Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So do you charge the customer the trade price of the boiler you supply or the full retail price?

I would expect to pay the full retail price, possibly a small discount but certainly not as low as trade. It is what it says a price for the trade. What do you pay for car parts on a service or to have a clutch changed trade or retail?. I think that answers the question.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
A decent Gas Safe registered installer who has served a 4/5 year apprenticeship with 10-20 years experience should be earning 50k plus, in reality and in this climate I doubt that most are.
Why the f*** shouldn't a decent tradesman earn good money? I can't abide all this blue collar/ white collar bullshit, I know financial advisors/ IT consultants who earn 50k plus and you can put their qualifications on the back of a fag packet but no one bats an eyelid ffs!
As for the price of the boiler if the tradesman is supplying the boiler and honouring the warranty period why wouldn't he mark it up from cost, do you go into a shop and ask for cost price?
When I was self employed I generally passed on half my trade discount to the customer and kept half. I didn't rip people off and I also didn't make thousands either.
If you don't like it get off your arse and get yourself to college!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Emergency plumber charged me £160 last week to clear blocked toilet/drain. He was here about an hour (maybe hour and a half). Given where the blockage was I couldn't have cleared myself. It took about five calls before I could get anyone to come out on a Saturday, and by the time he turned up I was in no condition to argue the price.

Expensive but better than having to take a crap in the garden.

AAAAhhhhhh the relief.............

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
jeez..some thoughts not in order..

A Combi swap over is around £2000+vat plus £90 for a Magna Clean filter -thats for a Vailant or WBosch.
If it needs a power flush as well, that £450+vat (inc £200 materials)

Seven Stands price included bits like a pump and 3 port valve which wouldn't be included in combi swap over..

£600 a day is near Pimlico Plumbers rate (£95P/H) - extremely rare and based on outrageous call out charges - £200-£300 per day (plus vat) nearer the mark IMO.

Why work hard with suppliers to get good trade prices, and then not make something out of it ? Personally, i split my discount with clients, so they know i get something out of it, but so do they.

Most Gas safe registered fitters, will not sign off 'other's' work unless they really know you and trust your work.

You can't really do cash boiler installs anymore, they have to be registered back to Building control and GAS SAFE via Benchmark, and HMRC now check who is buying boilers from some merchants (Plumbase i believe) and then see if your notifying it properly.
From a client's end selling your house without that particular cert..painful..

Polish Installers (related to above) for cash - known as a TLG (Tail Light Guarantee)

Oh, and Wickes boilers.. Good for Bin Space i hear :)

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
My company charge from 1700+vat for a combo swap including a power flush and with a 7 year warranty, of course parts have a Mark up price, we add 20 percent to the cost price although we get upto 40 percent off so not a bad deal to the Customer. I think that the price is fair seeing as the amount of work that goes into it..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here