Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Leicester

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Defence very good - El Adb great Centre half but lacks fluency going forward to be a full back.

Matlock looks excellent

Midfield - sparrow has really grown into a good championship midfielder of late, shame he's now banned.

Navarro consistently poor!

Bridcutt - another Deuchamps class act, typical holding midfielder always looking to distribute instead of shoot!

Buckley and Vicente - premiership class

CMS - poor again ( any other team member would have been dropped to bench by now)

Barnes - developed into good solid player. Not sure where he fits into our formation though!

Vokes - early days

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I haven't gone through the fouls and such in the other games today. The top table includes our match v leicester, the bottom one contains no games from today. The red numbers are the worst in each column (you'll see leicester were level with us for red cards, they are now worse than us).

(click to enlarge images)

View attachment 30045

This shows the pattern for fouls to yellow cards per game. That one lonely dot away from the cluster around trendlines, is us.

View attachment 30046

Wow, I didn't expect such comprehensive stats, great stuff

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Yes, great cross for the goal but nothing else and also sloppy in a dangerous area.

Can you not see that Vicente is on a different level?

The man hasn't played for months and yet he looks amazing!

First touch like I've not seen ever by an other Albion player. He dribbles with the ball stuck at his feet and passes quickly.

If he stays fit, then the problem will be our other players raising to his standard

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can you not see that Vicente is on a different level?

The man hasn't played for months and yet he looks amazing!

First touch like I've not seen ever by an other Albion player. He dribbles with the ball stuck at his feet and passes quickly.

If he stays fit, then the problem will be our other players raising to his standard

Yes I agree, but the ratings are based on one performance not pure ability, which I agree he has in abundance. Of course he will get more space with other players tiring, but you still have to use it which he did for the goal.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Brezovan 7.5 - It didn't look like their shots really troubled him.
El Abd 6 - not particularly strong going forward, forcing us to only attack down the right. Otherwise solid
Dunk 7 - First time I've noticed the away fans chanting at him, didn't appear to affect him. Showed composure with the beckford incident.
Greer 7 - some wayward passing. Some games he plays some great balls, some times he over(or under)does it. Otherwise strong defensively
Calderon 7.5 - was beaten for pace a few times in the first half, but was a bit more disciplined to stay back, and got forward when it was right.
Navarro 6 - a bit slow in possession, reluctant to shoot.
Bridcutt 7 - generally decent performance, bad foul.
Sparrow 6.5 - Generally a good performance, no he is having a run in the side, but it has been made very clear in the last few weeks you cannot jump in two-footed. Given the FA's position, and the advice to and from the FA and officials, it was a red.
Buckley 8 - got forward plenty, great last minute goal, but not his best (still good though)
Barnes 7.5 - some god defensive playing the first half, had some of our better chances. Decent enough performance, if not as good as his palace performance was reported to have been
CMS 6.5 - still lacking confidence, but not getting the chances. His value was shown, imo, when after he went off, no one closed down schmeichel allowing him to pick a pass for their best chance in the second half

Mattock 7 - decent enough defensively against 10 men, but gave us an attacking option down the left, which we had been missing.
Vokes 7 - Did well, held the ball u, could have had a penalty, got a good flick on that someone should have been on the en of
Vicente - 7.5 showed his class, gave his all (he was clearly knackered at the end after having run back and forth on that right wing three or four times in quick succession around the time of the goal), good vision and great ball for buckley. Seemed a little hesitant at times.

Just out of interest,why are you so impressed with Navarro?

*EDIT*,sorry that was meant for terryberry1

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Brezovan 8. Solid.
El Abd 6. Solid defensively, but we had no impact or threat on the left - every time he or Barnes got the ball, because they're both right-footed and not pacey, the play had to cut inside and the move died.
Greer 8. Solid.
Dunk 8. Solid.
Bridcutt 7. Not MoM. Doesn't get an 8, in terms of constructive criticism (and he is probably my favourite player), took too many touches on multiple occasions when the quick ball out wide was on.
Sparrow 7. Getting better each game. Had my doubts this season and last, but much improved, seems to be the one central midfield player determined to drive forward - a lower-league Lampard. Sending off was just a committed lunge, nothing sinister, just a sign of the times with referees.
Navarro 5.5. Solid defensively, but so frustrating, kills every forward movement we have. Not sure he's mentally quick enough for this division.
Barnes 6. Gave his all, but, along with El Abd behind him on the left side, because he's right footed, nearly every attack down the left was blunt and static, having to cut inside and thus losing momentum.
Buckley 8.5. Tireless work-rate, our main attacking threat. My only concern is that we don't burn him out or rely on him too much, and rely on one single flank too much. Great, cool finish.
CMS 6.5. Lots of effort gets him an above-average mark. However, he's not a target man, he's the kind of player who thrives running onto balls over the defender's shoulder, and, unfortunately for him, we don't play that way.
Mattock 7. Looked decent going forward, gave us a left-sided threat finally.
Vokes 6. Didn't do much, but didn't get much chance / time.
Vicente 8. Was quality when he came on, made the goal and was the driving force forwards in the centre of the park.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Crowd: flat as a pancake first half - what was going on? Post CPFC blues?

