Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey issued winding up petition

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In what way are the Pompey fans "suffering" right now, please?

They happen to support a mediocre Championship club. They are not battling relegation from the Football League. They haven't been mired tediously in the third division for the last God knows how long. They are just doing what nearly every other club is doing, ie not winning the league every season. The difference being, of course, that they had the tedium broken by a few Cup Final and European jollies.

God, you're right. I feel deeply sorry for them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
They already have the solution.
pompey2.jpg

I loved that idea. Fantastic.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
We off all fans realise that 'Bad Business kills football'...for the fans it is horrible to watch a club fade....so what is worst that will happen...deduct 10 points,possible relegation to Div 1...cut your losses by selling high earners...get in free transfers and your youngster and try again on a sensible wage structure. During the 60s so many clubs folded,Gateshead,Barrow,Bradford P.A. to name but a few...some get to league football...Accrington Stanley..(Who?)...Think Wrexham might get promoted and hopefully Plymouth will survive.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I loved that idea. Fantastic.

Ah yes, the Toilet Bowl.

If I remember correctly, I think they were going to build it on an invisible cloud in Portsmouth Harbour, to be constructed by a team of Oompa Loompas and leprechauns with all the hard materials transported to the site by a combination of unicorns, Chinese dragons and Santa's reindeer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The really bad news about Pompey going tits up is that Palace wont go down this season because they'll only lose a point and there will be 2 clubs instead of 3 relegated.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We off all fans realise that 'Bad Business kills football'...for the fans it is horrible to watch a club fade....so what is worst that will happen...deduct 10 points,possible relegation to Div 1...cut your losses by selling high earners...get in free transfers and your youngster and try again on a sensible wage structure. During the 60s so many clubs folded,Gateshead,Barrow,Bradford P.A. to name but a few...some get to league football...Accrington Stanley..(Who?)...Think Wrexham might get promoted and hopefully Plymouth will survive.

way too sensible and it has no appeal to Portsmouth.

It seems by refusing to sell players now in order to meet (some of) their liabilities they are accepting that it would probably be too little too late. They need to hang on to their assets such as they are to have anuy appeal to a new buyer post administration (surely no-one will buy at the moment with a minimum £32m black hole before they could even begin to build for the future. The answer is to let them sink (they will surely get more than a 10 point deduction - Leeds got 15, Luton 20 and Dundee 25 for additional infringements of solvency rules). It will probably only be a drop to League 1 and then they can sell their remaining assets and build on a more sensible footing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If they go into administration the debts shrink to about £2M , the FL will only give them a 10 points deduction as their previous encounter with administration was in the PL. HMRC might get the winding up order but could end up with peanuts as there is no money left to pay the creditors.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Ah yes, the Toilet Bowl.

If I remember correctly, I think they were going to build it on an invisible cloud in Portsmouth Harbour, to be constructed by a team of Oompa Loompas and leprechauns with all the hard materials transported to the site by a combination of unicorns, Chinese dragons and Santa's reindeer.

But it did have good road access and plenty of parking.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For those that have asked, this is what the table would look like if Results against portsmouth are voided:

20120124minuspoints.jpg

As mentioned in another thread, last year when discussing plymouth being near the precipice, it was highlighted that there was a precedent for giving 3 points for games unplayed (failure to fulfil a fixture is usually awarded as a 3-0 loss), if so, the table would look like this:

20120124pluspoints.jpg

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If we ever want football to return to any degree of sanity then some clubs are going to have to be made an example of. Portsmouth might just be the start the game needs. I like to think of it as a positive thing (although I feel for their fans).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They already have the solution.
pompey2.jpg

I've never quite UNDERSTOOD that stadium.

Aren't the people at the top of that gigantic urinal design looking through (a) another roof, (b) the back of another stand and (c) a jumbotron ?

Handy for the trains, sure. But the sightlines are surely questionable.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Quite so but you might not feel the same if we missed out on the Play Offs on goal difference.

I would. Their actions over the last few years have been completely disgraceful, and an embarrassment to the whole of football, IMHO. We would all feel a lot better if we see that clubs paying MILES beyond their means, even AFTER the proverbial has hit the fan, do not ultimately get away with such behaviour.

If, with Pompeys result expunged, someone moves above us in the table, so be it, they deserve to be there.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Changing the subject slightly, did anyone else get annoyed during last nights game when the commentator kept on about how these clubs deserved their place in the limelight after all the financial difficulties they have suffered in recent years?

Like it wasn't any of their own doing, or am I being too harsh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here