Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the Season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1. Dicker (by an absolute country mile, then another one, then one more (then another))
2. Calderon
3. Murray/Forster

Really surprised at the amount of people voting Crofts. 6 goals in a season for an attacking midfielder is average, and apart from that he's done practically nothing of note. Again on Saturday he was anonymous while Dicker was working his arse off behind him, and Navarro was having a mare. Every time Murray had the ball in the area he was completely on his own, Gus absolutely laid into Crofts at one point for not doing what an attacking midfielder is supposed to do and get in the box for the lay back.

Can people give me some more reasons to vote Crofts other than "scored 6 goals all season"?

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
1. Dicker (by an absolute country mile, then another one, then one more (then another))
2. Calderon
3. Murray/Forster

Really surprised at the amount of people voting Crofts. 6 goals in a season for an attacking midfielder is average, and apart from that he's done practically nothing of note. Again on Saturday he was anonymous while Dicker was working his arse off behind him, and Navarro was having a mare. Every time Murray had the ball in the area he was completely on his own, Gus absolutely laid into Crofts at one point for not doing what an attacking midfielder is supposed to do and get in the box for the lay back.

Can people give me some more reasons to vote Crofts other than "scored 6 goals all season"?
I actually thought Crofts had one of his better games Saturday, at least in the first half. I agree with you generally though.

1. Dicker
2. Calderon
3. :shrug: Bennett, Murray, Forster all been good in spells.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
CROFTS without a doubt

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
2. Calderon
3. Murray/Forster

Not sure I follow you. Is Crofts an attacking midfielder?? I thought Dicker was meant to be the creative one out of the midfield trio. Navarro defensive, Crofts in between and Dicker a bit further forward?

Therefore if you compare Croft's goals to Dicker's then 6 is pretty good isn't it?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
2. Calderon
3. Murray/Forster

Hang on there, Dicker is meant to be the attacking one and his goals record is not to great. Crofts while not spectator has been very consistent. I like Dicker he can pick a pass but has a tendency to drift out of games. There is a reason why Poyet made Crofts captain

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mellotron - do you just watch the ball when you go to games? Crofts is the BUSIEST midfielder we've had in years - he covers a shite load of ground every game. He wins the ball very well, he turns well, he passes well. Six goals is fantastic for him as well - he does the simple stuff better so 6 goals and mainly important goals have been gratefully received...

I sometimes think (and not being funny here as could be well wrong with you) that some people have never played football regularly and expect fireworks every game - it's the donkey work that Crofts and dicker do which goes un-noticed by so many... I think you have to realise what a hard job it is for a centre mid - hardest on the pitch by a long, long way...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Crofts is usually further up the pitch than Dicker, I always assumed Crofts was supposed to be the "attacking midfielder", with Dicker as the link player.

For me Dicker should be Player of the Season because he consistently delivered 7/10 and above performances.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron - do you just watch the ball when you go to games? Crofts is the BUSIEST midfielder we've had in years - he covers a shite load of ground every game. He wins the ball very well, he turns well, he passes well. Six goals is fantastic for him as well - he does the simple stuff better so 6 goals and mainly important goals have been gratefully received...

I sometimes think (and not being funny here as could be well wrong with you) that some people have never played football regularly and expect fireworks every game - it's the donkey work that Crofts and dicker do which goes un-noticed by so many... I think you have to realise what a hard job it is for a centre mid - hardest on the pitch by a long, long way...

Ballbags, don't be so patronising. I notice all the hard work done, that's why I've rated Navarro highly in most recent games. Crofts doesn't pass as well as Navarro or Dicker. He never creates chances - you see Dicker play the odd incisive ball through to create a chance/goal, I can't think of a single assist from Crofts. Can you? Genuine question.

As I mentioned previously, Gus was berating Crofts for not getting into the box for some of Murray's knock downs. I think he's clearly meant to be the more advanced of him and Dicker.

Absolutely centre mid is very hard and I think the game passes Crofts by a bit too much. Perhaps it's a positional thing. I'm not questioning his work rate, I just don't think he influences game enough in an attacking sense.

6 goals isn't fantastic for an attacking midfielder. It's alright. And apart from that he has done very little to influence games.

