Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season - Vote El-Abd!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
His season only started once Poyet came in, he was shocking early season so that rules him out for me, similarly the reason why I cant vote for Calderon (joined Jan).

Between Crofts or Bennett imo, but what do I know eh!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
El-Abd was utter tosh for the first 15 games. He therefore is not player of the season.

Bennett.

Once again the voice of reason. Bennett has been consistently superb for us from the moment he joined the club. He deserves to be player of the season, but El-Abd deserves the recognition of being in the top 3. Probably 3rd behind Crofts.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
El Abd's confidence, athleticism, decision making, commitment, and even distribution, is right on top of his game, seeen him in 3 of last 5 games, up close, and he has been top class and just keeps getting better. Not a tall bloke, but his vertical lift is immense and he wins almost everything.

Yes Crofts and Bennett have had good ones (Bennett falling away at the end) but my Player of The Year (and I never thought I would say this after many years in the shadows) is Adam El Abd, truly outstanding and well deserved.

Eye opening for all of us that someone who we probably all thought was 'average' could make this degree of improvement under a new coaching team. Good story all round, good for him, good for Gus/Mo, and good for the club.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Crofts has been the most consistent over a whole season but I refuse to rule out Calderon - he played football that helped to inspire our turnaround and for me he represents all that Gus has achieved.
Not being ever-present, still less not being there when we were playing utter rubbish, should not rule him out

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
consistent whole season CROFTS

Bearing in mind that he was arguably the only player consistently performing in a team that was shockingly bad for much of the season, and he has by and large maintained his form when the rest of them have dragged themselves up to scratch, Crofts deserves it for me.

Calderon, yep, very nice for three months. Elphick has been good recently but complete turd for the first half of the season, El Abd similar. Bennett has been there or thereabouts mostly, but it's Crofts I'm going for because he is the only one who can stand up and say he's never let us down throughout the nine months.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Most improved - Navarro

Over the whole season - Bennett

My personal preference - Navarro

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
El-Abd was utter tosh for the first 15 games. He therefore is not player of the season.

Bennett.

A little harsh - during Slades time (first 16 games) El-Abd started 9 of the 16 games where we only lost 4. Over the season he has started 14 of our 17 wins and also played in 12 of 15 clean sheets.

El-Abd for me, he has played out of his skin.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Player of the Season 2010

Time to get voting.

After so many years of being a utility/fringe player, El-Abd has really stepped up to the plate this year under Gus.

No-one deserves it more in my opinion:clap2:

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

He hasn't even been our best defender this season!

Like most of the defence they were all making needless mistakes under slade and conceading sloppy goals too easily.

He like Elphick and Virgo has improved since Gus has been here but not as much as these two. Elphick has been a rock of a partner for him for the last 2 months and cover him hugely. Elphick has had to win the balls in the air and recover for him when he lets people past.
He isn't comfortable on the ball and chooses to hoof it long alot when he could try to find a team mate with a simple pass, something that Elphick and Virgo have both been better at since Gus arrived.

Our succes has come since the introduction of Calderon and Painter the later for me has been an unsung hero in the defence. but both of these along with Elphick have been better since January so in terms of best defender I only see El-Abd as 4th.

Personally Crofts has been the most consistent player all season along with Bennett. but Bennett pips him to player of the season due to playing more influential roles in the goals we have scored so he has impressed me more.

Player of the season
1st Bennett
2nd Crofts
3rd Dicker
The rest only played well for half of the season
4th Painter
5th Calderon
6th Elphick
7th Murray
8th Forster
9th Brezovan
10th El-Abd