Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can you not get any plumber to install it and then have it checked by a corgi registered man or perhaps that would be as dear as having the man do it in the first place. What about a man who works for a company doing it as a private at the weekend?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
The £700 quote for labour WAS a private saturday job!!!!! Think I might train to be a plumber, feel I'm missing out!!!!!

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
seven stands; It all adds up £1 said:
Won't argue with any of your costs as you are obviously in the know, however I struggle to believe swapping a boiler could take 3 days??? And if you quote for 3 days labour and it only takes 1 day do you give your customers any money back???

Won't argue with any of your costs as you are obviously in the know, however I struggle to believe swapping a boiler could take 3 days??? And if you quote for 3 days labour and it only takes 1 day do you give your customers any money back???

Mate of mine swapped a boiler plus all the flu and the pipes in 1 day. Charged me £200. He is a good mate though.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Its possible to fit a boiler in a day but that is without spending a day cleaning the system out using a flushing machine ( should be done or the sludge and rust gets into the new boiler) and half a day commissioning the new system ( gas rates, temperature, flue analysis and paper work)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
right i must be bored

Biasi ActivA 200V 20kW Open Vent Boiler Screwfix.com £639

Biasi Standard Horizontal Flue Kit Screwfix.com £40

Grundfos UPS15 - 50 5 metre Circulating Pump Screwfix.com £80

Honeywell Y Plan 7 Day Heating Control Pack Screwfix.com £150

White 15mm Angled TRV Screwfix.com x6 £60

Fernox TF1 Total Filter 22mm Screwfix.com £99

Copper Tube 15mm x 3m Screwfix.com x2 (min) £20

Copper Tube 22mm x 3m Screwfix.com x2 (min) £30

La-Co Flux 475g Screwfix.com £10

Fernox Solder Wire Lead-Free Screwfix.com £25

Yorkshire Endex Straight Coupling NS1 15mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £3

Yorkshire Endex Straight Coupling NS1 22mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £6

Yorkshire Endex Equal Tee NS24 22mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £30

Yorkshire Endex Equal Tee N24 15mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £6

Yorkshire Endex Elbow NS12 15mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £4

Yorkshire Endex Elbow NS12 22mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £10

Yorkshire Endex Fitting Reducer N6 22 x 15mm Pack of 10 Screwfix.com £11

Oakey Steel Wool Medium 200g Screwfix.com £4

GoGas Butane/Propane Mixed Gas Cartridge 350g Screwfix.com £5

Hinge Clip 22mm Pack of 100 Screwfix.com £9

Sentinel X300 System Cleaner 1Ltr Screwfix.com £17

Sentinel X100 Central Heating Scale Inhibitor 1Ltr Screwfix.com £17

Screwfix total £1275 assuming boiler is in roughly the same place and the gas pipe is the correct size

plus min of 2 - 3 days labour ( at unc c price ) £6,300

so before my above 12 normall standard self employed rubbish we are already looking at £7,575.

I would take your original quote

Completely understand all the above costs, reminds me of when I used to buy condoms in packs of 10 & used them all up on the same night

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
5 years college
Gas safe course
Yearly gas safe subscription
Van insurance
Van tax
Van petrol
Van wear and tear
Public liability insurance
Tools
Boiler training courses
Plus boiler, flue, controls, pipe work, system filter, system cleaner, radiator valves
Time for doing paper work
The tax man
National insurance
food
Rent / morgate
The wife
Ect

It all adds up £1,700 is about as cheap as you will get

I'm a self employed carpenter and have most of those overheads,If i charged those sort of prices i would get laughed out the door.Plumbers all seem to be the same.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
And if you quote for 3 days labour and it only takes 1 day do you give your customers any money back???

jesterbg.gif
jesterbg.gif
jesterbg.gif
jesterbg.gif

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
£1700 for a boiler change is a good price,i charge between £1800/£2000 but that does include a very good boiler.Under no circumstances would i fit a boiler from wickes,it's cheap for a reason,it's rubbish.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
5 years college
Gas safe course
Yearly gas safe subscription
Van insurance
Van tax
Van petrol
Van wear and tear
Public liability insurance
Tools
Boiler training courses
Plus boiler, flue, controls, pipe work, system filter, system cleaner, radiator valves
Time for doing paper work
The tax man
National insurance
food
Rent / morgate
The wife
Ect

It all adds up £1,700 is about as cheap as you will get

How much would you expect to pay for a fully qualified sports physio, because it takes alot more time and work to become a qualified physiotherapist. Plus they have pretty much all of the above overheads and you wouldnt pay more than £50-£60 an hour for a session.

Not all, but theres some people who get away with murder in the prices they charge. I was quoted £900 from a plumber to come and replace my bathroom sink (a sink id already bought) I nearly chinned him when he said it. When i told him to do one he replied 'I might be able to sort something out if you pay cash' PRICK!!!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
£1700 for a boiler change is a good price,i charge between £1800/£2000 but that does include a very good boiler.Under no circumstances would i fit a boiler from wickes,it's cheap for a reason,it's rubbish.

So do you charge the customer the trade price of the boiler you supply or the full retail price?

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
While were on the topic of plumbing, does anyone know much about electric heaters. Just our flat only has electricity and we have electric heaters in all the bedrooms. One of them doesnt work properly and im thinking of replacing the whole lot as ive been told you can get some very economical ones these days!!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
While were on the topic of plumbing, does anyone know much about electric heaters. Just our flat only has electricity and we have electric heaters in all the bedrooms. One of them doesnt work properly and im thinking of replacing the whole lot as ive been told you can get some very economical ones these days!!

Why dont you start another thread rather than diverting this one? Electric heaters have nothing to do with plumbing.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
To everyone quoting me I am just trying to show that when you get a quote ( from any trade ) the price you get quoted will not equal the amount of profit said tradesman will get and in the case of fitting a boiler most of the quote will be materials. As for £900 to fit a basin he cant be very busy in this climate

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I would agree with that, having paid around £2300 four years ago for a new boiler, to replace an antique version. Although a fair bit higher than your quote, that price included relocating from the kitchen to an upstairs bedroom (in the space the hot water tank had previously been), replacing some pipe-work and drilling holes through a wall for flues, etc.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Why dont you start another thread rather than diverting this one? Electric heaters have nothing to do with plumbing.

Didnt think the subject of plumbing had much more legs tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here