Our best midfield performance of the season was 5-2 against Wycombe, Navarro sitting with excellent positioning and Dicker was just on a different level that game, given freedom to create. I think Gus put it - "best player on the pitch by a long, long way". And considering Murray scored FOUR, that's a big statement to make.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The main focus of my campaign is that Calderon is only here until the end of the season. If he is presented with the player of the season award, he'll realise how much he is wanted here, and sign a contract. Do the good thing. Vote Calderon.

Plus he is MADE for Blue & White stripes -

EgunHorif06.jpg

Oh, and this is my new favourite picture of Inigo -

x350.jpg

The hair. The beard. The boots. The short sleeves & gloves combo. The ball spirally out of the air just waiting to be controlled. F.L.A.I.R.

I :love: him, I do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ballbags, don't be so patronising. I notice all the hard work done, that's why I've rated Navarro highly in most recent games. Crofts doesn't pass as well as Navarro or Dicker. He never creates chances - you see Dicker play the odd incisive ball through to create a chance/goal, I can't think of a single assist from Crofts. Can you? Genuine question.

As I mentioned previously, Gus was berating Crofts for not getting into the box for some of Murray's knock downs. I think he's clearly meant to be the more advanced of him and Dicker.

Absolutely centre mid is very hard and I think the game passes Crofts by a bit too much. Perhaps it's a positional thing. I'm not questioning his work rate, I just don't think he influences game enough in an attacking sense.

6 goals isn't fantastic for an attacking midfielder. It's alright. And apart from that he has done very little to influence games.

Our best midfield performance of the season was 5-2 against Wycombe, Navarro sitting with excellent positioning and Dicker was just on a different level that game, given freedom to create. I think Gus put it - "best player on the pitch by a long, long way". And considering Murray scored FOUR, that's a big statement to make.

Woah woah woah not patronising at all - i'm never in a position to patronise anyone - that's why i put i could be completely wrong in the brackets...

But you make a point there which is 'balls' yourself - no way is Nav's distribution better than Crofts. In fact i think Navs distribution is poor and Crofts is good, although simple. Yes Dicker's distribution is better than both Crofts and Navs but I feel Crofts wins the ball, then turns the man 90% of the time and plays a simple pass...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Woah woah woah not patronising at all - i'm never in a position to patronise anyone - that's why i put i could be completely wrong in the brackets...

But you make a point there which is 'balls' yourself - no way is Nav's distribution better than Crofts. In fact i think Navs distribution is poor and Crofts is good, although simple. Yes Dicker's distribution is better than both Crofts and Navs but I feel Crofts wins the ball, then turns the man 90% of the time and plays a simple pass...

Nav's distribution on Sat was dreadful, but generally over the last....5-6 games or so it has been very neat. Because he is so slow, Navarro relies on two things - positional sense, and good passing.

I think maybe the issue is I feel we need to see more in a creative sense from Crofts, especially if we are going to play 4-5-1. I can't remember a single time he has played a ball through the opposition defence. I can think of Dicker making a few.

Crofts is certainly good enough for League One, but for a promotion push next season I think we need someone new, of real creative quality, to sit behind the strikers. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Apologies for the over reaction.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nav's distribution on Sat was dreadful, but generally over the last....8 games or so it has been very neat. Because he is so slow, Navarro relies on two things - positional sense, and good passing.

I think maybe the issue is I feel we need to see more in a creative sense from Crofts, especially if we are going to play 4-5-1. I can't remember a single time he has played a ball through the opposition defence. I can think of Dicker making a few.

Crofts is certainly good enough for League One, but for a promotion push next season I think we need someone new, of real creative quality, to sit behind the strikers. I hope I'm proved wrong.

I agree Crofts does need to be more creative mate - but considering the players we've had this season he's got less to work on than most of the others...

I'm still on the fence with Nav - he did well at Charlton but has had too many dodgy games for me - time will tell...

To be fair i tend to only do mid-week games so prob haven't seen as much as some people...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Nav's distribution on Sat was dreadful, but generally over the last....5-6 games or so it has been very neat. Because he is so slow, Navarro relies on two things - positional sense, and good passing.

Do you not think Dicker's 2 goals are disappointing though? I don't think he's set up many goals either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Do you not think Dicker's 2 goals are disappointing though? I don't think he's set up many goals either.

Yes, slightly disappointing although whenever I've watched us he has been further back than Crofts. He's certainly set up more than Crofts, I think he's set up about 3-4 whereas pretty certain it's 0 for Crofts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here