Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Seeing as all posts must be strictly on topic ;)

How much does the average plumber earn per year? Fully qualified self employed?

You see im an accountant and the accounts i see from the majority of plumbers arent as rosy as £2400 jobs every week!!! I suspect as well the need for a balaclava and stripy jumper when quoting they also need a spade to dig a big enough hole in the back garden to hide their money!!!

killer miller

Apr 25, 2011
Bexhill-on-sea
£1700 for a boiler change is a good price,i charge between £1800/£2000 but that does include a very good boiler.Under no circumstances would i fit a boiler from wickes,it's cheap for a reason,it's rubbish.

I study Plumbing at collage at the moment and that seems a decent price with how much all the fittings cost and sutff.

Sorry for quoting you was just wondering were you situated?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

You see im an accountant and the accounts i see from the majority of plumbers arent as rosy as £2400 jobs every week!!! I suspect as well the need for a balaclava and stripy jumper when quoting they also need a spade to dig a big enough hole in the back garden to hide their money!!!

well my mate wont get out of bed for less than 600 notes a day

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
See all the experts are avoiding answering this.

I'm guessing that they add a handling charge...no way that anyone would charge the cost price, unless it was best-mates rates!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

If he was about I'd ask my neighbour plumber/builder who is on his 3rd week in the Canaries currently, this restful trip comes after a week back home to get a change of shorts after a fortnight in Florida in early October.....you get the picture

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I'm guessing that they add a handling charge...no way that anyone would charge the cost price, unless it was best-mates rates!

So we're talking an additional several hundred quid in his back pocket, not to mention VAT recovery.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have a full set of RODS which I often use.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
It's the old horses for courses, if you want to buy an iPhone it's £600 or whatever, if you want a new boiler it's £1500 or whatever. It breaks my heart paying for some things but it is what it is. Back to the op, what about going the green energy route that's only £10000?

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
We would typically charge the nett cost of the materials plus a 15-20% mark-up depending on who the client is.

Labour would be around £30 per hour.

The nett cost to employ one of our plumbers would be in the region of £18 per hour, this includes his wages, NI, holiday pay etc. We then need to cover overheads for our administration/support team, insurances, fuel, utilities, van etc.

So £30 doesn't leave much for any profit

One man band plumbers can charge a low as £15 per hour as they are only working for wages (although they still have insurance, fuel, vehicle costs) rising upwards.

On the Island we have 5% VAT on domestic repair works which has eliminated cash in hand work. Tradesman buys a boiler for £1,000 he has to recoup the 20% VAT if does job cash in hand, whereas if charged properly he only charges 5% VAT and claims the balance back.

The quoted price does appear roughly right, not sure if includes VAT or not though.

Remember 20% of all your work if billed correctly goes straight to the Government.

Last edited:

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for all the reply's guys! Will give my parents the good news!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here