Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Places you went to on school trips

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I'm not sure the Weald and Downland Museum existed when I went to school. The trips I can remember are:
Fishbourne Roman Palace
Cuckmere Valley
Bodiam Castle
Residential trip to Burwash

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Are Singleton and the Weald and Downland museum the same place?

Anyway, my list;
Weal and Downland/Singleton
Cuckmere Haven
Arundel
Pagham salt marsh
Rye
Lodge Hill
Paris
Some churches
Sussex University
River Adur.

I didn't really get any good trips until college.

EDIT: They ARE the same. Their website; http://www.wealddown.co.uk/

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
what a superb thread!

My primary school had a history of an annual outing to Burgess Hill to use the outside pool and playground. It has influenced how and why I HATE Burgess Hill so much

Then Middle school was v quiet. We went to sheepcote valley (walked from Woodingdean y'know - it seemed miles). Then we got a week away at Parkwood (Henfield) where we went to Poynings, Devils Dyke, Woods Mill, St Marys Bramber.........and once again Burgess Hill where we were allowed in the indoor pool :(

At senior school it was more fun. A trip to Houses of Parliament (where I got told off for sitting down in the Commons chamber). Then we went to Wales (Merthyr Tydfil and Rhonda Valley) which was great. Went down a Coal mine (Big Pit) and also went to Maesteg and also canving. had a day by the beach, walked across waterfalls etc.

Our school had a couple of Rugby trips too. One welsh one didn't last as long as it should have done as we got sent home in disgrace.

Add to this the standard trips to Cuckmere haven and Alfriston and that was it. No foreign trips, no weald and downland, nor roman palaces.

I had a poor childhood :angry:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
always used to stop to piss in Croydon (those playing fields by the airport on the A23) and have a game of British Bulldog on the school trips to London

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Arundel, Littlehampton and Chichester on one trip, and Paris on another. Oh and a trip to White Hart Lane.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If you're including sport's trips then we went to Wembley to see England ladies hockey team get beaten by the Welsh. :(

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So long ago but I remember going to the Commonwealth Institute and the Planetarium plus we had a trip to the Isle of Wight one year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My primary school went to Lewes Castle.

At my secondary school I think we only did a few: the Science Museum, Cuckmere Haven and some place in the New Forest that kept snakes - it did have a real black adder. We also an Outward Bound weekend at Burwash.

I don't think schools in the 60s and early 70s were so big on trips. You youngsters seem to have done a whole lot more.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Amberley Chalk pits
some medieval place with wattle and daub huts and the like. If anybody can remember the name...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think schools in the 60s and early 70s were so big on trips. You youngsters seem to have done a whole lot more.

Youngsters :clap2: it's been a while since anybody called me that.

I've remembered this morning that we went to some farm near Lancing College, to examine the dew pond and traditional Sussex farming methods, how exciting, to Washbrooks Farm in Hurstpierpoint (only about five minutes from my school anyway), and to Worth Church in Crawley, to do some brass rubbings. Woo-hoo.

At secondary school I did a watersports trip to the South of France, and ski-ing in Italy. Where we discovered that Europeans have a far more relaxed attitude to kids drinking alcohol than Brits do
:clap2:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to Lloyds whatever it's called building in London on an Economics trip. I am the sort of man who has always been travel sick, so was forced into the front seats sat next to a teacher as they make sure i am vomitous in see-through bags alone. Each time one if these tiny parcels is filled with orange juice or the thought of water or some squashed crumpets bubbles i hold it aloft awaiting the cheer of those tearaways who giggle at the coach's back when almost anything happens, or someone has a loud wee in the toilet that's atop the back right wheels. Anyway, we went to Lloyds and filled the glass-windowed elevator, fearing it would fly through the roof and drift over the city, one of us fortunate to own London Bridge and imprison a twin brother or two to be kept there by concrete hawks and gargoyles steeled to the doors. Anyway, as we win skywards one of the girls in our gang fainted. At first people were shocked and worried for her, until we knew it was just a basic collapse and then we all giggled without mercy. Unfortunately, the difficulty didn't end there as she wet herself and the lift's floor. The meagre puddle caused screams and everyone veering to our cage's edges. When the doors opened we all had to flee on the chosen floor and hope our trainers didn't get pissed on. The fainter must have woken with the reddest face from that time on, terrified her splattering fall would be mentioned.
A good day out though, remembered for those reasons alone.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I once went on a School Trip to Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station. It was great, they showed us around everything and we had to wear ear plugs because the generators were so loud. I was slightly disappointed that they didn't let us play with the controls and it wasn't quite like The Simpsons portrays a nuclear power station!

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
We used to go every year to Earls court to see the army, navy and the air force do something, not sure what really.

Later on we went on a weekly trip to Cornwall which was pretty cool and we learnt how to scud down the grass covered dunes on lino. St Austal or St Ives, one was the place and the other was the beer..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Most memorable was the Northern Transvaal, Kruger National Park and the Victoria Falls.

Its really difficult to explain to people that when you are out in the African bush with no light polution at all, the sky is literally a carpet of stars. It was a sight I will never forget and can remember it now as if it was yesterday ( and I was 8 at the time - 40 years ago). seeing animals in their own habitat not a zoo was also fantastic. We also went to the goldfields of the East rand outside Johannesburg and were taken down a small gold mine ( not very deep) but truly awesome.

Schooltrips when in England I rememebr day trip to France ( by hovercraft) to see the gun emplacements etc around Calais, Geography trip to the Kent downlands/weald to see fields:(. There was also the cross on teh side of the hill where a plane had crashed and a small cemetary with about 5o graves...it was very sad.

Lots of England games at Wembley ( must have done 20 odd)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kruger National Park :O

Did you go to a posh school, Dave, as the rest of us had to make do with Drusillas and the Science Museum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here