Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players Brighton turned down in past and present, put here who you remember.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I know some for certain, Roy Keane was one, as i saw in a interview with him a while ago, they asked him have you been turned down by any clubs and he said only one Brighton and he said after that, he hada trial at Notts Forest and rest is history.
Martin Keown.
Who else i cant think of any others now i have put this up, oh yes Kanchelskis hehe but we wanted him so i guess that doesnt count. Be intrested to see others who people know, also who come in then we didnt want, or turned us down etc
But whaever Keane was a big mistake wasnt it, actually didnt Ian Wright come for a trial here ?
imagine if would have kept these players had eg Beasant, Zamora, Knight, Martin Keown, Roy Keane, Gareth Barry, Michael Standing, etc
please add others

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Didn't we try and sign Keown but could not afford him?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I vaguely remember hearing that we chose Paul McCarthy instead of Roy Keane and Steve Penney impressed more than Ian Wright when they were both here on trial.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Chris Cattlin once said he had talks with Ray Houghton and they had agreed a deal but the club wouldn't stump up the money (we're talking a few thousand for a player who went on to become one of the best midfielders in the country).

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
trueblue said:
Chris Cattlin once said he had talks with Ray Houghton and they had agreed a deal but the club wouldn't stump up the money (we're talking a few thousand for a player who went on to become one of the best midfielders in the country).

Yeah, I remember that. I think he said to the board 'if you give me £30k for this player, I guarantee you promotion' but they refused

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd heard about Keane and Wright but didn't know about Houghton - what a team we could have had.

Slightly tangential, but I remember Sussex turning down Barry Richards.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Ade Akinbiyi (before his £5m transfer days). Jimmy case could not afford 50 grand.

Know about Ian Wright and remember the Houghton affair.

Martin Keown was sent back to Arsenal by Chris Cattlin in 1985 before he had made his first team debut there. He played for us for 2 months (including up front).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bald Gull said:
Yeah, I remember that. I think he said to the board 'if you give me £30k for this player, I guarantee you promotion' but they refused

nothing much has changed then :lolol:

I'm sure it happens a lot to many clubs but we've had some right disasters in the past . . . . .Letting John Byrne go was another one, oh, giving Dean Saunders to Oxford as well . . . . both went on to be huge and cost their respective clubs pennies, classic albion business

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Seem to remember reading somewhre that Kevin Keegan was in advanced talks when he returned from Hamburg, but couldn't afford his wage demands at the time...

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Didn't Mark Walton turn down a new contract and join Cardiff? That left us with a rookie called Kuipers - oh how we struggled

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
trueblue said:
at the same time as houghton cattlin tried to sign peter beagrie and not long after both were doing quite well in the top division

it wasn't that we signed mccarthy instead of keane mccarthy's old man or someone very close organised a trial for keane cos they played for the same junior team and were good mates but who ever was in charge didnt think keane was good enough

im not old enough to remember this one but we were in for a young john aldridge either before he joined newport or when he left there for oxford and when les ferdinand was a youngster not getting a look in at qpr he was linked with us but nothing happened and just after he broke in to there 1st team and the rest is history

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
saltash seagull said:
at the same time as houghton cattlin tried to sign peter beagrie and not long after both were doing quite well in the top division

I remember that. He would have been a great player for us. He was only about 18 at the time.

Johners

Jul 6, 2003
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
Ian Muir scored goals galore for the reserves without getting a look in in the first team. When Frank Worthington left here and went to manage Tranmere, his first signing was Ian Muir, who went on to become Tranmere's record goalscorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here