Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Bristol City (H)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I don't think Barnes had that bad a game today. It's all very well slating him but he was played out of position yet again. I don't see why Hoskins, a left footed player who often played wide on the left last season did not swap with Barnes, a right footed centre forward playing on the left. That said, Barnes hardly set the world alight last week when he played in the middle...

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Brez 6.5
Calde 7
Dunk 7
El abd 8
Vince 7
Bridders 8
Nav 6
Spaz 7
Buckley 8
Hosk 6.5
Barnes 4

Couldn't choose a MOM between El Abd, Bridcutt & Buckley, all of them were very impressive. Barnes was awful today and looked out of his depth even against a very poor team like Bristol City.

"BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR BRISTOL CITY"!!!

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
That's more like it Brighton! A more direct style of play in the 2nd half played dividends. But, the opposition were pretty hopeless and Wood did very little.

Brezovan 8. Did what he had to do flawlessly. If he continues in this form we do not need another keeper.
Calderon 6. Reasonable game, but a few misplaced passes. What a goal!
Dunk 7. Good game.
El Abd 9. Superb. Don't think he could be faulted. Joint MOM
Vincelot 6. Was given a bit of a run around a few by their right winger. Made me a bit nervous at times.
Barnes 4. Not really at the races. A chance to impress not taken.
Bridcutt 9. Excellent. Joint MOM
Sparrow 8. Very good game. Back to his best.
JFC 7. Knocked off the ball a bit too easily, but showed touches of class.
Buckley 8. Getting better with every game. Well taken goal.
CMS 7. Not much to show for his 25 mins.

Subs:
Hoskins 7. Looked good considering he lacks match practice. Could be a good partnership with CMS if we can't find the target man we need.
Navarro 7. Did OK. His shot over the bar must rank with the worst seen at the Amex!
This.

I though Adam was an absolute rock at the back, very impressed; he & Dunk look a very good pairing - lets hope we can keep them together! I think Greer may not be an automatic selection...

Really would like to see Hoskins given a good run out, I think he'll just get better

Barnes - oh dear... feel sorry for the lad; he just can't seem to do anything right at the moment. Gus must see something in him, but he's just not delivering; not sure what Gus can do - keep showing confidence in him or drop him to the second string for a while? I almost thought today that we were 10 against 11; sad to say.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Brezovan - 6 - Very little to do.
Vincelot - 6 - Not a left back but did a good job. Superb utility option.
El Abd - 8 - Terrific. So solid.
Dunk - 8 - Welcome back. Did Maynard have a sniff?
Calderon - 7 - Flashes of the Inigo from last season including a SUPERB goal.
Bridcutt - 7 - Best performance for a while from Liam
Sparrow - 8 - Very bright, been the biggest plus in the past few games
JFC - 6 - Hope it's nothing serious
Buckley - 7 - Would have liked to have seen him trouble that booked full back a little more but stillinfluential
CMS - 6 - Needs a goal
Barnes - 6 - Busy, worked hard, but what is he going to do on the left wing?

Navarro - 6 - Did okay. We looked more solid when he came on
Hoskins - 6 - Didn't look at all match fit. Quick feet. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Bristol City - 2 - Two shots on target in teh last ten minutes. Worst away performance at the Amex?
Bristol City fans - 4 - Okay numbers, poor volume

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hoskins was good, fantastic first touch but had their centre back all over him all game. Unbelievable we didn't get any fouls from that.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Brez 8
Calde 8
Dunk 8
El abd 9
Vince 8
Bridders 10 Flawless MOM
Nav 7
Spaz 9
Bucko 8
Hosk 6
Barnes 3 (He is shite)

Agree mostly but navs also 3 he is as bad as Barnes,Brez had another good game good team effort,i would have given Calderon motm .

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
...... but you couldn't rate CMS and gave JFC a near mom 8 rating despite the fact he was only on for, what?, 3 more minutes. I think one of the problems with ratings on here is that they are too often coloured by who (the player is) rather than how (well they played). Not having a go but you can't really bite back at others when your own assessment is to say the least somewhat questionable. As it is I can pretty well guarantee that tomorrow's papers will be much tougher across the board simply because they are dispassionate.

