Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Places you went to on school trips

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As part of my 20th Century History O-Level course, we went to Ypres in Belgium, inspiration for the poem In Flanders Fields. Visiting all the war cemeteries had a big affect on me and I remember it all very clearly now. Really brought home to me the horror of WWI. I believe to this day, The Last Post is played every Sunday at The Menin Gate, the archway leading into the town.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
From Primary School it was mainly Drusillas and I think Chessington (definitely not a World of Adventure then).

But we did have a memorable day trip to Dieppe. We must have been top class - but we all bought wine for our parents - that we then gave to the curtor of a museum when the teachers found out. On the way back - there was heavy fog, and a sea swell. The boat actually stopped - and the decks were awash with puke. Happy days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Kruger National Park :O

Did you go to a posh school, Dave, as the rest of us had to make do with Drusillas and the Science Museum.

I lived in South Africa from age 6 till 11.

Thats why my education was totally f***ed up!!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
All the usual places nearby, but the best were with PGL:

Shrewsbury - Somewhere near there doing absailing, ordance stuff and general messing about.

South Of France - Clearly the best one, went canoing down the Ardeche and it was a great time!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
An A-Level Geography field trip to the north east for a week was particularly traumatic.

We stayed in Whitby- not bad- but spent most of the week considering the social implications of Middlesbrough's derelict industrial wastelands and decaying Sixties council estates.

Always went down well with the locals that, a coachload of Southern students gawping their way around the depressingly badly planned estates on an air-conditioned coach.

We did that one. Memorable for a puch-up with some locals in Whitby who simply wanted a fight. Funnily they chose the wrong bloke in our group. Southern Softies 1 Northern Hard-Men 0.

We also did the urban transect - where we were dropped off in pairs around the edge of the city and had to walk in recording what we saw (housing, industry, parks etc). Ours was the steel works - for which we went into the pub for a couple of hours - then caught the bus down this road which was steelworks after steelworks.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We did that one. Memorable for a puch-up with some locals in Whitby who simply wanted a fight. Funnily they chose the wrong bloke in our group. Southern Softies 1 Northern Hard-Men 0.

We also did the urban transect - where we were dropped off in pairs around the edge of the city and had to walk in recording what we saw (housing, industry, parks etc). Ours was the steel works - for which we went into the pub for a couple of hours - then caught the bus down this road which was steelworks after steelworks.

Did you go to Haywards Heath Sixth Form College? They do the same old trip every year I think.

While we were eating dinner in the hotel one night, some friendly local lobbed a brick through the window, shattering it and narrowly missing some of the group.

It was only later I discovered this may have been provoked by one of the less enlightened members of our party writing "Southerners Have Jobs" in 6ft high letters in the sand on the beach, visible from most of Whitby...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Did you go to Haywards Heath Sixth Form College? They do the same old trip every year I think.

While we were eating dinner in the hotel one night, some friendly local lobbed a brick through the window, shattering it and narrowly missing some of the group.

It was only later I discovered this may have been provoked by one of the less enlightened members of our party writing "Southerners Have Jobs" in 6ft high letters in the sand on the beach, visible from most of Whitby...

No - that was Cardinal Newman. We went to different places - I also had a trip to Tenby. That was fantastic. We were there with girls from Hove High (I can't remember the circumstance - the hotel had a bar where we had drinks and dancing and people were pairing off. That and playing football on the beach - it was a fantastic week.

Whitby looked scenic - but was a rough old town. You might have got the brick anyway. I was pleased to get back home.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
A few come to mind:

Weald & Downland
Fishbourne
Portsmouth Docks to see the Trafalgar
HMS Curzon (can't remember where that was)
Porchester Castle
Kennet & Avon Canal (my favourite)
The cells at Shoreham police station. I think that was a school visit anyway.
Petworth House
A wildlife park hampshire way?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A few come to mind:

Weald & Downland
Fishbourne
Portsmouth Docks to see the Trafalgar
HMS Curzon (can't remember where that was) - WASNT THAT AT BRIGHTON MARINA
Porchester Castle
Kennet & Avon Canal (my favourite)
The cells at Shoreham police station. I think that was a school visit anyway.
Petworth House
A wildlife park hampshire way? MARWELL?

this may have been provoked by one of the less enlightened members of our party writing "Southerners Have Jobs" in 6ft high letters in the sand on the beach, visible from most of Whitby...
Kids, eh?

I remember my children writing a huge message on the beach at Blackpool ...

ARCHER OUT! BELLOTTI IS A WANKER!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hever Castle
Wakehurst Place
Brighton Station (we were studying the victorians and were looking at the architecture which was suprisingly interesting - largely as we were allowed to go under the station)
National History Museum
Science Museum
Imperial War Museum
The Globe Theatre
Millenium Dome was probably my last school trip
Herstmonceux science centre
5 days in the Isle of Wight at the end of Primary school was brilliant.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
We had the choice of an end of year trip every year to either Dreamland in Margate or Butlins in Bognor. Unfortuneately 'None of the above' was an option.

As you may know me as NSC's resident teacher, i have organised many trips over the years, including;

New York (including seeing the Yankees play)
Barcelona (inc. Barcelona v Villareal)
Venice
Rhine Valley
Amsterdam
World Cup '98
Naples
Loads of England matches
West Ham v Brighton (our 1-0 win)

This year we are off to Iceland (no not the shop)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here