Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piss take colleagues

FatboyTim

Jul 14, 2003
the moon
Robbo said:
Nah mate, i work for the NHS.

We've been in the news lately re: overspend of millions.

Overspend because we pay temp agencies to cover piss take staff!!

:rolleyes:

MY GIRLFRIEND WORKS IN THE NHS, THEY HAVE ENDLESS PROBLEMS WITH NURSES TURNING UP LATE OR NOT TURNING UP AT ALL. NOW, I'M NOT SAYING AT ALL THAT THIS PROBLEM IS LIMITED TO ANY ETHNIC GROUP, BUT TROUBLE IS, WHILST THEY CAN DISCIPLINE STAFF ALL THEY LIKE THEY'VE BEEN EXPLICITLY TOLD BY THE BOARD THAT THEY CAN'T SACK ANY NON-WHITE STAFF BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD THE PUBLICITY OR COST OF A RACIAL DISCRIMINTATION TRIBUNAL.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
FatboyTim said:
MY GIRLFRIEND WORKS IN THE NHS, THEY HAVE ENDLESS PROBLEMS WITH NURSES TURNING UP LATE OR NOT TURNING UP AT ALL. NOW, I'M NOT SAYING AT ALL THAT THIS PROBLEM IS LIMITED TO ANY ETHNIC GROUP, BUT TROUBLE IS, WHILST THEY CAN DISCIPLINE STAFF ALL THEY LIKE THEY'VE BEEN EXPLICITLY TOLD BY THE BOARD THAT THEY CAN'T SACK ANY NON-WHITE STAFF BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD THE PUBLICITY OR COST OF A RACIAL DISCRIMINTATION TRIBUNAL.

A lot of us have heard that one in our own industries. I could but I won't bore you with a couple of classic examples.

Robbo

FatboyTim said:

While i will not touch on the race issue too much, it just goes to show that you are disadvantaged if you are of white origin in your own country. I could open a whole new can of worms, but i ain't gonna touch it!!

I am not suprised about your statement whatsoever fatboy tim, all i will add is that its a f***ing joke!!!

:censored:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Robbo

The thing about the NHS as well is, its nigh on immpossible to get the push however much you take the piss.
Short of punching someone you wont lose your job.
We know that.

Robbo

Marshy said:
Robbo

The thing about the NHS as well is, its nigh on immpossible to get the push however much you take the piss.
Short of punching someone you wont lose your job.
We know that.

Agreed young marshy, there was a classic example at my old place of work. The bird blatantly wasn't up to the job, was a thick as pigs shit, took all the "sickleave" under the sun, clearly couldnt be bothered at work when she was there, and whats done about? f*** ALL, thats what.

And then the nhs overspends and wonders why? Absolute joke!!

Get rid of these time wasters if there not up to the job, and you've made a start haven't you?

Thats my opinion anyway.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
its the NHS's own fault for not employing permanent staff properly and lining the pockets of ex employees via agencies, disgraceful.

we have a Part time PAtsy here, off sick lall the time, has a go at the boss when he criticises her, grasses us up to him if we're late of go early if say hes not in, and always goes early herself . . .to 'drop the post off' 1 set of rules for her and another for the rest of us !

Lush

Mods' Pet
I know of someone at Camden Council who thought - like a lot of people there - that sick leave was like paid holiday ie you got to take so many days sick leave and so many days holiday a year.

He asked at the end of the financial year if he could have some money in lieu of all the sick days he hadn't taken!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I get more pissed off with smokers "popping off for a fag". There's a woman in our office who seems to be outside the door every time I leave my desk - she must be out there at least 10 times a day. I've worked with people who go off a fag twice an hour.

I'm quite happy people taking a break for a few minutes (in fact, it's to be recommended) but too many smokers are taking the piss.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
This women has been off for 2 days this week because her boyfriend is diabetic (he always been diabetic and always will be). She gets these days off as compassionate leave, now i don't mind that so much as she has been in the hospital with him for the 2 days. However she has has 7 days off this year on compassionate leave, that's on top off what is now 9 sick days and also her 22 days leave has given her 38 days off this year, 38.

