Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play-offs down to 7th place!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The most logical solution if they give back the points to Leeds thus making their promotion automatic and they want to promte all 3 would be to give 4th place a place in the final to play the winner of 5 v 6.

As 7th place we have no right and do not deserve to be in the play offs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is complete and utter garbage. It is as inane as chain emails promising good luck if you send it on to x number of people. The league are never going to sanction 25 teams in championship. The only way the 7th place team could ever be included in the play-offs would be if it was a preliminary game against leeds to get down to the usual four and that isn't going to happen. It's no coincidence that the decision has been left for as long as it has as the tribunal can now reduce the penalty to 10 pts. Now knowing the playoffs won't be affected they have covered themselves. It would have been different if Leeds had lost yesterday as any announcement in the week could have been challenged by us.

Perhaps before coming up with the 'I've heard a rumour' there should be some rule breach of which is punishable by death, if you don't name your source!!!!!!!

Well, it's not the league making their mind up it's an independent arbitration panel. The league can't say - "oh can you hang on a bit with the decision will after Brighton are out the play offs..."

I'm not sure the arbitration has the power to reduce the punishment. It's about whether Leeds broke the rules or not - not whether the punishment was too many points.

I think Leeds will get 15 points back or nothing. If there had been room for a points reduction, I suspect a deal would have done by now.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The most logical solution if they give back the points to Leeds thus making their promotion automatic and they want to promte all 3 would be to give 4th place a place in the final to play the winner of 5 v 6.

As 7th place we have no right and do not deserve to be in the play offs.

That makes more sense..

At the end of the day, I know people aren't particularly bothered any more because Brighton are out of the play offs, but in the event of Leeds getting their points back, and Carlisle losing their automatic place - something will happen.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
This is complete and utter garbage. It is as inane as chain emails promising good luck if you send it on to x number of people. The league are never going to sanction 25 teams in championship. The only way the 7th place team could ever be included in the play-offs would be if it was a preliminary game against leeds to get down to the usual four and that isn't going to happen. It's no coincidence that the decision has been left for as long as it has as the tribunal can now reduce the penalty to 10 pts. Now knowing the playoffs won't be affected they have covered themselves. It would have been different if Leeds had lost yesterday as any announcement in the week could have been challenged by us.

Perhaps before coming up with the 'I've heard a rumour' there should be some rule breach of which is punishable by death, if you don't name your source!!!!!!!

Chill out dude...its only a bit of fun.....if you are only allowed to post fact on this forum it would be pretty boring....jesus some people!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Leeds have saved them the trouble of doing anything controversial, by securing their place in the play offs, but not with so many points that to give them back a token few would adversely affect things (apart from perhaps giving them home advantage in the play offs).

The one thing I feel is an utter disgrace is the Football League allowing this to hang over the division for so long.

Carlisle could (I say "could", obviously they cocked that up royally at Millwall) have been promoted today, except their fans wouldn't have known whether to have celebrated or not, because of this giant shadow that the League have allowed Leeds to cast with their frivolous appeal. Swansea should have been parading around the Liberty Stadium in front of 17,000 today with the championship trophy, instead they're left to contemplate a mere 900 of their fans seeing it, half a mile back from the pitch at Withdean, or at some crappy, contrived ceremony back home at a later date.

Way to go, FL, through your incompetence and complete inability to take any kind of positive decision, you have utterly RUINED what should have been the climax to the season for at least two teams, and potentially more in due course, trampling merrily all over the integrity of the competition.

What an absolute SHAMBLES, and an embarrassment in the game. Who here has any faith in the League whatsoever to actually have the balls to uphold the punishment?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
its starting to look like the fl havent a clue what to do to get out of this mess hoping that if they leave it long enuf the problem might go away.

could they have done a deal with the arbitration panel not to release the decision until the end of the season by which time less teams will be affected and likely to appeal.

Its going to be interesting viewing whatever the decision. will beat the season finally of Gavin and stacey anyhows.........shoddy

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
whatever happens about points the league would still look at the fact that as we would not qualify for the play offs there is no need to involve us in any way and they probably would give carlisle automatically a place in the play off final against the winners of 4th v 5th

The 4th placed team getting a bye to p/off final to face winner of 5th vs 6th seems the only feasible and vaguely workable solution.

Personally I hope that trouble will be spared by Leeds' appeal being thrown out and for them to contest the p/offs. They've continued to enjoy the benefits of a squad too strong for the modest financial situation they should be in by rights so they've achieved quite enough points already imho. :rant:

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Why are every one going on about Carlisle?.They are in 4th.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I think Leeds have saved them the trouble of doing anything controversial, by securing their place in the play offs, but not with so many points that to give them back a token few would adversely affect things (apart from perhaps giving them home advantage in the play offs).

The one thing I feel is an utter disgrace is the Football League allowing this to hang over the division for so long.

Carlisle could (I say "could", obviously they cocked that up royally at Millwall) have been promoted today, except their fans wouldn't have known whether to have celebrated or not, because of this giant shadow that the League have allowed Leeds to cast with their frivolous appeal. Swansea should have been parading around the Liberty Stadium in front of 17,000 today with the championship trophy, instead they're left to contemplate a mere 900 of their fans seeing it, half a mile back from the pitch at Withdean, or at some crappy, contrived ceremony back home at a later date.

Way to go, FL, through your incompetence and complete inability to take any kind of positive decision, you have utterly RUINED what should have been the climax to the season for at least two teams, and potentially more in due course, trampling merrily all over the integrity of the competition.

What an absolute SHAMBLES, and an embarrassment in the game. Who here has any faith in the League whatsoever to actually have the balls to uphold the punishment?

:clap::thumbsup:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bill Arnold (Bradford bill), who lives near leeds, heared a lawyer on the local radio station up there saying, something like, if leeds had their 15 points back then they would have to pay back the money they get for being in the league (?) and this they couldn't afford so would go into admin again.

Geddit?

Would that mean another 10 points deducted.....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps we should play the season all over again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bill Arnold (Bradford bill), who lives near leeds, heared a lawyer on the local radio station up there saying, something like, if leeds had their 15 points back then they would have to pay back the money they get for being in the league (?) and this they couldn't afford so would go into admin again.

Geddit?

Would that mean another 10 points deducted.....
Does this means that if Leeds get back the 15 points they would have to go into administration again before the playoff matches start ? That would not get them a 10 point deduction in my opinion but a valid reason for the FL to expel them, Therefore the club finishing in 7th place would be in the play-offs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here