Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs: Poyet; 'We can do it'

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I can just see it now. First game of the season. Half time in the WSU concourse. We're 2 nil up against Chelsea. Lights, camera, ACTION:

Dave: What'dya reckon then Bob? Isn't this AMAZING? We're properly living the dream!

Bob: Yeah, not bad mate I dunno....something's still bothering me though, can't put my finger on what...actually...it's the training centre. I dunno, it's just...it's unfinished. I just can't enjoy this game knowing that over in Lancing we've got a project...secured, yes, but not finished. Sorry mate, leave me out of this one.

*Bob hands Dave his pint and walks back down the steps and out of the Amex, shaking his head sadly.*

Brilliant.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It strikes me as a complete false argument that teams can get promoted too early, unless there's some artificial restriction on them (such as a very low ground capacity). If we were still at Withdean of course it would be too early, but everything abotu how the club is setup is GEARED to get into and stay in the PL.

There is no way any club is good enough to choose when they are promoted; as has been said already, you never know how things will work out in the future. The £40m paid for just turning up in the PL would be more than enough to bring in 8 players to replace our weakest positions, and with a couple of decent season long loans, such as Razak and Assulin we could be capable of staying up at least.

As I said, it strikes me as an easy mantra to trot out, "we're not ready" but I don't think it's true.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
but Gus has said at at least twice before that 'we're not ready yet/just to come back down again/be whipping boys'

He's saying that as a hedge - if we either miss promotion or come back down he can say "I told you so" and his reputation remains intact ... plus it takes the pressure off players and the media spotlight right now, of course he's goingto say that.

We've got the likes of Jara, Mattock, Razak, Vokes and the Assasin in now for what? That isn't long term building that's having a pop at promo.

If he genuinely wanted to stay in Champ and now that we are safe he'd be blooding the likes of Toby, JFK, Barker and other youngsters right now as part of his long term building plan

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's saying that as a hedge - if we either miss promotion or come back down he can say "I told you so" and his reputation remains intact ... plus it takes the pressure off players and the media spotlight right now, of course he's goingto say that.

We've got the likes of Jara, Mattock, Razak, Vokes and the Assasin in now for what? That isn't long term building that's having a pop at promo.

If he genuinely wanted to stay in Champ and now that we are safe he'd be blooding the likes of Toby, JFK, Barker and other youngsters right now as part of his long term building plan

I disagree entirely. How is playing a load of kids, over players with age+experience at the high level, good for the team? It isn't.

In all likelyhood, Jara, Mattock, Vokes will be players next season anyway

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I can just see it now. First game of the season. Half time in the WSU concourse. We're 2 nil up against Chelsea. Lights, camera, ACTION:

Dave: What'dya reckon then Bob? Isn't this AMAZING? We're properly living the dream!

Bob: Yeah, not bad mate I dunno....something's still bothering me though, can't put my finger on what...actually...it's the training centre. I dunno, it's just...it's unfinished. I just can't enjoy this game knowing that over in Lancing we've got a project...secured, yes, but not finished. Sorry mate, leave me out of this one.

*Bob hands Dave his pint and walks back down the steps and out of the Amex, shaking his head sadly.*

what are you going on abouts? :S

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If we go up, we go up. Ideally, we could say, let's have a fantastic season next year, finish in the top 2 and go from there. However, this is in an ideal world which we do not all live in. We could end up in playoffs for the next 10 years and the players bottle it every time! If we get promoted, we should take it and hope that Uncle Tony let's us, or rather lets Gus, have the majority of the £40m for team strengthening. We would then have a chance of staying up.

With regard the few that have mentioned getting to the play-off final and losing and they won't mind, are they sure? I think I would be devastated for weeks, if not months, well at least until our next game!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I disagree entirely. How is playing a load of kids,

In all likelyhood, Jara, Mattock, Vokes will be players next season anyway

He was before this current run put us in the position we are ... I doubt we'll get to see much of any of the development guys again until we're out of the running.

I don't disagree about Jara and Mattock if we stay in the Champ ... not 100% sure though if we did get promoted

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
We may never get a chance like we have now for a long time so let's take it and see what happens . Good chance of 2nd spot with the form wer on play offs almost certain

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why assume we would pay millions on new players? It is presumably important for the club to stay financially viable, so if we start trying to compete directly with the Chelseas, ManUs and Liverpools, we'd be in big trouble. There are enough clubs in the prem that we can beat - and with luck finish ahead of - and thereby survive. And even if we do become a yoyo club for a few years, with sound management like we've got, that is likely to strengthen us (as it has Blackpool, for instance, and Hull aren't doing too badly on it either).

Anyway, we are Brighton - mid table mediocrity ain't for us!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Of course we should go up if we can do it regardless of the consequences next season. Blackpool have just posted a TWENTY MILLION POUNDS PROFITfor the season, excluding the sale of Charlie Adam! They are also now entitled to £48m parachute payments with £16m coming this season.

They didnt spend wildly, still had a competitive season, and are now rolling in it. That type of model would PAY OFF FALMER in 4 years, you would be mental to say you wouldnt want it and I'm sure TB would laugh in your face for suggesting so.

Blackpool have made record profits since being relegated - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Last edited:

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Your post hinted that you possibly wouldn't enjoy a season in the Prem quite as much if we didn't have the new training facility in place.

No....i said about the stadium being fully built mainly, the training ground was just additional

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I agree with those that don't buy into the "we're not ready" only way to get our boys experience is to get them up there. We took a whopping at Anfield, but 3 from own goals. First half, I thought we played pretty well. If we ignore the own goals, it would have been a 3-1 lose. Nothing too serious, no more of a whooping that we have taken this season. But we must also take into consideration the morale of the boys in the squad. They all want to be there, and if put there, they will most likely step it up a level.

But also an increase in stadium capacity will increase our budget, and don't we get a few million for going up too? But also we'll probably get a lot more live games where we'll make a few quid too. A bit of money to invest in players we may potentially need, then have the rest sitting in reserves for a rainier day.

I'm personally optimistic. I think we could possibly stay up for a season IF we avoid injuries. Defeats are expected, but I don't think they'll all be big whoopings.

Downlander

Apr 14, 2011
As the Brighton conurbation is the 10th largest and 2nd most densly popuated in England - the raising of the 'pheonix' (Amex) stadium ensures nothing will ever be the same again!!

For the first time in it's history, BHAFC can truly punch it's weight.

With all the other stuctures that are being put in place, a taste of Premier league football is inevitable! It's just a question of when and for how long?

As for Gus - I think he's fitted a car and been racing round the Amex steelwork he's been so up and down recently. '"We never change the way we play" - "We react to the style of the opposition" - "I love having control of everything at Brighton" - " Like players, managers want to manage in the highest league" - and that's just in the last couple of weeks. Good luck to him and his personality !! He's absolutely integral to the amazing 'feel good' emotions we're experiencing.

Oh!... and where will we end up this season ... nobody knows .... but hang on tight Seagull supporters! There's a new 'white knuckle' ride in town.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No....i said about the stadium being fully built mainly, the training ground was just additional

I was only mucking about mate don't worry about it. My point was that I think "in the moment" none of us would enjoy a season in the Prem any less due to things the club still needed to get in place, when it really came down to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here