Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Point of the Travel Vouchers?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The best solution will (hopefully) be the smartcard integration:

1. You buy a match ticket/season ticket and it is loaded onto your smartcard.
2. You add 'travel' as an option at point of purchase and this too is loaded onto the card.
3. You use the card for both travel (like Oyster in London) and ground entry.

This will only work if ALL tickets are smart-cards AND trains and buses are equipped to read the correct information. Those collecting tickets at the ground (eg your first match and there isn't time to post the card out) will have to pay for travel themselves (like other passengers not attending the football).

I see travel vouchers as a bit of a stop-gap fudge.
but you'll neeed have card readers at every node and interchange point. Nice and easy in London where there is a large and fairly constant level of demand but probably too expensive for installation for use twice or three times A MONTH (for example - this season - two home games a month in September,October, November, december, january

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've bought my travel vouchers, because they are required for travel whether they are checked or not. I also don't pinch newspapers from the front of a shop just because the shop keeper won't see me.

Whether the travel voucher scheme is enforceable or not, I've paid my fares that are properly due. For £1 return, it is an absolute bargain which many many other clubs do not run at all. To be honest, there are hundreds of rail routes on match days where rail tickets will not be checked. I'd always rather pay my way regardless.

All very commendable but the scheme wasn't very well thought out. I used one of the football special buses and as I hadn't brought a travel voucher offered to pay. The reply was "can't take cash mate so just hop on". So despite the bus company saying you could use a voucher or pay on use, and that they are in the business of collecting money for travel, they hadn't bothered to equip the driver with the capability to taking money. Coming home I didn't even bother to offer to pay - just got on. Glad I did as well as someone after me tried to use a voucher and was told that the bus was for season ticket holders only !

Either the club didn't communicate with supporters and travel companies very well, or the travel companies didn't communicate with their drivers very well or both. It needs sorting for the fairness to those who have brought vouchers and to those of us that just want to work out how to get to Falmer and how much it will cost us.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Well my & my 2 kids got the bus from & back to Lewes. The driver was taking vouchers for each passenger and those who didn't have them but waved their smart cards got a shake of the head from driver and had to pay up.

Was this bus service a football special or a scheduled service. I wanted to use normal services to get to the stadium i.e number 12 and then no.25 but was told by the bus company I could not use my travel voucher on normal services. Does this sound correct?

Does that also mean that everything displayed outside shops is free - it's out of the doors so surely they're offering FREE STUFF! Or maybe just that tickets for travel are a new concept that came in with the introduction of ticket barriers - before that it was all free....

Well thank you for patronising end to the comment. Yes I have stumbled across the outrageous concept that the vouchers should still be purchased and used whether the barriers are open or not. I am not going to pay for the vouchers if this is the case and neither will or would half the people I spoke to on the platform who said that if they are open, they would not pay. I appear to be hiting the nerve on this thread of the high and mighty travel voucher holders who would probably have not bothered shelling £30 or whatever if they had know they would be open.

If, like the Donny game they are going to offer free travel due to whatever reason (something to do with undelivered vouchers) then I would like to be told. Furthermore, people will also want to buy tickets from London Road station as they will not have season tickets/travel vouchers and this comes back to my original point that there needs to be adequate facilities, i.e. not one crashing, shitty, money eating ticket machine, in order to do this.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Was this bus service a football special or a scheduled service. I wanted to use normal services to get to the stadium i.e number 12 and then no.25 but was told by the bus company I could not use my travel voucher on normal services. Does this sound correct?

No this was a scheduled service, either the 28 or 29 from Lewes to Brighton, stopping at Sussex Uni. All Brighton & Hove buses should be ok, but i don't think the Big Lemon buses are included in the voucher scheme.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
No this was a scheduled service, either the 28 or 29 from Lewes to Brighton, stopping at Sussex Uni. All Brighton & Hove buses should be ok, but i don't think the Big Lemon buses are included in the voucher scheme.

Thank you anyway. I ended up driving my car to Rottingdean and using the voucher on the "special" but from your experience I should have been able to bus from Peacehaven using my voucher. That is what I was intending to do until I checked with the bus company

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here