Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll;- Are you ashamed of your national heritage?

Are you ASHAMED of being English??

• No, not at all

Votes: 97 91.5%
  • Yes, I have shame

Votes: 9 8.5%

• Total voters

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm proud of some of our history and heritage and ashamed of other parts of it. Shouldn't everyone be? Regardless of their nationality?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree. SOME people do use imigration as a means to keep things white or pure or whatever you want to call it.

I just think its out of control. Have you seen the people trying to get into britian from france. Its mental.

What do you suggest? I hear so many people complaining about it but so few coming up with reasonable, sensible, workable, non racist solutions.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
İbrahim Tatlıses;2866203 said:
I'm proud of Britains history, embarrassed by British culture.

Agreed!

You don't have to be proud of your birthplace. Like some have said on here, it's just incidental to your birth that it happened to be there.

However, to feel shame in being born here is another thing.
I can't think of many countries in the world that have NO reason to feel sad about something that has been done by their countrymen - in personal or international politics, or for something represented by their national leaders.
We could all make lists of good vs bad things about our nation, and I believe many other nationals could do the same.

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
There is nothing wrong with being against mass imigration. It does not make you a nazi or BNP or a racist. It just means that you are against uncontrolled levels of people entering the country. f***, imigration is not even the iligals that enter.

The UK has had formal immigration controls since 1905 (when the government sought to exclude refugees from the failed Russian uprising) and has had no primary immigration from the "New Commonwealth" since the early 1970's. How is that "uncontrolled" ?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Because the independence was to soon does that make it right? I'm not forgetting them 3 but I was thinking specifically of the Kashmir problem. We didn't exactly shower ourselves in glory during the Opium Wars and just because Irish landowners acted badly does it excuse our behaviour?

Was there a Kashmir problem befour 1948?

You cannot judge history on mondon feelings.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
The UK has had formal immigration controls since 1905 (when the government sought to exclude refugees from the failed Russian uprising) and has had no primary immigration from the "New Commonwealth" since the early 1970's. How is that "uncontrolled" ?

Even the bloody Home office has said some parts of it are uncontrolled.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
What do you suggest? I hear so many people complaining about it but so few coming up with reasonable, sensible, workable, non racist solutions.

Thats not my job.

I realise its a tough one. Easyier than most countrys becouse we are a Island.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am ashamed every year on holiday in Ibiza to be British/English because of the chavs and slags that I see behaving like ***** whilst drunk or stoned (which is large chunk of their waking hours). Other nationalities can have their twats but we are world champions in this particular genre.

I am not ashamed by our heritage, as every nation has it's skeletons and I had f*** all to do with ours, so why should I feel ashamed?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I am ashamed every year on holiday in Ibiza to be British/English because of the chavs and slags that I see behaving like ***** whilst drunk or stoned (which is large chunk of their waking hours). Other nationalities can have their twats but we are world champions in this particular genre.

tis true.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
hundreds of thousands of eastern europeans , driving dow wages for the average working man is uncontrolled , the amount of bogus " asylum seekers" who ar not deported is uncontrolled
, you know full well what he meant, you're just trying to confuse the issue .

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
hundreds of thousands of eastern europeans , driving dow wages for the average working man is uncontrolled , the amount of bogus " asylum seekers" who ar not deported is uncontrolled
, you know full well what he meant, you're just trying to confuse the issue .

Can I just ask, is a Polish man not an average man? Can you give us some stats on the amount of Eastern Europeans coming in? Likewise with the bogus asylum seekers. From what I can tell with the pound the way it is most of the Eastern Europeans are f***ing off back home. Also how are these eastern europeans driving down the wages? Surely it is the system that regulates emplyment and the movement of labour that drives wages down?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Can I just ask, is a Polish man not an average man? Can you give us some stats on the amount of Eastern Europeans coming in? Likewise with the bogus asylum seekers. From what I can tell with the pound the way it is most of the Eastern Europeans are f***ing off back home. Also how are these eastern europeans driving down the wages? Surely it is the system that regulates emplyment and the movement of labour that drives wages down?
MWUK - The Impact of Immigration on low paid British workers

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I get confused by all of this.

It's like asking if you're still proud of your son after he's stolen from you or something.. It's impossible to answer.

Am I proud to be English?

Well I AM English and I have no shame in saying so what so ever. But, am I proud of the way some of the people from this country act/think? No, no I'm not. Does that mean I'm ashamed of my country? No.

I often associate pride with ignorance.. a bit like blind "becasue I do" loyalty really.
It should be a positive, inclusive thing, not a negative, exclusive one. Which is what it seems to have become.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here