Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Point of the Travel Vouchers?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mill Road Park and Ride. Collected tickets on the way out and didn't bother on the way back-presumably as they knew we needed them to get there in the first place.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interestingly, we were told by an Albion official yesterday that the last two trains to arrive at the ground before kick off yesterday had twelve and eight people get off at Falmer respectively :lol:

Guess we were all desperate to get in early & enjoy the new surroundings eh?

Sep 1, 2010
I popped into the Brighton Buses travel shop on friday and they told me i only need a season tiket smart card to get free travel to and from the stadium. The lady i asked did not know at all, she then asked a lady that was sitting in the back office, the lady in the back office then made a phone to ask, and it was still the wrong answer

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why DID they insist on separate travel vouchers? Smartcards and paper tickets could have been 'Ticket and Voucher' combined. I know there's a VAT difference but ever since the club have put a price on the vouchers you know that when you buy a ticket x amount is VATtable (match ticket) and y amount is zero-rated (travel voucher). And as per Withdean purchasing a travel voucher would be compulsory.

And the vouchers do make a difference. The club obviously don't have to do them, after all we didn't have them at the Goldstone, but the cheap travel means I use the buses. If the vouchers didn't exist I would drive and park 'somewhere'.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
And the vouchers do make a difference. The club obviously don't have to do them, after all we didn't have them at the Goldstone, but the cheap travel means I use the buses. If the vouchers didn't exist I would drive and park 'somewhere'.

Maybe Lord B will confirm, but I think 'subsidised travel' was part of the planning conditions.

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
I got on at Seaford and was told that the free travel that the voucher entitles you to is only valid Lewes to falmer, so I had to buy a Seaford to Lewes ticket. Of course I argued this point and he asked to see the documents with the boundries on it. I didn't have this, so he gave up. But it does seem like it hasn't been communicated very well.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
All you need is one or two people at the exit to collect the vouchers. What has the station size got to do with it?

And the special trains after 2pm to Preston Park from Brighton were often rammed.
But they seemed to stop even trying to collect the vouchers about five years ago.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I got on at Seaford and was told that the free travel that the voucher entitles you to is only valid Lewes to falmer, so I had to buy a Seaford to Lewes ticket. Of course I argued this point and he asked to see the documents with the boundries on it. I didn't have this, so he gave up. But it does seem like it hasn't been communicated very well.

I'm pretty sure the map of the free travel zone is printed on the BACK of the travel voucher.

At least, I think that was the case with the 3 the club sold me yesterday morning that didn't seem to actually be needed anywhere.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
As there are stewards at every P&R site I don't get why they can't give them a money belt and a book of tickets and allow pay on the day.

Makes good sense for those who may not make every game & don't want to fork out for a seasons worth of travel vouchers. Also, with the online deals from Southern, for anyone travelling from the Eastbourne/Hastings area, it makes no sense buying vouchers as the free travel zone only starts at Lewes. Example - Yesterday, a return from Bexhill to Falmer cost £5 with a network card. The difference buying a return to Lewes is pennies.

For weekday matches, chances are many more will want to drive which is where having the facility of paying at Mithras House on the day will be useful.

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
I'm pretty sure the map of the free travel zone is printed on the BACK of the travel voucher.

At least, I think that was the case with the 3 the club sold me yesterday morning that didn't seem to actually be needed anywhere.

not on the back of the individual vouchers, I didn'y take the whole book. The funny thing was I was with 2 fans without vouchers, and the bloke said the travel came free with the ticket.

I have no intention of buying a Travel Voucher. My return train ticket from Glynde to Falmer is cheaper than a return ticket from Glynde to Lewes PLUS a Travel Voucher. If Glynde was in the travel zone, this wouldn't be the case, but it isn't - despite being only two stops from Falmer.

Who will be the losers of money the rail or bus company or the club?
Who is paying for the use of Senior Citizens Bus Passes on the Park & Ride services? Certainly not the City Council, surely? They fund the travel concession when it is used on registered local bus services in the City, but the Park & Ride buses are not registered local bus services.

I was surprised to see the barriers down at Falmer upon getting off the train. I however had no ticket yet had intended to buy one yet there lies a problem and indeed with any other fans that were travelling from London Road station. The station cannot cope with the demand for rail tickets. There was nobody in the tivket booth and not a soul working there on behalf of southern rail. Coupled with this, there is still one bloody ticket machine on the left side (Falmer bound) platform. The machine yesterday bloody crashed on me and my mate and had our money eaten up and no tickets given to us. This then left about 100 people without tickets. If they do decide to enforce the purchasing of tickets and vouchers this absolutely has to be sorted out as it was a complete joke. There were a good few on the platform, 200 odd, waiting for the 1.55 P.M. train and I can imagine a lot of people will use that station.

Simply the club should give us free travel until they can make the right calls to sort all the problems out there. I don't mind paying 3 pound odd for the train, yet I'm not losing money again on the crappy, single machine that was there and due to close proximaty of the ground I would expect really that when travelling from there or Moulsecomb we should get free travel after shelling £400 on season tickets. Plus I had no idea the barriers would be open and would hope this is communicated so I don't piss money up the wall in dodgy machines and wasted tickets.

Homebird

Oct 26, 2010
Travel Vouchers

We got the P&R at Brighton Racecourse and just got on the bus along with some away fans - no voucher was asked for although we had them at the ready, some didn't have one. No point in having them if anyone can use the buses - and after the game those with vouchers had to join the queues whether you had a ticket or not. A few teething problems but give it a few weeks and it might change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here