I'm not saying i'm a saint but this takes the piss and is really annoying people, the sick thing is that she has walked in this morning and is really annoyed that she has 68 emails. So f***ing what, most of them are from people in the office telling her what parts of her work they have covered for her.

f***ing DIN.

I've come to the conclusion that you may as well join them, in the past i've made the mistake of not having a single sick day a year and what good has it done..... Sweet FA. So i'm now going to take at least 5 to 8 sickies a year, well palnned you see that will then put me well in the middle of the scale compared to other employees and no one will notice. :D

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Piss take colleagues

Goring Gull said:
I've come to the conclusion that you may as well join them, in the past i've made the mistake of not having a single sick day a year and what good has it done..... Sweet FA. So i'm now going to take at least 5 to 8 sickies a year, well palnned you see that will then put me well in the middle of the scale compared to other employees and no one will notice. :D

I've learned this lesson over the last year as well. There are a few slackers about in my office, and they get away with murder. They have been bad for morale since being shifted to our section. Before these people arrived (they were transferred against their own will after another department closed down, so they're useless and bitter about this) most people used to work hard, and generally the office had a good work ethic.

But ever since these lazy bitches and bitter tossers arrived, we've witnessed these fools get away with everything under the sun (excessive sick leave, leaving work early without approval, not doing their job properly and giving out the wrong information, unwilling to learn the correct information, being rude to clients, general bad attitude). The management are simply too spineless and gutless to do anything about it. It has pissed a lot of people off, and absentism has risen dramatically. Why should we be bossed about despite working hard and doing our jobs well, when they do nothing to the people who really need it? I've taken 6 days of "sick" leave over the last year, spread around carefully of course. There's feck all that they can do about it. And if they did, all I'd do is bitch and moan and whine like those other people do and they'll back off. They seem to reward these types of people, and punish the hard working, cooperative people.

Be thankful that your colleague hasn't been elected to a public office (for example as a councillor, or even as a school governor).

Most large employers (and certainly all public sector employers) allow up to 20 days a year special leave to take part in such activities.

Then there's jury service ... always a good skive.

In fact some people manage to evade work entirely. Mind you, they are usually the management. And their excuse is always the same ... "a meeting".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
BB- who do you work for?

Robbo said:
Chappers, i've got people under my supervision who, for example: Take a month off due to stress because they cannot handle finishing at half 2 everyday to look after thier own child who has been in nursery all day. This may sound extremely stressful, but she lives at home with her parents who quite ofter look after the child in question.

When the kids sick, her parents "myseriously" cannot look after the kid, so she has to take the time off to look after him.

So, 4 weeks off with stress (looks after the kid anyway to save nursery fees), numerous days off sick for herself, non annual leave day to look after sick kid, and on top ot that, her yearly allocation of annual leave. What does that equate to? f*** KNOWS!

Its a hard life being a single mother, i understand that, but she lives at home with her parents, claims all the allowences under the sun (financially) and then totally abuses the system at work.

I realise that i will no doubt upset a few people, and there are a lot of points that i have written that will come under alot of abuse, but tough f***ing shit!! If these people don't wanna work for a living, then f*** off.

On another note, i have another member of staff who phones in sick if he is denied annual leave. He is denied annaul leave because there are too many staff off all ready, then phones in sick!! Its got to the point now where he gets any annual leave he wants, regardless of who is already off, just so he uses up hie annual leave, instead of claiming a sick day!! f***ing JOKE!!! And to cap that all off, another member of staff was denied a days leave after new year because there are too many people off, but this guy requests that day off two weeks later, then gets it due to the above reasons!!!

Now i don't normally rant, but this really fucks me off. It means more work the me, and for the other staff that are left, and it generally beats the shit out of staff morale when they are constantly asked to do extra!

Summary= f***ing JOKE!!

Rant over!:angry:

You're their supervisor, right? Surely you should be DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of sitting around whining on a football messageboard!

Robbo

WhitleyDennis said:
You're their supervisor, right? Surely you should be DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of sitting around whining on a football messageboard!

