Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Places you went to on school trips

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sort of a survey really, as I'm convinced there isn't a person in Sussex who wasn't taken to the Weald & Downland Open Air Museum with their school as a kid.

So, which places did you get taken to/dragged around when you were at school? Ones I can remember so far:

1) Weald & Downland Open Air Museum, countless times. The joys of wattle & daub houses and charcoal-making...was a bit crap aged eight, but I'd probably quite like it now...

2) The Science Museum. A far more exciting trip, mainly as it entailed going to London.

3) The Natural History Museum. Ditto, but even better as you got to see the life sized Blue Whale, AND the dinosaur skeletons, a la One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing
:lolol:

4) The Mary Rose, one of the most disappointing things EVER as a child. All that fuss about them dredging it up from the bottom of the Solent, then when you get there it's just a lump of sodden wood in a shed. At least they had HMS Victory to numb the sense of anti-climax.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
ooh. Good thread.

Mine are

Woods Mill in Henfield
The lighthouse at Shoreham
The Royal Pavilion
London Zoo
Findon gallops
Cissbury Ring
Ardingly

...and the Weald museum

A long time ago but:-

Greenwich Maritime Museum
Natural History and Geological Museum
Science Museum
Madame Tussauds
Local Fire station (when at primary school, 30+ kids, 1 teacher, on a normal service bus!)

..Sorry Weald and Downland probably not opened when I was at school but I think it is a great place.

Kids today don't know their born bah humbug!

Wife is a primary teacher and the Science Centre at Herstmonceux is a favourite with both her and the 7 year olds who go - lotsa interactive stuff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good thread indeed.

Weald and Downland - assume that's the place I know as 'the house museum'.
Fishbourne Roman Palace
Arundel Wildfowl Trust
South of England Show, Ardingly

...are the ones that stick in my mind.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
We used to have a school trip every other weekend.

The ones that stick out are...

The Goldstone Ground :clap:
The Bodyshop Factory - I was expecting something along the lines of Willy Wonka.
The RAF Museum
The Imperial War Museum

Oh and Malawi, but that was a biannual event for 15 lucky students selected.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Mount Vesuvius - Naples
Los Angeles
Isle of Wight (needles, Blackgang Shite, etc)
Weald and Downland (classic)
Tate Gallery
Rottingdean Beach
Booth Museum

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Many weren't that exciting...

Cuckmere Haven

Ashdown Forest-Both multiple times and always on a wet Octoberish day.

Regents Park Mosque was a good 'un. Took us two hours to get there, the guy there seemed more intent on explaining how many lights there were in the roof than any interesting facets of Muslim faith, then barely 30mins in it was prayer time so we all had to bugger off for lunch.

I remember us being quickly rushed out by the teachers, apparently there had been some confusion in the toilets to which were urinals and which were those prayer washbasin thingies... Future year groups didn't go on that trip...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, here it is. The famous Weald etc Museum.

new%20home%20page%20market%20square.jpg

And the crappy Mary Rose. If you're a kid, and you've watched weeks on end of breathlessly excited Blue Peter presenters banging on about the discovery of Henry VIII's most treasured warship, and you get there and it looks like THIS....well no wonder I've always disliked Portsmouth
mary1.jpg

My primary school took us for weeks in Scarborough once, and to Ilfracombe in Devon. Scarborough entailed going to York, which is full of great ghostly places, and also has Jorvik Viking Centre with its indoor ride and 'authentic' Viking smells
:clap2:

And the London Planetarium, always a favourite of mine :bowdown:

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
One of our teachers discussed a trip to the Manchester area, telling us it was where Coronation Street was filmed. One day of the trip was to be to Chester, one of my classmates enquired "isn't that where the drawers are made" :thud:

Unfortunately this isn't a joke... it actually happened. Think they work in McDonalds now.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
That f***ing place near Seaford with the windey river....im sure we used to go there every few months!!

I think that is Cuckmere Haven..

I've never been to the Weald Museum Edna:( I feel deprived now, in an odd way. I remember an AWFUL trip where some bloke simply walked from our school down to the ol' abbatoir/those tower blocks near frydays and told us some old stuff about when there was an incinarator chimney thing there. That was a VERY useful trip??? Didn't even mention the Kemp Town Railway..

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
amnh-blue-whale-2663.jpg

The aforementioned Natural History Museum blue whale. I'd still pay to go and stare at that now :lolol:

:bowdown:

I also remember a combined day trip to Streatham Ice Rink, and the Commonwealth Institute, which, having just googled it, no longer exists. God I feel old now.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
My primary school took us for weeks in Scarborough once, and to Ilfracombe in Devon. Scarborough entailed going to York, which is full of great ghostly places, and also has Jorvik Viking Centre with its indoor ride and 'authentic' Viking smells

Did you do that in the final year as I don't remember that :(

Do you remember doing the Royal Mews? I've got a photo somewhere. Mum was one of the 'helper parents' and I clearly remember being bollocked for what I thought was cheeky playfulness which in reality was probably acting like a little gobshite :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Did you do that in the final year as I don't remember that :(

Do you remember doing the Royal Mews? I've got a photo somewhere. Mum was one of the 'helper parents' and I clearly remember being bollocked for what I thought was cheeky playfulness which in reality was probably acting like a little gobshite :lolol:

Yeah, Scarborough etc must have been after you left. I remember having an argument with Tamsin Waller and we both ended up crying. Mr Colgate having to comfort us

The Royal Mews, now that takes me back. I'm sure it was combined with something else though, we can't have spent all day looking at carriages and horses? The only one that sticks in my mind is the gold Coronation coach, and me believing it was made of solid gold...

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Being from Crowborough, I had a couple of trips to Brighton - 1 was some religious trip and we visited St Barts, a Synagogue and a mosque. Very boring.

The other was considerably better as we watched the Albion at the Goldstone - forget who we played but we won - Dale Jasper scored I think..

Also the science museum - superb - and we went some place in France one time the was also great.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The Royal Mews, now that takes me back. I'm sure it was combined with something else though, we can't have spent all day looking at carriages and horses? The only one that sticks in my mind is the gold Coronation coach, and me believing it was made of solid gold...

You weren't the only one! :lolol:

I think it was tied in with one of the 'big' museums (Natural history or Science) as I don't think we did all 3 things in one day. I remember going to the Science Museum and 'daring' someone who will remain nameless to hit the emergency stop button on an escalator in there. Suffice to say, they did it...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Houses of Parliament.. sat in on the emergency Lockerbie debate I seem to recall and wandered in a select committee meeting about the M25 :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You weren't the only one! :lolol:

I think it was tied in with one of the 'big' museums (Natural history or Science) as I don't think we did all 3 things in one day. I remember going to the Science Museum and 'daring' someone who will remain nameless to hit the emergency stop button on an escalator in there. Suffice to say, they did it...

Was that me? :eek: I don't remember it, but it must have been me or Dean Kean I'd guess.

You're a complete troublemaker, I'll never forget the toilet cleaning incident at St Lawrence as long as I live

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here