Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Leicester

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brezovan 8. Solid.
El Abd 6. Solid defensively, but we had no impact or threat on the left - every time he or Barnes got the ball, because they're both right-footed and not pacey, the play had to cut inside and the move died.
Greer 8. Solid.
Dunk 8. Solid.
Bridcutt 7. Not MoM. Doesn't get an 8, in terms of constructive criticism (and he is probably my favourite player), took too many touches on multiple occasions when the quick ball out wide was on.
Sparrow 7. Getting better each game. Had my doubts this season and last, but much improved, seems to be the one central midfield player determined to drive forward - a lower-league Lampard. Sending off was just a committed lunge, nothing sinister, just a sign of the times with referees.
Navarro 5.5. Solid defensively, but so frustrating, kills every forward movement we have. Not sure he's mentally quick enough for this division.
Barnes 6. Gave his all, but, along with El Abd behind him on the left side, because he's right footed, nearly every attack down the left was blunt and static, having to cut inside and thus losing momentum.
Buckley 8.5. Tireless work-rate, our main attacking threat. My only concern is that we don't burn him out or rely on him too much, and rely on one single flank too much. Great, cool finish.
CMS 6.5. Lots of effort gets him an above-average mark. However, he's not a target man, he's the kind of player who thrives running onto balls over the defender's shoulder, and, unfortunately for him, we don't play that way.
Mattock 7. Looked decent going forward, gave us a left-sided threat finally.
Vokes 6. Didn't do much, but didn't get much chance / time.
Vicente 8. Was quality when he came on, made the goal and was the driving force forwards in the centre of the park.

No calderon?

Brezovan 8. Solid
El Abd 6. Lost the ball every time he went forward, but good defensively
Greer 8. Solid
Dunk 8. Solid
Bridcutt 7. Okay - lacked ideas i thought
Sparrow 5. Very good before the sending off - but definite red
Navarro 6.5. Solid game, won the ball back well but not good going forward.
Barnes 8 MOM Worked his socks off and set CMS up with an open goal.
Buckley 7.5. Great finish but before that it wasn't his best game - still quality though.
CMS. 5. Little effort and lost the ball 2/3 times he got it - very poor today and if he had Buckley's chance he would have missed it.
Mattock 7. Looked very good
Vokes 7. Scored a great goal
Vicente 7.5 Was quality when he came on just lacked a bit of practice at the end i think.

No calderon?

PETER BREZOVAN 6 Did nothing wrong, but he dropped a poor ball hiked into the box.
INIGO CALDERON 6 Again, didn't do anything wrong but didn't really contribute much in attack.
ADAM EL-ABD 7 Got forward, clumsily, and defended solidly. Complete wind-up merchant, nearly got Drinkwater.
GORDON GREER 8 Dealt with Beckford and Nugent without problems and came forward with the ball.
LEWIS DUNK 7 Same as Greer defensively, but did less with the ball.
LIAM BRIDCUTT 7 I didn't think it was his best game, genius player but can be very slow...
ALAN NAVARRO 5 Don't see what he offers to the team. Makes us defensive, slows us down and we basically invite teams to attack us.
WILL BUCKLEY 8 Always an outlet, uses the ball well and looks like scoring in every game. What a player!
ASHLEY BARNES 6 Technically, not very good and doesn't really do much. Didn't head at goal when it was at his mercy.
CRAIG MACKAIL-SMITH 6 Gets no service at all. Very disappointing game, but not his fault.

Subs
SAM VOKES 7 Took his goal well, and put himself about brilliantly. Looks a good signing.
JOE MATTOCK 7 Looked quick, composed and naturally left footed.
VICENTE 8 Drifted about, but on the ball looked like creating something.

Better result than performance, but got the job done. :albion:

No sparrow?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was miles away from CMS.... Barnes should have headed at goal
You're wrong. Had CMS not pulled up his run short he literally couldn't have missed it. It was a great and unselfish ball. Not saying it's CMSs fault - just an unfortunate miscommunication.
Just judging from the tv footage, he should have gone for goal. Plenty to aim at and only the keeper to beat, it was a poor decision. No complaints though, all players make poor decisions sometimes.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Vokes looked good to me too !, only on for 30 mins , made great passon the right side, just failed to connect for a goal, had one disallowed, he got an 8 from us, to give him 5 is absurd....................................................................................................................................
Vokes looked good to me?:shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well then thats not "Nothing else" then is it?

