Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players Brighton turned down in past and present, put here who you remember.

Percy Rojas and Juan Oblitas........................

played in the 78 World Cup for Peru

not good enought for BHA:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

ahhhh they could have been our own Ardiles and Villa

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I remember Ian Muir being frozen out and then going on to score for fun in divs 3 & 4 for Tranmere. And Peter Beagrie was set to sign from Bradford I think. Didn't he turn us down in favour of Sheff Utd in the end?

Cattlin could certainly spot a decent player. Keown, Saunders, Connor, Worthington, Eric Young, Danny Wilson.

Oooh that reminds me. Remember when we played THREE Youngs in the same team?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Simster said:

Cattlin could certainly spot a decent player. Keown, Saunders, Connor, Worthington, Eric Young, Danny Wilson.

he made his mistakes as well it was cattlin who did fancy ian wright

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Brighton turned down me in 1985 - wankers.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Chris Waddle turned us down - he had the chance to come here on loan in 1984 and changed his mind at the last minute.

Not made up, he says so himself in his autobiog...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Roy Keane never actually had a trial. It was set up through Paul McCarthy but someone told the club Roy was too small to ever make it as a pro. The club contacted Keane the day before he was due to travel over here to tell him the trial had been cancelled.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nigel Clough refused to come here, on loan, even though Brian Clough had agreed to it.

kevinbha

Aug 25, 2003
Worthing
biggest one they missed was me in 1973, after a trial when Crawford was youth coach, i had 20 mins at right back, not bad as I wasa forward, then taken off for a young Glen Geard. I then went on to big and better things in the west sussex league......................oh what a error by the Albion as I got away

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
Roy Keane never actually had a trial. It was set up through Paul McCarthy but someone told the club Roy was too small to ever make it as a pro. The club contacted Keane the day before he was due to travel over here to tell him the trial had been cancelled.
that sounds about right i thought it was after the trial that they told him that but havent read the book for a while

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
yeah i remember Paul Dickov as he was crap for us, and i didnt wanna sign him, remember people getting on his back, also believe he is a wrong player now for blackburn.
Do you guys remember Parry who was or perry cant remember which he played for Arsenal after played for us, we had him on loan and also permanent didnt we.
he then played for Arsenal a few months after leaving us for them in europe, also do you guys remember a Russian player called Sergei Gotsmonov, he left us after about 11 games to goto Southampton and played for russia when played for brighton, also played in world cup, and in program saying about brighton, i thought he was a good player, a winger.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
garethjamesuk said:
yeah i remember Paul Dickov as he was crap for us, and i didnt wanna sign him, remember people getting on his back, also believe he is a wrong player now for blackburn.
Do you guys remember Parry who was or perry cant remember which he played for Arsenal after played for us, we had him on loan and also permanent didnt we.
he then played for Arsenal a few months after leaving us for them in europe, also do you guys remember a Russian player called Sergei Gotsmonov, he left us after about 11 games to goto Southampton and played for russia when played for brighton, also played in world cup, and in program saying about brighton, i thought he was a good player, a winger.

:eek: Dickov scored 5 in 8 for us. Was only ever on loan. Gotsmanov went to Southampton for 150,000 which we could never match. We'd have trouble these days let alone in 1990.

saltash seagull said:
he made his mistakes as well it was cattlin who did fancy ian wright

no - Wright scored a hat-trick in a trial match at the goldstone in 84 I think and cattlin certainly rated him as one for the futyre. Only trouble was that he also wanted to sign Steve Penney and the club couldn't afford both.

At the time Penney was the better prospect, so much so that 2 years after signing for us he was playing in the World Cup Finals in Mexico, so hardly a bad choice by catlin iIMHO.

Last edited:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
garethjamesuk said:

How can you say that?? Dickov was in IMHO our best ever loan signing (better than zamora) the bloke was class.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
i remember when we were going to get carl hutchings, and he got injured or something so we got zamora on loan instead...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I seem to remember that Martin Keown was called back to Arsenal so they could sell him to Aston Villa, though I may be wide of the mark there as it was quite a few years ago.

For me the jury is out on Dickov joining Blackburn, he may do well alongside Ferguson if and when he returns from injury, quite a combative pairing which could play havoc with your average Premiership defence.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
saafend_seagull said:
i remember when we were going to get carl hutchings, and he got injured or something so we got zamora on loan instead...
no wat happened was micky arranged a deal to take him on loan from brizzle city and the next day he signed for his old team brentford instead and along came a certain bobby zamora

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here