all fans to be responsible – and to follow the government guidelines; for example, if you show any symptoms or have come into contact with anyone who has had symptoms you should not attend matches (in such a scenario, you should list your ticket on the ticket exchange for re-sale at the earliest possible point).

You may also be requested to complete an online heath questionnaire ahead of the match and/or be asked to take a temperature check on arrival. This may be mandatory, and will form part of the revised terms and conditions of entry during this period, but further details will be shared in due course.

Catering facilities: We do wish to allow access to a limited menu of our matchday catering options. How we do this is still to be finalised, but we are looking at various internal and external options. All transactions will now be credit or debit card only, as the stadium became a cashless venue on 1st July.

Programmes: Current advice suggests we may not be able to sell match programmes. These will be distributed to season-ticket holders and MyAlbion+ members in digital format, free of charge on matchdays. Printed versions will be available for order pre and post match, via the club’s online shop, while we are also working on a season subscription package at a discounted rate.

Toilets and washrooms: With handwashing key to limiting the spread of the virus, all toilet facilities will be accessible, while we also have installed a large number of hand sanitising stations throughout the stadium. Supporters may be permitted to bring a small (100ml or less) bottle of hand sanitiser.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1755294/return-of-fans-more-details

Useful

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
That wouldn't bother the govt and all that would happen is that the clubs, in this case one you love, would be hurt by your action.

So, we shouldn’t have boycotted in the 90’s then? It hurt the club financially, but they did it for what they thought was right. No?

If all/most of fans stopped going to all PL games, which I think will eventually happen if they keep these restrictions for long enough, then of course the government would stand up and take notice. The PL would be 100% on their backs.

If you want to extend it further and talk about tickets prices, I can say I’ve paid £10-£15 to watch the under 23’s in the League Cup in an almost empty stadium, but I don’t want to be paying £30 for something similar, even if the quality of football is a massive amount better.

I’m obviously not saying it should cost the same, and although I understand the club needs to make money, you would think they may have offered a compromise for what is an incredibly diminished experience, in my opinion.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Good.

Edit: If only you would stick to your promise.

I answered one round of questions about our favourite subject.

That ok with you? :cool:

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
Can any of the stattos on here give the odds of this happening, given a 30% capacity for the entire season?

I worked out the chances of being selected for ALL 19 games is more than a billion to one (1.16bn-1).

But what about the chances of NOT being selected for ANY? (my brain started hurting at this point..).

If you have a 30% chance to be selected for each match, your chance of being selected for all games is 30%^19, or about 1 in 8.5 billion.

Conversely, as you have a 70% of not being selected for each match, your chance not being selected for any game is 70%^19, or about 1 in 877.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If you have a 30% chance to be selected for each match, your chance of being selected for all games is 30%^19, or about 1 in 8.5 billion.

Conversely, as you have a 70% of not being selected for each match, your chance not being selected for any game is 70%^19, or about 1 in 877.

I'm making the first one 1 in 1.16 billion.

Second one is correct though!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I can...no one allowed in

Edit..misread many for any

I used to sit in the South Stand for a few games a season whilst we were in The Championship. A lot of the games the whole block would be almost empty and there was barely any atmosphere. If I tried to sing, I would get told to shut up by a steward and he would threaten to chuck me out.

I’m not sure that people realise how unpleasant an experience that can be and I think it will be similar to that when the fans are ‘allowed’ back.

So, for that reason I actually think it will be worse and more frustrating actually being in the ground than not. If the club said there would be a singing section, then that may have eased my fears, but they, apparently, said no. Which makes me wonder why?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I used to sit in the South Stand for a few games a season whilst we were in The Championship. A lot of the games the whole block would be almost empty and there was barely any atmosphere. If I tried to sing, I would get told to shut up by a steward and he would threaten to chuck me out.

I’m not sure that people realise how unpleasant an experience that can be and I think it will be similar to that when the fans are ‘allowed’ back.

So, for that reason I actually think it will be worse and more frustrating actually being in the ground than not. If the club said there would be a singing section, then that may have eased my fears, but they, apparently, said no. Which makes me wonder why?

If you had bothered to tune in you would have heard the full answer from PB.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Given some of the stuff you've posted on this thread I'm not surprised you wonder why. You seem to think everything is some sort of massive conspiracy.

Paul Barber did explain why there would be no formal singing section, when asked. I was cooking dinner whilst I was listening along to the consultation, so it did not have my full focus when it was a question I had limited interest in such as that one.

I think he said it was because the seating allocation is going to be complicated enough anyway, which I fully appreciate. (You'll probably claim it's a government conspiracy at this point, I expect)

I'm not sure if he covered it or not, but the club have never arranged a specific singing section, always favouring fans to sort out singing and atmosphere organically which, once again, I understand. (Once again though - probably the work of a nefarious government doing something evil)

I went to the 2011 Sussex Senior Cup Final at the Amex, Albion v Eastbourne Borough. Used as a ramp up event by H&S.

It was great to finally get in the stadium, but at one third full, there was absolutely no atmosphere. Best described as echoey echoey echoey echoey.

Would be different edge for a Prem game than a glorified friendly? Also completely empty stands suck out atmosphere, it won’t be the case here. The atmosphere would probably be better than many people would assume, you would get more hardcore turning up really committed to making the best of it, gallows humour n all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here