Sorry and I have to justify myself to you because??

However since you asked, I felt he should have done better he was clear of Danns and was too easily caught and could have used the ball better by putting Vokes in much earlier. Of course the outcome was good in terms of the sending off and running down the clock.

At the end of the day it's a matter of opinion a 10-15 minute cameo appearance in my opinion does not warrant an 8 out of 10. This does not mean I do not rate Vincente or am not supportive off him....

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
You're wrong. Had CMS not pulled up his run short he literally couldn't have missed it. It was a great and unselfish ball. Not saying it's CMSs fault - just an unfortunate miscommunication.

Looked to me CMS had stopped as not to drift offside so couldn't have reacted.

My point really isn't about whether CMS should have reached it... More why didn't Barnes go for goal with only the keeper to beat ?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Poor game, but a good result. Our passing really was crap today.

Brezovan 8. One ot two good saves. Seemed to flap a bit at one cross. Looks very confident.
Calderon 7. Skinned a couple of times in the 1st half, but overall an improvement in form.
Greer 7. Too many wayward hoofs upfield.
Dunk 7. OK, but a few too many wayward balls upfield.
ElAbd 8. Good game again.
Buckley 8. He gets an extra point for the goal, but like Tuesday much of what he tried did not come off. A frustrating performance from him in my opinion. But as long he comes up with winning goals like that we'll accept a small dip in form.
Sparrow 8. MOM. Excellent game from him I thought and sending off looked only a yellow. We'll miss him.
Navarro 7. Good game except too much wayward passing.
Bridcutt 6. Poor game by his standards. Far too many loose balls. No-way MOM.
Barnes 7. Loses a point for a couple of terrible first half moments when he lost control with the goal at his mercy. Otherwise OK.
CMS 6. I'm beginning to lose faith in him. Again lots of running around, but to what purpose? And lost every arial challenge for balls from Brez.
Subs:
Mattock 8. Looked good.
Vokes 5. Really didn't see him touch the ball more than a couple of times in 20 mins. I'm sure he's got potential, but it wasn't obvious today.
Vicente 6. Made the goal, but otherwise looked like a luxury player. Hope I'm wrong.

pretty much agree with that but 10 for Brez obviously,our regular forwards are letting the team down at the moment with the exception of Buckley.As others have said the team plays better when CMS goes off, and i also thought Bridcutt had a poor game not knocking him he`s f***ing brilliant most games but not mom yesterday.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Sorry and I have to justify myself to you because??

However since you asked, I felt he should have done better he was clear of Danns and was too easily caught and could have used the ball better by putting Vokes in much earlier. Of course the outcome was good in terms of the sending off and running down the clock.

At the end of the day it's a matter of opinion a 10-15 minute cameo appearance in my opinion does not warrant an 8 out of 10. This does not mean I do not rate Vincente or am not supportive off him....

No need to justify at all mate. I was just ponting out that you said he did nothing other than put in the cross for the goal and then proceeded to talk about numerous (well 2 or 3) other things he did really well.

I think the point about Danns catching him is interesting. As he was running diagonally I wasn't surprised Danns caught him as his run was straight and Danns is pretty quick himself. Maybe he could have released it earlier but was there a ball on? Or, was he even waiting for Danns to take him out knowing it would be a booking/sending off & would waste some time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No need to justify at all mate. I was just ponting out that you said he did nothing other than put in the cross for the goal and then proceeded to talk about numerous (well 2 or 3) other things he did really well.

I think the point about Danns catching him is interesting. As he was running diagonally I wasn't surprised Danns caught him as his run was straight and Danns is pretty quick himself. Maybe he could have released it earlier but was there a ball on? Or, was he even waiting for Danns to take him out knowing it would be a booking/sending off & would waste some time.

He may have been thinking he could get into the box before Danns caught him and that would have been the icing on the cakle.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not sure I have checking my previous posts, just commented on the undoubted abundance of skill he has and that he is always likely to get more space when the opponents are tiring. Generalisations rather than aimed specifically to yesterday.

