Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll;- Are you ashamed of your national heritage?

Are you ASHAMED of being English??

• No, not at all

Votes: 97 91.5%
  • Yes, I have shame

Votes: 9 8.5%

• Total voters

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
As the product of a mixed race relationship (Arab and English) I am very much undecided on this issue.

Obviously I am proud of the multi-culturalism of this country. I loved living in London for the past year and I love living in Brighton. Throughout my school days and for the most part at Uni I have never had any issues with my peers and friends.

What I am ashamed of is the pig ignorance of cultures that seems to have crept in recently. It's a sad state of affairs that the older I have got, the more instances of racially motivation antagonism I have come across. Whether it be abuse on the football field (In, Devon London and Brighton) or even the odd passing comment in the street or on a night out, it is a sad state of affairs. This country is going backwards rapidly.

tell that to the bits and pieces that are left of mohammad saddiq khan

Mate, to me that man was as English as you and I, he was born and bred in Yorkshire and nothing can change that.
Trouble is he was brainwashed into thinking that blowing himself up as part of a supposed Jihad would make him a martyr and get straight to heaven and plenty of virgins.
Did he actually say he wasn't English when he made those video tapes before he committed those atrocities?

We stepped into the First and Second World Wars with no clear benefit to ourselves. We did it because we stand up to injustice not because there was the potential for gain. We have paid the price ever since.

Post rationalists can read into our actions whatever they like, but I am personally proud that as a nation we stood up for what is right and did it for the best of reasons. And I believe that as a nation we would do so again. That is indeed an admirable trait.

I agree with you about the Second World War, but the only reason we entered the First World War was because of misguided rampant imperialism and treaties with other countries.

I suppose so. Perhaps it would have been better to say that the conditions that allowed the partition did in part come from the colonial rule.

Yes in part I agree with that, but with the majority of the Muslim population in the north west of India then partition was always going to happen.
As this made it easier than if for example the Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus had been equally spread over the sub-continent.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Mate, to me that man was as English as you and I, he was born and bred in Yorkshire and nothing can change that.
Trouble is he was brainwashed into thinking that blowing himself up as part of a supposed Jihad would make him a martyr and get straight to heaven and plenty of virgins.
Did he actually say he wasn't English when he made those video tapes before he committed those atrocities?
so according to your criteria , gerry adams and martin mcguiness, committed republicans and irish catholics both of them, are as british as you and i ?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Yes in part I agree with that, but with the majority of the Muslim population in the north west of India then partition was always going to happen.
As this made it easier than if for example the Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus had been equally spread over the sub-continent.

Agreed.

so according to your criteria , gerry adams and martin mcguiness, committed republicans and irish catholics both of them, are as british as you and i ?

Being a Catholic has nothing whatsoever to do with being British or not, I'm Catholic and proud of it and also proud to be English/British.
I would say that technically Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness are British as they were, as far as I'm aware born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and as such were brought up in a British education, social and welfare system and are also entitled to British passports.
They however would probably disagree with me.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Being a Catholic has nothing whatsoever to do with being British or not, I'm Catholic and proud of it and also proud to be English/British.
I would say that technically Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness are British as they were, as far as I'm aware born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and as such were brought up in a British education, social and welfare system and are also entitled to British passports.
They however would probably disagree with me.
as mohammed siddique khan would have.

as mohammed siddique khan would have.

Yes that is probably true, but as I said in a previous post he was born and bred in England, so to me that makes him English. I couldn't care less if he was so brainwashed that he may have chosen to renounce his nationality.

It would be interesting to know if he renounced his nationality before he committed the atrocities.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm ashamed, really ashamed...

...of the English national football team. What a bunch of spoilt wankers eh?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you about the Second World War, but the only reason we entered the First World War was because of misguided rampant imperialism and treaties with other countries.

I agree, Britain entering WWI was probably the biggest foreign policy mistake in British (maybe even world) history.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yes that is probably true, but as I said in a previous post he was born and bred in England, so to me that makes him English. I couldn't care less if he was so brainwashed that he may have chosen to renounce his nationality.

It would be interesting to know if he renounced his nationality before he committed the atrocities.

would you need to make an explicit statement renouncing your technical nationality to prove you did not really consider yourself British or English, or that you considered your religion to be your 'nationality', in effect?

Or could we all just take an educated guess as he blew himself up.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

I disagree. The only country that was guilty of misguided rampant imperialism was Germany. The new industrialised Germany posed a greater threat to continental Europe than Prussia did. Prussia alone had defeated France in 1870. The writing was on the wall for the British Government at the start of WWI regardless of our obligation to Belgium.

In that way our reasons for going to war was more similar to 1939, Britain could have stayed out but the choices were stark. With the other continental powers of Europe defeated or allied to Germany it would have only been a matter of time before German demands would have forced Britain to fight or make strategic concessions.

That is not to say there were not 'compensations' for Britian in going to war with a European power challenging Britain's status, however the commitments and size of the 'contemptible' British Army in 1914 tells you that there were no aspirations for going to war on any large scale and certainly not with Germany in Europe.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As an Englishman living in Wales it bought it home to me just how English I am ....but as well as being English I am British as well.

but unfortunately most Welsh that live in my area do not consider themselves British at all it is live living in a foreign country.
the original word "Welsh" in old English meant foreigner which says it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here