Add to that of course that City were, by all accounts, the worst side we have played this season. I'm delighted with the win and especially pleased that Sparrow is starting to show what he can do after geting the same sort of flack earlier this season that Barnes is getting now. Just goes to show that Gus clearly knows more than we do about picking a player.

Not at all, I think my ratings are totally fair. Can you argue that Barnes wasn't very poor today? As for grading JFC I think he had enough touches of the ball and involvement in general all round play so I could grade him. Where's CMS took 2, 3 touches before he was subbed. And, does it really matter about the standard of team we we playing? If we beat Wrexham on Tuesday is the maximum grade they can get 5 because Wrexham are in the Coference? For the record I thought City looked better than Peterborough and possibly Notts Forest...

Anyway, if you think my ratings were perhaps a tad over zealous then fair enough, but I thought it was a great team performance so they were justified.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think Barnes had that bad a game today. It's all very well slating him but he was played out of position yet again. I don't see why Hoskins, a left footed player who often played wide on the left last season did not swap with Barnes, a right footed centre forward playing on the left. That said, Barnes hardly set the world alight last week when he played in the middle...

I think it's easy to get on Barnes's back. But off the ball to me he looked disinterested for large periods and was poor at winning headers... That said he did improve in the 2nd half

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Brezovan - 7. Untroubled, did exactly what he needed to - keep a clean sheet!

Calderon - 8.5. 'Sumptuous' goal, contender for goal of 2012! Great attacking and defensive work also.
Dunk - 8. Solid, great pass (it was him according to BBC?) to set up Buckley's goal, solid.
El-Abd - 8. Great work today, Greer definitely needs to earn his way back!
Vincelot - 8. Read the game very well, and linked up with the midfield excellently.

Sparrow - 9. Quality. Everywhere. MoM contender for sure.
Bridcutt - 9. Faultless performance, well deserved MoM.
Forster-Caskey - 7. Looked pretty good until he got subbed off.
Buckley - 9. Cut City apart countless times with ease, he seems to thrive on through-balls, something we should make better use of. Great game for him.

Mackail-Smith - 7. Looked lively and up for it until his face was viciously attacked.
Barnes - 7.5. Played well, nearly ended his goal drought, but denied by James.

----------

Hoskins - 8. Great performance, is he the striker we've been looking for? Help up the ball very well and could be the perfect partner for CMS.
Navarro - 7. Played well, did nothing of real note (apart from literally putting the ball into Row Z). But otherwise slotted into the side nicely.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Calderon - 8.5. 'Sumptuous' goal, contender for goal of 2012! Great attacking and defensive work also.
Dunk - 8. Solid, great pass (it was him according to BBC?) to set up Buckley's goal, solid.
Vincelot - 8. Read the game very well, and linked up with the midfield excellently.

Buckley - 9. Cut City apart countless times with ease, he seems to thrive on through-balls, something we should make better use of. Great game for him.

Mackail-Smith - 7. Looked lively and up for it until his face was viciously attacked.

----------

Hoskins - 8. Great performance, is he the striker we've been looking for? Help up the ball very well and could be the perfect partner for CMS.
Navarro - 7. Played well, did nothing of real note (apart from literally putting the ball into Row Z). But otherwise slotted into the side nicely.

I don't wish to denigrate Barnes, but 7.5? and better than Navarro? he was easily the worst player in an Albion shirt by a long margin.........

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't wish to denigrate Barnes, but 7.5? and better than Navarro? he was easily the worst player in an Albion shirt by a long margin.........

Really? I didn't notice much bad about his performance today.
Don't get me wrong, my ideal upfront combination would still be Hoskins and CMS!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Really? I didn't notice much bad about his performance today.
Don't get me wrong, my ideal upfront combination would still be Hoskins and CMS!
Spraying 4 or 5 shots high and wide, one so wide it went out for a throw in!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
GK Brezovan - 7 - Comfortable afternoon for the giant Slovak.
RB Calderon - 8 Unbelievable goal and had a much improved game from the previous week.
LB Vincelot - 7 Very steady game, could end up being are first choice left back.
CB El-Abd - 8.5 Probably the standout player of the back four, won every challenge.
CB Dunk 8 - Another superb game, and Greer may have to wait for his place back in the side.