I think you make a good point, but I do feel that if he was fitter he may not have got caught. Of course arguably as you suggest, he's cut across Danns with the purpose of getting clipped, its just that I'd prefer to try and put the game out of sight. Lets hope he continues to play, gets stronger, helps us beat Liverpool and make the play-offs. You never know. :)

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Not sure I have checking my previous posts, just commented on the undoubted abundance of skill he has and that he is always likely to get more space when the opponents are tiring. Generalisations rather than aimed specifically to yesterday.

I think you make a good point, but I do feel that if he was fitter he may not have got caught. Of course arguably as you suggest, he's cut across Danns with the purpose of getting clipped, its just that I'd prefer to try and put the game out of sight. Lets hope he continues to play, gets stronger, helps us beat Liverpool and make the play-offs. You never know. :)

I think if we are to have any chance against Liverpool Vicente HAS to play.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can't be bothered to mark everyone, suffice to say Bridcutt was doing my head in - dithering on the ball, losing momentum in many promising moves, being too slow... Christ alone knows how he got MoM.

Even Gus was doing his pieces at him...

Totally agree. Great player but yesterday his distribution and dithering on the ball.........

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think if we are to have any chance against Liverpool Vicente HAS to play.

May have a chance, Sparrow will be missing follwoing the straight red I believe. I guess Noone will be chomping at the bit if fit. Depends whether we go for it or try and contain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My only slight criticism of Bridcutt is that he doesnt play enough forward passes perhaps if Vicente comes in for Sparrow during his suspension Liam will win the ball and give it to him to pass on.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
PETER BREZOVAN 6 Did nothing wrong, but he dropped a poor ball hiked into the box.
INIGO CALDERON 6 Again, didn't do anything wrong but didn't really contribute much in attack.
ADAM EL-ABD 7 Got forward, clumsily, and defended solidly. Complete wind-up merchant, nearly got Drinkwater.
GORDON GREER 8 Dealt with Beckford and Nugent without problems and came forward with the ball.
LEWIS DUNK 7 Same as Greer defensively, but did less with the ball.
LIAM BRIDCUTT 7 I didn't think it was his best game, genius player but can be very slow...
ALAN NAVARRO 5 Don't see what he offers to the team. Makes us defensive, slows us down and we basically invite teams to attack us.
MATTHEW SPARROW 7 Did a lot of work, ran around a lot and put himself about. Love his long range shots!
WILL BUCKLEY 8 Always an outlet, uses the ball well and looks like scoring in every game. What a player!
ASHLEY BARNES 6 Technically, not very good and doesn't really do much. Didn't head at goal when it was at his mercy.
CRAIG MACKAIL-SMITH 6 Gets no service at all. Very disappointing game, but not his fault.

Subs
SAM VOKES 7 Took his goal well, and put himself about brilliantly. Looks a good signing.
JOE MATTOCK 7 Looked quick, composed and naturally left footed.
VICENTE 8 Drifted about, but on the ball looked like creating something.

Better result than performance, but got the job done. :albion:

Calderon "didn't really contribute much in attack"

He put Vicente thru to set up goal
Also put over cross for Greer's header

2 significant contributions

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
a average game with a great last 10 minutes and injury time

Brez 7 Looked nice and solid
Calderon 7 good going forward but his lack of pace is a worry
el abd 7 sterling job on his wrong foot
dunk 8 outstanding
greer 8 outstanding
navs 6 played ok another lacking a bit of pace
sparrow 7 naughty tackle but played very well
barnes 7 worked his balls off and showed some nice touches
bridcott 9 mom great little player
buckley 7.5 good finish for the goal steady game
cms 5 looked a very average player his worst game for us

Subs
Vokes 6 looked ok
Vicente 7 great cross for the goal
Mattock 7 looks good

ref had a good 1st half and thought he got the sparrow red correct and the danns red corrct beckford have no idea

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought everyone played ok today without anyone being truly special apart from maybe Brezovan

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average ratings v Leicester (24 votes)

Buckley 7.54
Vicente 7.54

Brezovan 7.35
Dunk 7.31
Greer 7.29
Mattock 7.17 (23 votes)
Barnes 6.98