Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season - Vote El-Abd!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry, did I say that?

I'm sure there is a (couple of) position(s) in between 'player of the season' and 'shit'. Maybe not in your head.

No, you didn't say he has been shit.

But you said you don't understand why anyone voting for Crofts. There are plenty of reasons, but by your own admission, you have no comprehension of any of them. What does that say about your head?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, you didn't say he has been shit.

But you said you don't understand why anyone voting for Crofts. There are plenty of reasons, but by your own admission, you have no comprehension of any of them. What does that say about your head?

While perhaps not holding as extreme a point of view as samhale, I think Crofts has played around 70% of the season at 6/10. That's not player of the season material for me.

Consistent player. Yes.
Is that consistency at a high level? No.
Player of the season? Nah.

Note - Calderon would be my player of the season, followed by Bennett or Dicker.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Crofts has had a really good season. Week in, week out. Not showy, just good.

Bennett is flair, sometimes. Anonymous sometimes. Not enough for the award this year.

Calderon has been great (as has Painter) but not enough time in the side to qualify IMHO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Crofts has had a really good season. Week in, week out. Not showy, just good.

Bennett is flair, sometimes. Anonymous sometimes. Not enough for the award this year.

Calderon has been great (as has Painter) but not enough time in the side to qualify IMHO.

I would say Crofts has had a "solid" season.

MK Dons was a typical Crofts game. Good engine, made a few good tackles, unspectacular, anonymous going forward, 6/10.

Both Bennett and Dicker have put in more 5/10 performances, but also more 7 and 8/10s.

Calderon has definitely been around long enough to qualify for me.

Player of the Season = Calderon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would say Crofts has had a "solid" season.

MK Dons was a typical Crofts game. Good engine, made a few good tackles, unspectacular, anonymous going forward, 6/10.

Both Bennett and Dicker have put in more 5/10 performances, but also more 7 and 8/10s.

Calderon has definitely been around long enough to qualify for me.

Player of the Season = Calderon.

All of this. Spot on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While perhaps not holding as extreme a point of view as samhale, I think Crofts has played around 70% of the season at 6/10. That's not player of the season material for me.

Consistent player. Yes.
Is that consistency at a high level? No.
Player of the season? Nah.

Strongly disagree.

I could count on the fingers of one hand (and that's not a Norfolk hand) the times where he has been as poor as 6/10. He is, for me, the ideals captain - committed, intelligent, leads by example, talks to his team, and drives them on when flagging.

He has played well (not just 'solidly') the whole season, and is one of only two players to have done so - the other being Bennett, and I didn't vote for him because he has had a couple of 4 or 5/10s.

The team seems to function OK without Calderon (not as well as when he is playing, obviously), but I feel it's rudderless without Crofts.

nikosdabi4

Jan 23, 2010
Bodmin, Cornwall
Player of the season
1st Bennett
2nd Crofts
3rd Dicker

exactly how i came up with my vote. bennett has been our best player by far all season! come up with important goals and assits. scored some absolute worldys in the process! possible albion icon in the future if he takes this form into falmer
:thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Strongly disagree.

I could count on the fingers of one hand (and that's not a Norfolk hand) the times where he has been as poor as 6/10. He is, for me, the ideals captain - committed, intelligent, leads by example, talks to his team, and drives them on when flagging.

He has played well (not just 'solidly') the whole season, and is one of only two players to have done so - the other being Bennett, and I didn't vote for him because he has had a couple of 4 or 5/10s.

The team seems to function OK without Calderon (not as good as when he is playing, obviously), but it's rudderless without Crofts.

So I assume you count the MK Dons game as a 6/10 yes? You can't give him a 7/10 for that one, he was far too anonymous.

Also let's not forget that one of the (very) few times we've been without Crofts, we saw the best and most fluid midfield performance of the season (vs Wycombe, 5-2 - Navarro and Dicker were absolutely sublime that day). Hardly "rudderless".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So I assume you count the MK Dons game as a 6/10 yes? You can't give him a 7/10 for that one, he was far too anonymous.

Also let's not forget that one of the (very) few times we've been without Crofts, we saw the best and most fluid midfield performance of the season (vs Wycombe, 5-2 - Navarro and Dicker were absolutely sublime that day). So where you get this "rudderless" from I have no idea.

Hartlepool away, for one.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The one guy who has consistently looked and performed heads and shoulders better than the rest of the team this season has been Dicker in my opinion. To me that is what 'Player of the Season' is all about.
Honourable mentions to Bennett and Crofts.
Can't get El Abd near to the top of my list sadly as, whilst his improvement has been biblical, he still scares the living shit out of me.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Wouldn't agree that Crofts has been "Mr 6/10" - more often 7/10 and popping up with the odd (very) critical goal at a time when we needed goals. Man of the Season for me.

But Calderon is damn close behind.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Against Wycombe we set up thus:

Bennett Dicker Navarro Cox

I've never seen our midfield play with such creativity and class since. There was so much space to operate in, it should've been 7 or 8-2. I genuinely believe we would've beaten any team in League One that day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What about Saturday's MK Dons game? That to me typified Crofts. 6/10. Do you think it was a below par performance from him?

I don't know.

And not knowing about it does not invalidate my opinions, no more than you pinning one performance on your opinion.

If you feel that performance 'typified' his season, good for you. If he played at your suggested 6/10 rate at MK Dons (and by whatever method one judges this sort of thing that 6/10 was indeed his performance level on Saturday), then I would say that did not typify his season for me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Against Wycombe we set up thus:

Bennett Dicker Navarro Cox

I've never seen our midfield play with such creativity and class since. There was so much space to operate in, it should've been 7 or 8-2. I genuinely believe we would've beaten any team in League One that day.

And you're implying that that came about because Crofts wasn't there? Against the mighty Wycombe?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know.

And not knowing about it does not invalidate my opinions, no more than you pinning one performance on your opinion.

If you feel that performance 'typified' his season, good for you. If he played at your suggested 6/10 rate at MK Dons (and by whatever method one judges this sort of thing that 6/10 was indeed his performance level on Saturday), then I would say that did not typify his season for me.

You don't know? What a strange response. As in, you didn't see the game? Or?

So by your own parameters, Crofts was below (his) par on Saturday. And (whether you like it or not) it was a fairly typical Crofts performance. It was. That's not being snide or nasty, it just was quite standard of him. I think the difference here is simply where I see a 6/10, you see a 7/10.

I generally think Navarro, Crofts and Dicker work very well together, by the way. Just Crofts has had nowhere near enough standout (ie 8/10 and above)performances to justify Player of the Season. For my money Calderon, Dicker and Bennett have all had plenty more.

Imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And you're implying that that came about because Crofts wasn't there? Against the mighty Wycombe?

I'm not implying anything. I'm saying that that 4 worked excellently (ie had perfect balance of pace, passing, creativity, attacking intent, etc), and on THAT day it would've beaten ANY League One side.

It was a response to your suggestion that without Crofts, we are rudderless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here