Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Places you went to on school trips

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Houses of Parliament/Cabinet War Rooms was a good one, especially as we got to see the Queen and Nelson Mandela on a state visit -- but yes, I did bloody Singleton and Amberley Chalk Pits as well, I think (are there ANY good places of interest in West Sussex?) and the inevitable Cuckmere Haven. When I was at BHASVIC I went to Krakow in Poland as part of A-Level economics.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Weald and Downland museum - what a beast
Bodium castle
Newhaven beach
Pulborough brooks

Can't remember any others at the moment

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
An A-Level Geography field trip to the north east for a week was particularly traumatic.

We stayed in Whitby- not bad- but spent most of the week considering the social implications of Middlesbrough's derelict industrial wastelands and decaying Sixties council estates.

Always went down well with the locals that, a coachload of Southern students gawping their way around the depressingly badly planned estates on an air-conditioned coach.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The rock pools at Black Rock (long before the Marina was built)
Cuckmere valley
Engineerium
That museum in Dyke Road.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Was that me? :eek: I don't remember it, but it must have been me or Dean Kean I'd guess.

You're a complete troublemaker, I'll never forget the toilet cleaning incident at St Lawrence as long as I live
:lolol:

It wasn't you ;)

I have NO recollection of any toilet based shenanigans whatsoever :ohmy:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It wasn't you ;)

I have NO recollection of any toilet based shenanigans whatsoever :ohmy:

1) chucking liquid soap all over the floor of the Infants' toilets, and you & I being made to clear it up using only paper towels, by Mrs White

2) Locking the toilet door, climbing up over into the next cubicle, locking the next one, climbing up over etc until the whole row was all locked.

Don't come all the innocent with me now :p

D

Deleted User X18H

West Blatchington Infants- Lancing Beach - Stanmer Park and Village, Juniors London by train which must have been a nightmare for the three teachers and Ardingly Show Hove Park, Windsor Safari Park and London (City) again, 30, 15 year old boys holding up homemade NF banners through Tooting in 1984 priceless

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I went to Balfour and Stringer and the trips I (vaguely) remember going on are:

Southern Water (I won a scarf, the old granny type, not the ones that keep you warm in winter).
Plumpton Agricultural Farm - I think I might have got the name of this one wrong, it involved old houses where they showed you the 1st floor toilets where you did a shit on to the street.
Chessington World of Adventures.
Nautural History & Science Museums.
Booth Museum.
Dolawen (Wales).
Skiing in Italy and also somewhere warm in Italy (involved getting drunk every night aged 14/15).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
[QUOTE=
So, which places did you get taken to/dragged around when you were at school? Ones I can remember so far:

We went to 5 other approved schools for football matches and to take our plastering diplomas.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plumpton Agricultural Farm - I think I might have got the name of this one wrong, it involved old houses where they showed you the 1st floor toilets where you did a shit on to the street.

A-ha, I'm quietly confident that you're thinking of the infamous Weald & Downland!

The only thing your average eight year old remembers about the old houses is exactly that, the toilet in the big manor house. Or more specifically, the consequences for any passer by, should he be herding his sheep past at the precise moment the landowner did his business. Nothing sticks in a young child's memory more than information relating to bodily functions.

That was considered a posh house in its time too, the Middle Ages equivalent of a Footballers Wives pad. The peasants in the smaller houses, meanwhile, had to crap straight into a pit.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
1) chucking liquid soap all over the floor of the Infants' toilets, and you & I being made to clear it up using only paper towels, by Mrs White

2) Locking the toilet door, climbing up over into the next cubicle, locking the next one, climbing up over etc until the whole row was all locked.

Don't come all the innocent with me now :p

I can honestly say I have no recollection of that. However, it sounds like something I'd do/would've done :angel:

Mount Vesuvius - Naples

The day of my school trip up Mount Vesuvius (the purpose of which was to get us to spend lots of money at the factory that made cameo brooches), there was a plane crash on the mountain ... so the trip got cancelled.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

My chief memories of Naples were going to the cinema to what How The West Was Won, in French, with Italian Sub-Titles, drinking lots of Cinzano and walking down the street only to be attacked by a group of local lads. Fortunately, it was my mate who got knifed, not me - but the wound was only a superficial one to his back.

My brother went on a school trip to the Crimea, which fell apart somewhat when the teacher in charge got arrested for black market currency dealing.

We didn't go to school in Sussex, though. Did any of this sort of stuff happen at the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I forgot about Drusillas. Surely most people went there with their school too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here