Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's this 7th place rumour?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Been away the last couple of days but just spotted this tucked away in one of todays Argus report -

"One far-fetched rumour surrounding Leeds' appeal against their 15-point deduction is that three teams could be automatically promoted and the play-off zone extended to seventh."

Had a look down the threads here but couldn't spot anything and cant be arsed to trawl thru every thread so dont "fixture" me but whats this all about????

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Been away the last couple of days but just spotted this tucked away in one of todays Argus report -

"One far-fetched rumour surrounding Leeds' appeal against their 15-point deduction is that three teams could be automatically promoted and the play-off zone extended to seventh."

Had a look down the threads here but couldn't spot anything and cant be arsed to trawl thru every thread so dont "fixture" me but whats this all about????

Must be even further than far fetched. That would mean four relegated from the Championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can only imagine it would have possibly been implemented if Leeds had failed to make the play offs and then got some points back to get them into the playoffs at someone else's expense.

As it is I think they may well have to settle for getting bugger all back now, as I cannot imagine the FL are going to want to cope with the repercussions if they let Leeds snitch one of the top two places now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Word is:

If Leeds get their 15 points back, the FL will allow 3 teams to get promoted automatically in order to avoid any legal challenges from the team that gets bumped to 3rd.

Teams in positions 4-7 will then playoff for another promotion place.

Next season there would be one extra team in the Championship. The FL would rectify this by having a 4 down, 3 up thing in 2008-09 which would redress the balance.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
And all this because Leeds are a bunch of cheating wankers and the FA are a toothless body!

These two have combined to piss on the end of the season for the other teams in the top six.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Word is:

If Leeds get their 15 points back, the FL will allow 3 teams to get promoted automatically in order to avoid any legal challenges from the team that gets bumped to 3rd.

Next season there would be one extra team in the Championship. The FL would rectify this by having a 4 down, 3 up thing in 2008-09 which would redress the balance.

Nah............... At best Leeds will get 5 points back, stay in the play-off and fight it out with the others. The mathematics and fixtures of 4 up, 3 down, then 4 down and 3 up is just unmanageable. If the FL decide to go for this then they're bigger idiots than the FA

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nah............... At best Leeds will get 5 points back, stay in the play-off and fight it out with the others. The mathematics and fixtures of 4 up, 3 down, then 4 down and 3 up is just unmanageable. If the FL decide to go for this then they're bigger idiots than the FA

I'm not saying it will happen just clarifying what the "7th place rumour" that is going about currently is.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I can't see 4 going up is a realistic option. What would happen with the 4th from bottom team in the Championship next season after they had got relegated? Another court case?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It would have to be agreed at the AGM so nothing could be contested in court.

And there's more chance of Derby winning the Premiershite this season than that happening.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Word is:

That actually makes sense but after all the cries of outrage about Leeds on here will we be upset to sneak in the back door to the playoffs if this happened. I wouldn't object one little bit.

Gives the next two games a purpose too, as it would be really galling to let Walsall finish 7th and for them to then make the playoffs

*hypocrite*

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh, how funny it would be that, due to the Machiavellan machinations of Bates, the 7th placed side got into the play-offs and somehow won (and if they beat dirty, dirty Leeds at Wembley too!).

That would be too funny. Please make it so.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, how funny it would be that, due to the Machiavellan machinations of Bates, the 7th placed side got into the play-offs and somehow won (and if they beat dirty, dirty Leeds at Wembley too!).

That would be too funny. Please make it so.

Won't it only happen if Leeds get enough points back to gain auto promotion though, so that scenario, unfortunately, would probably be a non starter?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

f*** me, so this debacle would stretch out for another year? just because they broke their rules and let Leeds 08 to play in L1 this season. I really really hope the rest of the league clubs do the right thing this summer.

now wait a second.... this makes a bit of sence. if there is a quiet understanding that clubs will move to kick Leeds out, this 7th place playoff means the playoffs would be as if Leeds werent there. no need to replay anything. interesting.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
third time I have said throw Leeds out of the league but if not fine them enough points to send them down to the second(surely they have broken enough rules to consider this+ that twat Bates is there so just do it) then we go into the play-offs if appropriate

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Imagine this scenario, a big team slips into the extra Championship relegation place next season that has been created to correct the numbers.

On the last day of the season they have to play Leeds.

Imagine this scenario, a big team slips into the extra Championship relegation place next season that has been created to correct the numbers.

On the last day of the season they have to play Leeds.

Could be us-we fit the big club bill...:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here