• Liquidation

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Administration

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Nothing

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Lets all laugh at Portsmouth , Lets all laugh at Portsmouth la,la,la,la ,la ,la ,la, la

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gwylan, did Mrs Gwylan give up after the threat in your signature? :lol:

What time are we due to hear the result? -15 is the least they deserve, considering their punishments up to date have been very mild. Another relegation for them would be a slight tonic if we fail to gain promotion this season.

:lolol::lolol:

That's always been one of my favourite quotes and I repeated it to her, ad nauseam.

I think the result is between 3.00 and 4.00 this afternoon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I heard HMRC are very keen to make an example out of a football club. I heard that they had their sights on Portsmouth, Southend and another I can't remember. So with Southend seemingly out of immediate trouble I wouldn't be suprised if pompey find themselves being punished severely. Out of business? Prob not but I wouldn't shed a tear if they had to start back from scratch.

I do not think they are trying to make an example out of Portsmouth. I think they are simply seeing the amount of money which is sloshing around in these clubs, and getting the hump that whilst millions is spunked on players transfers and wages they never seem to see any of it. A spokeman said that at times there has clearly been cash in these clubs, but when it comes to a decision on whether to pay their taxes or buy another player they take the latter course.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are two types of lawyer: solicitors and barristers. The case is being argued by a barrister (a QC no less, ultra expensive). Solicitors pay barristers, Portsmouth would pay the solicitors. If Portsmouth didn't pay the solicitors, the barristers cannot sue for their fees, they're not enforceable. I have no idea whether solicitors can sue or not but my guess is that there'd be little point as Portsmouth would have no assets.

But lawyers (barristers and solicitors) can be paid upfront and my guess is that they've already seen the colour of money on this, but obviously can't really comment on whether that's the case.

so portsmouth pay the solicitors, and in a separate deal the solicitors pay the barristers?

If portsmouth don't pay the solicitors, the solicitors can get away with not paying the barrister because the Barrister has no recourse to sue for it?

The barrister can't sue the solicitor, because the law system, and they can't sue portsmouth because, I presume, they are technically in a deal with the solicitor not pompey?

Can the solicitor sue portsmouth?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do not think they are trying to make an example out of Portsmouth. I think they are simply seeing the amount of money which is sloshing around in these clubs, and getting the hump that whilst millions is spunked on players transfers and wages they never seem to see any of it. A spokeman said that at times there has clearly been cash in these clubs, but when it comes to a decision on whether to pay their taxes or buy another player they take the latter course.

I don't think it's specifically about making an example or having the hump with the money sloshing around. I think they're just fed up.

They have been dicked around by so many clubs, that they seem to not be letting things get out of hand. I forget which one, perhaps one of the sheffields was recently served notice (or whatever the correct term is) for a mere £500K, which most people assume they will be able to easily find.

It's like they have a new policy of not letting the unpaid taxes grow to ridiculous levels, rather go for clubs with a £500K debt and get all money due instead of waiting until it gets to £13m and they might end up with only 20% of dues.

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
I don't think it's specifically about making an example or having the hump with the money sloshing around. I think they're just fed up.

They have been dicked around by so many clubs, that they seem to not be letting things get out of hand. I forget which one, perhaps one of the sheffields was recently served notice (or whatever the correct term is) for a mere £500K, which most people assume they will be able to easily find.

It's like they have a new policy of not letting the unpaid taxes grow to ridiculous levels, rather go for clubs with a £500K debt and get all money due instead of waiting until it gets to £13m and they might end up with only 20% of dues.

Agreed. So new policy: Don't let 'em get away with that sort of behaviour anymore... making an example will send a clear message to all.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
There are two types of lawyer: solicitors and barristers. The case is being argued by a barrister (a QC no less, ultra expensive). Solicitors pay barristers, Portsmouth would pay the solicitors. If Portsmouth didn't pay the solicitors, the barristers cannot sue for their fees, they're not enforceable. I have no idea whether solicitors can sue or not but my guess is that there'd be little point as Portsmouth would have no assets.

But lawyers (barristers and solicitors) can be paid upfront and my guess is that they've already seen the colour of money on this, but obviously can't really comment on whether that's the case.

As you say Gwylan. Let's shoot them all first. Accountants next and then politicians. Right, I'll get my gun! Ooops , I haven't got one!! Damn, first hurdle fall yet again.

TNBA

TTF

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

the solicitors wouldnt have instructed the barristers without sufficient money on account, and most barristers would insisted on this anyway

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the solicitors wouldnt have instructed the barristers without sufficient money on account, and most barristers would insisted on this anyway

"...But lawyers (barristers and solicitors) can be paid upfront and my guess is that they've already seen the colour of money on this..."

-17 has been the benchmark however Luton Town's -30 could be matched due to Portsmouth overstating the debt and diluting HMRC's voting percentage on the CVA ballot.

Sorry I've not been keeping up on this but are you saying that pompey deliberately overstated the debt in the cva papers? That they filed legal documents with a court that were deliberately misleading?

If so then I fully expect someone to go down for that. And so they f'in well; should.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

A bloody joke this whole Portsmouth thing. What a disgrace. As always the only ones who have come out good out of all of this are solicitors, barristers, managers, football players, and their agents and the tax payer gets done again.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When will we hear the result of this?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
No-one wants to see a football club go to the wall, especially one of the size and tradition of Portsmouth FC.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I think they should liquidate them and as the season has not yet started promote one team up from each league, this should be decided by a scissor kick competition with one player from each team.

BRING ON THE BAZ!!!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
An important point was made by a footy columnist in one of the papers, if Pompey have avoided paying the HMRC £37 million in tax, that is £37 million that can't be spent on schools, police and other such things because they have been frivolously spunking it away on all and sundry. That is unacceptable and I hope the court see it that way and send them into liquidation, it'll serve them right. I just feel sorry for the pompey fans who have no control over this whole sorry saga.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sorry I've not been keeping up on this but are you saying that pompey deliberately overstated the debt in the cva papers? That they filed legal documents with a court that were deliberately misleading?

If so then I fully expect someone to go down for that. And so they f'in well; should.

That is part of the claim put forward by HMRC , quite possibly debts that had been already written off reinstated to make the debt even larger so HMRC no longer had enough of a percentage on its own to block the CVA.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No-one wants to see a football club go to the wall, especially one of the size and tradition of Portsmouth FC.

Whilst I agree with that sentiment, it has to happen soon. If nothing else than just to fire a very serious warning shot across the bows of every other Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester that want to live beyond their means for a shot at the "promised land" that is the Premier League.

If every club that tries and fails gets away with it, as is the present norm, it will never be stopped. At the very least I would like to see that ridiculous ruling that "football debts are all paid in full before non-football debts" rescinded.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Leicester , Leeds and latterly Southampton have all got away with pulling a fast one there must be sooner or later a "fall guy" and it could well be Portsmouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here