Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey issued winding up petition

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Any stattos out there that could work out how it would affect other teams in the Championship if Pompey were to go tits up, and what points they would lose/gain?

As far as I can see the big losers are West Ham who lose 6 pts, Cardiff lose 4, then Us, Hull, Peterborough, Leeds, Ipswich, Derby, Watford, Millwall lose 3, Leicester lose 2, (2 draws), Bristol City, Palaarse, Southampton 1 each. everybody else no points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is this not just a case of a club being in denial then ?

Who or what is 'the club', particularly in this case?

It seems to be that with the revolving door on the owner's office at Fratton Park, there has been next to no continuity in the administration of the club. The only people that have been there throughout are the fans and they are just like you and I - people who just want to be able to go and watch their club and enjoy a few wins here and there.

I don't really buy the "they didn't complain when they were in the Premiership with England players and winning the Cup" type lines either. Most fans are relatively simple folk and they were just buying the dream sold to them in the same way that Chelsea, Manchester City and Brighton fans have done. A £100m stadium is living well beyond our organically generated means and we have put faith in a man with limited visible traces of wealth. Pompey fans did the same.

All that said, it does feel like a well-known club has to fold in order for the football authorities to start looking after clubs properly, such as making sure there is proper tests of ownership and scrapping this ridiculous "football creditors get paid first" rule.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I do still find it hard to understand the lack of sympathy towards the fans of Pompey. Why did anyone give a shit about Plymouth if they care so little about Portsmouth?

Because Plymouth fans were let down by their failure to become an Olympic venue and their fans are a lot nicer, not hard I know. Whilst Pompey were doing well but living on borrowed time their fans were full of it, especially as both Saints and ourselves weren't. They are not a bunch of individuals who invoke much sympathy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Any idea who gains ? They have picked up a few points haven't they ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So sell some players. This is the big issue most people have with PFC.

The fact that they spanked millions (fine, up to them) but when it came back to bite them on the arse, tried to avoid responsibility for their actions. They are more concerned about getting relegated than paying their debts off, otherwise they'd be fielding a team of reserves, not signing guys on £20k a week.

If I owed the taxman thousands, do you think he'd accept me refusing to pay back what was owed on the basis that I'd rather spend the money on a new car?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Plymouth didn't continually take the piss like pompey have, nor did they welcome every shady character into their club without question then make no effort to save their club when the shit did hit the fan. f*** pompey, I hope their fans enjoy there big games in the ryman.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011

The fact that they spanked millions (fine, up to them) but when it came back to bite them on the arse, tried to avoid responsibility for their actions. They are more concerned about getting relegated than paying their debts off, otherwise they'd be fielding a team of reserves, not signing guys on £20k a week.

If I owed the taxman thousands, do you think he'd accept me refusing to pay back what was owed on the basis that I'd rather spend the money on a new car?

What if the only way you could earn money to pay him back was by driving to and from work? Sell the car and then you'd have no prospect of ever giving him any money.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

is the correct answer

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I feel the fans, the FA have alot to answer for, fit and proper person test my ass.

But why does it come down to the FA who takes over the club? Surely Pompey have as much (more in fact) responsibility to carry out due diligence? I fail to see how PFC can blame the FA for a sale that they themselves MUST have agreed to. If Pompey thought he was dodgy then they shouldn't have gone ahead.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What if the only way you could earn money to pay him back was by driving to and from work? Sell the car and then you'd have no prospect of ever giving him any money.

I'd sell the car and buy a cheaper one, not a top spec brand new BMW, is the simple answer.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why is it the previous owners expect all their money back when the creditors got f*** all?

Also as we are half way through the season and everyone has played them once they should just scrub the games from 24 onwards.

No doubt they will weasel out of it again.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Why is it the previous owners expect all their money back when the creditors got f*** all?

Also as we are half way through the season and everyone has played them once they should just scrub the games from 24 onwards.

No doubt they will weasel out of it again.

I think some clubs, (West Ham and Leicester for starters), have played them twice.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do still find it hard to understand the lack of sympathy towards the fans of Pompey. Why did anyone give a shit about Plymouth if they care so little about Portsmouth?
Because Plymouth were 'done unto'. Yes they shouldn't have overspent, but they were trying to maintain a Championship side and were trying to match the wages paid by the likes of Portsmouth. In other words Portsmouth's financial impropriety transmitted itself like a virus to other clubs. And all the while clubs like Portsmouth and Leeds can get away with it there will continue to be more Plymouths and Darlingtons.

I'm usually a real hawk in these situations but even I felt a bit sorry for Plymouth. However it will be better for football if the current Portsmouth FC go bust. Won't happen though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who or what is 'the club', particularly in this case?

It seems to be that with the revolving door on the owner's office at Fratton Park, there has been next to no continuity in the administration of the club. The only people that have been there throughout are the fans and they are just like you and I - people who just want to be able to go and watch their club and enjoy a few wins here and there.

I don't really buy the "they didn't complain when they were in the Premiership with England players and winning the Cup" type lines either. Most fans are relatively simple folk and they were just buying the dream sold to them in the same way that Chelsea, Manchester City and Brighton fans have done. A £100m stadium is living well beyond our organically generated means and we have put faith in a man with limited visible traces of wealth. Pompey fans did the same.

All that said, it does feel like a well-known club has to fold in order for the football authorities to start looking after clubs properly, such as making sure there is proper tests of ownership and scrapping this ridiculous "football creditors get paid first" rule.

I don't blame the fans, but courtesy of PFC and the taxman they've been dining at the top table for 8-10 years, enjoying Cup Finals, Europe, superstar players, lording it over the likes of Southampton and ourselves. Well now the party is well and truley over. They've had the good times on tick because their club neglected to pay anything they owe other than their players (and themselves of course, with the Mandaric / Rednkapp / Storrie snouts deep in the trough).

Do I feel sorry for the fans ? To an extent. But they've had a ride to the top they had no right to. Portsmouth FC WILL continue to exist in one form or another, of that I am absolutely certain, but they might just have to accept the fact that payback time could (and SHOULD) mean plummetting down the leagues. They can be resurrected if they stick by their club and "do an Aldershot", but no WAY does that club deserve Championship football right now.

If that means being wound up and starting again then so be it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here