CM Bridcutt - 9 Sheer class yet again. Broke up every Bristol attack and used the ball wisely.
CM Sparrow - 9.5 My MOM - boundless energy and linked the midfield to the attack brilliantly.
CM Forster-Caskey - 6.5 Neat and tidy whilst on, takes up good positions between the oppositions back four and midfield.
RM Buckley - 9 Reminds me of Gareth Bale the way he just eases past players. If he stays fit he could be the best of the summer signings.
LM Barnes - 6 I'm no Barnes fan and whilst he wasn't great he wasn't as poor as some are making out.

Str - CMS - 6 Lead the line well whilst on, hopefully injury isn't too severe.

Hoskins - 6.5 Looks like he has a great touch, but not hugely influential on the game when he came on.
Navarro - 6 Too often slows the play when we are looking to counter attack which enables the opposition to get back into a defensive position.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
A little more balanced :

Brez 6
Calde 7 (for goal)
Dunk 7
El abd 7
Vince 6
Bridders 8
Nav 6
Spaz 8 (my mom)
William 7
Hosk 6
Barnes 4.5

Tha above is way off the mark.

Brez 8
Calde 7 (for goal). Agreed. A great strike, but opponents again showed he IS the weak link.
Dunk 9
El abd 9
Vince 7
Bridders 8 Agreed. To get higher, will need to learn to see and execute a first time pass in our counter attacks
Nav 6 Agreed
Spaz 9. Classy performance. Knows he' playing well in all facets.
Buckley 9. Even before the goal. Class, and destroyed their wide left twosome.
Hoskins 5
Barnes 5

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Add to that of course that City were, by all accounts, the worst side we have played this season.

I actually thought they played some decent passing football in patches and were in it up until we scored - they did look like they ran out of ideas after going behind but I'd definitely say I've seen worse, Portsmouth, Watford and Notts Forest to name a few. Would be surprised to see them go down.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I actually thought they played some decent passing football in patches and were in it up until we scored - they did look like they ran out of ideas after going behind but I'd definitely say I've seen worse, Portsmouth, Watford and Notts Forest to name a few. Would be surprised to see them go down.

Forest? They absolutely played us of the pitch for 93 minutes, felt they were one of the best to come to Falmer personally.

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Forest? They absolute played us of the pitch for 93 minutes, felt they were one of the best to come to Falmer personally.

Forest & Albion were equally awful in the first half. Forest were nothing.

Second half Forest bossed a poor and unconfident Albion side, but Forest had useless forwards.

Bristol City were not a bad team, and had a threat down the wings. It was just that most of our players today had blinders.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Brez 7 Only one save to make all game but kicking/distribution looked good to me
Calde 8 Gets at least one extra point for an absolute screamer of a goal
Dunk 8 Maynard and Wood who are clearly decent players at this level hardly had a sniff. Bristol might have been poor but that's probably at least partly due to our rock solid defence
El Abd See above
Vincelot 7 Looks good at left back
Bridcutt 8 Good all round game, didn't think he was a good as some are making out but just my opinion
JFC N/A
Sparrow 8.5 Great game, if he keeps improving he could become an automatic starter
Buckley 8 For me he is the best player at the club. If premiership teams are not watching him the scouts are not doing their jobs properly. Oops, I mean he is clearly useless and probably wouldn't be up to in the Blue Square Premier League
Barnes 6 Not as bad as some people say, some of him passing was quite good I thought. Doesn't compare well with Hoskins however
CMS N/A

Navarro 7 Thought he did well apart from the shot. Passing and touch was good
Hoskins 7.5 Some great link up play, not huge but looked like he can hold up the ball well. Maybe we won't need a target man.

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009

----------

OMG there's always one, barnes was a 5 at most what game did you watch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here