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Spot on..... CMS never stood a chance of reaching that.

Barnes had a good game but he should have buried that header as was unmarked and had bags of space

You're wrong. Had CMS not pulled up his run short he literally couldn't have missed it. It was a great and unselfish ball. Not saying it's CMSs fault - just an unfortunate miscommunication.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You're wrong. Had CMS not pulled up his run short he literally couldn't have missed it. It was a great and unselfish ball. Not saying it's CMSs fault - just an unfortunate miscommunication.

Agree. CMS stopped his run but I think his insticts are a little out at the moment

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Blimey, I must've been watching a different match

Dunk=MOM

One where Bridcutt didn't make a decisive interception or tackle every time Leicester strung a move together? :)

It's funny how everyone see's these things differently but I honestly think he's the best ball-winner I've ever seen play for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spot on..... CMS never stood a chance of reaching that.

Barnes had a good game but he should have buried that header as was unmarked and had bags of space

I would agree he should have gone for goal as it was wide open but tried to be too sure, one of our problems, and headed it across goal. I am a little bewildered about Vokes/CMS iVokes another option or brought in to help CMS mind you we cannot drop Barnes at the moment as he is playing well.

Stumpy Tim

Navarro consistently poor!

Really? I thought he played well yesterday. Okay going forward, though that's not his game. But he really makes a difference when we don't have the ball as he's a natural holding player - we instantly move to a 4-2-3-1 without the ball, and a more fluid 4-1-4-1 with it. I think he's bang on form at the moment and deserves his spot.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Brezovan - 7 looks cool good keeper
El-Abd - 6 out of position but always gives 100%
Greer -7 did nothing wrong up against very good forwards
Dunk - 8 MOM for me he really looked the part
Calderon - 7 good game
Sparrow - 6 good game one point deducted for sending off
Bridcutt - 8 as always great little player
Navarro - 7 looking much better in midfield with Navarro and Sparrow both hitting form
Buckley - 7 knows where the goal is
Barnes - 8 breaks play up well when the opposition look like they are getting on top total team player
CMS - 6 working very hard for very little reward

Vicente - 8 the best player on the pitch but looked tired after 20 mins needs game time lets hope he stays fit
Mattock - 7 looked good in short time he was on
Vokes - 7 looked good in short time he was on

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't be bothered to mark everyone, suffice to say Bridcutt was doing my head in - dithering on the ball, losing momentum in many promising moves, being too slow... Christ alone knows how he got MoM.

Even Gus was doing his pieces at him...

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Bridcutt undoubtedly one of our best players but consistently slowed play up against the 10 men when he should have been moving it much more quickly to make use of the extra space. Noticed Buckley complaining to him. Didnt think Sparrow's tackle was a sending off at the time and still dont with the benefit of the highlights. The ref was on the wrong side of him to make a fair judgement and was just evening things up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
PETER BREZOVAN 6 Did nothing wrong, but he dropped a poor ball hiked into the box.
INIGO CALDERON 6 Again, didn't do anything wrong but didn't really contribute much in attack.
ADAM EL-ABD 7 Got forward, clumsily, and defended solidly. Complete wind-up merchant, nearly got Drinkwater.
GORDON GREER 8 Dealt with Beckford and Nugent without problems and came forward with the ball.
LEWIS DUNK 7 Same as Greer defensively, but did less with the ball.
LIAM BRIDCUTT 7 I didn't think it was his best game, genius player but can be very slow...
ALAN NAVARRO 5 Don't see what he offers to the team. Makes us defensive, slows us down and we basically invite teams to attack us.
MATTHEW SPARROW 7 Did a lot of work, ran around a lot and put himself about. Love his long range shots!
WILL BUCKLEY 8 Always an outlet, uses the ball well and looks like scoring in every game. What a player!
ASHLEY BARNES 6 Technically, not very good and doesn't really do much. Didn't head at goal when it was at his mercy.
CRAIG MACKAIL-SMITH 6 Gets no service at all. Very disappointing game, but not his fault.

Subs
SAM VOKES 7 Took his goal well, and put himself about brilliantly. Looks a good signing.
JOE MATTOCK 7 Looked quick, composed and naturally left footed.
VICENTE 8 Drifted about, but on the ball looked like creating something.

Better result than performance, but got the job done. :albion:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here