I am there supervisor, but its those above me who approve all the previous mentioned bullshit!!!

I tell them what to do on a day to day basis, i would never of approved annual leave just becuase the guy will do a sicky anyway. I would have it all down on paper that leave was denied, have the guy sign it, then if he phoned in sick, take it to personel!!

Whather or not thats the right way, i don't know, but its not down to me!! If it was, they wouldn't get away with it!

Perhaps now you have heard me out, you will retract your "DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT" comment, and also the "WHINING" comment, eh WhitelyDennis?

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
This women has been off for 2 days this week because her boyfriend is diabetic (he always been diabetic and always will be). She gets these days off as compassionate leave, now i don't mind that so much as she has been in the hospital with him for the 2 days. However she has has 7 days off this year on compassionate leave, that's on top off what is now 9 sick days and also her 22 days leave has given her 38 days off this year, 38.

I'm not saying i'm a saint but this takes the piss and is really annoying people, the sick thing is that she has walked in this morning and is really annoyed that she has 68 emails. So f***ing what, most of them are from people in the office telling her what parts of her work they have covered for her.

f***ing DIN.
Fair play to her as she is like most don't like there job.:drink: :clap2:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
As an employer I can honestly say I don't think any of our staff take the piss out the others as they work as a team.

38 days off a year? That's one less than the staff holiday entitlement (25 days directional, 8 days BH 6 days discretional, including 1 day a year for communal celebrations, like the Xmas staff dinner, these days you take when we say or you lose them.)

Sick policy only comes in the financial year after you join otherwise its SSP. After that its quite generous with up to 9 months paid leave (not all on full pay)

We pay people to take time off for recognised caring responsibilities. Where this has been agreed in advance with the manager.

We give paid parental leave. (up to 2 weeks on full pay in the 3 months after the birth or adoption of a child, beats the law by a country mile.)

Any member of staff can take unpaid leave at anytime in agreement with their manager.

Its the future its coming soon to stressful jobs near you.

Our staff work in sometime stressful situations not knowing from day to day what they will have to deal with. Above average pay for similar jobs (Next job to go out to advert is a basic admin role, going rate c£12 - 13,000 pa, we will start it at £14,000 and it could rise to £15,500 for person with the right qualifications above admin (finance payroll etc). You have to look after them or you lose them and recruiting the right person to replace them is time consuming and expensive.

All our staff get dedicated computers (now laptops not desk tops), email and internet facilities and personal surfing is allowed (so long as you get your work done and its not illegal who cares).

Added to that the chairman plies you with chocolates and biscuits.

Can't comment about others but our staff seem happy with the package.

Oh the downside, you get squeezed into a tiny room with 6 other people!

Robbo said:
I am there supervisor, but its those above me who approve all the previous mentioned bullshit!!!

I tell them what to do on a day to day basis, i would never of approved annual leave just becuase the guy will do a sicky anyway. I would have it all down on paper that leave was denied, have the guy sign it, then if he phoned in sick, take it to personel!!

Whather or not thats the right way, i don't know, but its not down to me!! If it was, they wouldn't get away with it!

Perhaps now you have heard me out, you will retract your "DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT" comment, and also the "WHINING" comment, eh WhitelyDennis?

Fair enough. You are clearly at too menial a level for such responsibility. Consider my statements retracted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I love my job, its an absolute doss. I get everything done that I need to, I hit my targets, I have a good attitude, I am punctual and reliable, and I can get a weeks work out of the way in the first couple of days, leaving me plenty of time to mess about on here (when I'm not helping out colleagues who have a bit more on their plate - yes, I have polished my halo today).

But I'm considering throwing a few more sickies next year, cos everyone else does. I had 2 days off sick this year (genuine sickness). All the people around me have had at least 7 or 8 days, and it really is just accepted as the norm. We all got the same pay rise of a grand last year, and we'll all get the same again this year. I don't see why I should try to be so conciencious about my sickness when nobody else is (and I've come into work with colds feeling like shit a couple of times this year). I'm not going to take the piss with sickness, but I don't see why I should make the extra effort when other people don't, and the rewards at the end of the year are the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here