Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Point of the Travel Vouchers?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Yesterday both the train and buses said if you had a season ticket it was free to get on them anyway.

what is the point of buying the travel voucher books then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody at Falmer station collecting vouchers so why did I spend £30 and how do the rail company/bus company get paid surely they should exchange the vouchers for an actual ticket thereby the rail. bus company having the voucher instead of cash to reclaim their fares.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was told by rail staff that the club had not been able to send out all the travel vouchers, and until they are able to do this rail travel will be free to folk with a ticket. I presume this is because if the rail company demanded vouchers it would penalize all those folk who have ordered tickets but not yet received them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But surely even when everyone has received their travel vouchers, actually collecting them at the station is going to be too big an ask.

It never seemed to be an issue for Withdean.

bognorandy

Aug 5, 2008
Bognor Regis
I thought the same as its clear on the train by the time it gets to Worthing there's absolutely no chance of a conductor being able to move down the train at all. When I got on at Barnham train was surprisingly quiet but by Shoreham packed out so why do Southern only put on 4 carriages, same on way home. Train was that full leaving Brighton it left early, who's ever heard of a train leaving before it should?!! Could've saved myself £30. Just out of interest if we dont hand over tickets is it more money in the clubs pocket or have they agreed a price in advance with bus/train companies regardless of how many people use it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Still cannot understand why the vouchers cannot be exchanged for tickets at the station ticket office or a bus ticket on the buses. The problem could arise if people use both bus and train but that could be overcome by stipulating that you use one or the other. Problem solved travel company gets paid we get to Amex and back ticket inspectors can check if they want.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Withdean never saw even half the numbers we can get at the Amex

At Withdean vouchers were collected as you exited the train station. I presume the same would apply at the AMEX. And only one train load of supporters arrives at a time. What's the difference?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are the exits at Falmer smaller than Preston Park? Could they not position staff at the end of the walkway from the station and then move to the exit for the other platform depending on which train has come in. Both exits from the platforms come out at the same point on the approach to the stadium, side by side of each other.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The difference is the trains are fuller and the station is smaller

All you need is one or two people at the exit to collect the vouchers. What has the station size got to do with it?

And the special trains after 2pm to Preston Park from Brighton were often rammed.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I presume that the £1 per ticket is divided up between the train and bus companies remembering that Southern and Brighton buses are the same owners, also that if the club has sold 20000 vouchers there is going to be very little ticketless travel so no point making massive bottlenecks at the entrances and exits to try and find the odd ticketless traveller.
It is called common sense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The difference is the trains are fuller and the station is smaller

Whatever. But, I really do not think it is beyond the wit of man to position enough members of staff at the exit to collect the vouchers upon exit.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Showed my season ticket card at brighton as well as hove and was let through. I think with so many people they just dont bother

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wonder if the slackness of it all with last long? I have a feeling they'll do a crack down soon. Potentially a fine for those making the journey from Brighton station to Falmer.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Whatever. But, I really do not think it is beyond the wit of man to position enough members of staff at the exit to collect the vouchers upon exit.

I'm not having a go. I'm just saying that from what I've seen it would be a very big ask to have people checking the tickets of that many people each and every week. And it would also likely cause significant delays.

I never caught the train to Withdean so I don't know how busy that got, but you cannot deny we are dealing with a much greater number of fans now

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here