Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poland v England Unofficial Match Thread

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There was also a game against Bradford (I think) which we won in a goalfest, 4-3, or 3-2. That was quite possibly the wettest I remember getting at Withers.

Are you thinking of Cheltenham, I think Robbie Savage's debut where all the goals came within 2 minutes of kick off and after half time? Was seriously wet that day I remember.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would assume so. It's only one extra night and he may not even play. It is not like he is an outfield player who may have used every ounce of energy he has.

Playing Wednesday - Saturday should be no problem for a keeper or outfield player. The annoyance is that unless he has a flight booked straight after the game he's likely to miss an extra day's training with the Albion.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well I thought ITV's coverage yesterday was brilliant (never thought I'd say that), probably better than if the match had actually been played.
Adrian Chiles asking Roy Keane when does heavy rain become a downpour was comedy gold.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Polish FA confirms it will refund England fans' unused tickets for last night's postponed game between Poland and England.

The very least they can do, surely?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It has nothing to do with the player passing it, or the direction of the ball.

A player is in an offside position if he is ahead of the ball and there are fewer than two opposing players between him and his opponents' goal. Being in an offside position isn't an offence unless, in the opinion of the referee he is involved in active play (by interfering with play, interfering with an opponent or gaining an advantage by being in the position).

In this instance, he is not offside because he was judged to be behind the ball when it was played (looking at the goal on youtube, you can't really see him until the ball has been played, even so, looking at where he appears from on the video it does look marginal - otherwise he would have been because there was only one opposing player closer to the goal than him).

Don't think that is quite true. Unless it changed, you can only be offside if the ball is kicked forwards. So if there are no opposition in front and you square or play the ball back, that is okay, but if you pass it forward, its offside !! Hence you can never be offside from a corner as the ball must be played square or backwards to remain in play

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't think that is quite true. Unless it changed, you can only be offside if the ball is kicked forwards. So if there are no opposition in front and you square or play the ball back, that is okay, but if you pass it forward, its offside !! Hence you can never be offside from a corner as the ball must be played square or backwards to remain in play

I don't know when it changed, but for at least the last three years it has been as I said it was (closer to the goal than the ball and the second to last opposing player).
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf (page 35).

offside.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So, programme just about to start on ITV again. How long before somone says "Deja vu" or "Groundhog Day"?

I'm going for 20 seconds

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
WOW. 152 posts and they haven't even kicked off yet. England matches must be getting more popular. :facepalm:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Crap so far. Only other comment, must be the largest dugouts ever.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Looking at live text as my only way to keep informed - it all seems to be about ENgland giving the ball away.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rooney is awful

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would not play Rooney for England. He has let us down time and time again. Yes, I know he will probably go and score now.

Edit: He just has :) :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here