Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play-offs down to 7th place!

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
There is a rumour that the FA are going to give Leeds their points back and have decided to automatically promote 3 teams from League 1 this season meaning the play-offs cover positions 4-7!!!

Obviously there would be implications for the other leagues in terms of league size etc so not sure how possible this would be.

Not sure we deserve the play-offs but maybe the fat bird isn't singing yet.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
no chance the only way the league would go down to 7th for playoffs is if the 7th placed team would have been in 6th placed spot before leeds get any points back and as that cannot happen the playoffs will be as usual.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I've not heard that before. :dunce:

D

Deleted User X18H

There is a rumour that the FA are going to give Leeds their points back and have decided to automatically promote 3 teams from League 1 this season meaning the play-offs cover positions 4-7!!!

Obviously there would be implications for the other leagues in terms of league size etc so not sure how possible this would be.

Not sure we deserve the play-offs but maybe the fat bird isn't singing yet.
and what has this got to do with the FA ...........Fcuk All!!

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
no chance the only way the league would go down to 7th for playoffs is if the 7th placed team would have been in 6th placed spot before leeds get any points back and as that cannot happen the playoffs will be as usual.

But, if Leeds get all fifteen back, is it fair on Carlisle to have to play off for a chance to get into the Championship?

Also, if they promoted Swansea,Leeds, and Carlisle that would leave only three teams for the play offs!

Having said all that, I think Leeds won't get any points returned.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
But, if Leeds get all fifteen back, is it fair on Carlisle to have to play off for a chance to get into the Championship?

Also, if they promoted Swansea,Leeds, and Carlisle that would leave only three teams for the play offs!

Having said all that, I think Leeds won't get any points returned.

whatever happens about points the league would still look at the fact that as we would not qualify for the play offs there is no need to involve us in any way and they probably would give carlisle automatically a place in the play off final against the winners of 4th v 5th

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Can't see it happening.
Wouldn't next seasons League 1 teams sue for loss of revenue due to having 1 less home league game to play?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
whatever happens about points the league would still look at the fact that as we would not qualify for the play offs there is no need to involve us in any way and they probably would give carlisle automatically a place in the play off final against the winners of 4th v 5th

That's a possibility. But every scenario is pure speculation. :)

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys

well, yeah it is fair on carlisle as it was proved that the fl was unjust in taking leeds 15 points away and therefor leeds won more points this season than carlisle and would rightly finish above them.

saying that i hope the final playoff and automatc places are the same as the final league places are after the last league game

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think you're in dreamland, guys.

If this scenario were, by some deluded fantasy, to be true, what are they going to do with the Championship? Have 25 teams next season?

Or tell Leicester, Coventry or Southampton "Hey guys, you know you thought it was just the one relegation space you were fighting over, well guess what! We'll send two of you directions to Hereford after all! Surprise!!"

Utter rubbish.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If Leeds get their points back which I doubt
If the FL promote 3 teams on auto which I doubt
There would be no playoffs what would you do with the extra team in the championship next season?

Presumably every Saturday one team would have a day off.

Would be corrected by relegating 4 teams.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think you're in dreamland, guys.

If this scenario were, by some deluded fantasy, to be true, what are they going to do with the Championship? Have 25 teams next season?

Or tell Leicester, Coventry or Southampton "Hey guys, you know you thought it was just the one relegation space you were fighting over, well guess what! We'll send two of you directions to Hereford after all! Surprise!!"

Utter rubbish.

The nightmare scenario for the FL is having to push Carlisle into the playoffs.

It will become a triva question - which team finished second and didn't get promoted.

If and only if the arbitration panel decide the league were in the wrong, the trouble starts all over again for the league.

I know the above sounds implausible, but what do you think will happen if Leeds get their 15 points back. Carlisle just to say "oh well...."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is complete and utter garbage. It is as inane as chain emails promising good luck if you send it on to x number of people. The league are never going to sanction 25 teams in championship. The only way the 7th place team could ever be included in the play-offs would be if it was a preliminary game against leeds to get down to the usual four and that isn't going to happen. It's no coincidence that the decision has been left for as long as it has as the tribunal can now reduce the penalty to 10 pts. Now knowing the playoffs won't be affected they have covered themselves. It would have been different if Leeds had lost yesterday as any announcement in the week could have been challenged by us.

Perhaps before coming up with the 'I've heard a rumour' there should be some rule breach of which is punishable by death, if you don't name your source!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here