Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pietersen Resigns as England Captain

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Zola Budd of cricket.

I hate the way we are terrified of losing him and so grateful he plays for us. It is shameful. f*** him off, he can have all the tattoos in the world but we are a flag of convenience for him, it annoys me that people buy into it for 1 good knock in 3.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
But I think you'll find he is the first born and bred South African who has been captain of England based merely on residential qualification rather than finding a Scottish great grandmother somewhere,

Isn't his mother English?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
None of Lamb, Grieg, Prior, G. Jones, Pringle, Small, Malcolm, etc were born in England. Completely irrelevant to this particular issue. KP's EGO is the issue, not his birthplace.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He got too big for his boots and you can't have an England captain setting the agenda for coaches and training methods... I believe that cricket is still a "team" game and as such KP can't be seen to be the sun which everyone orbits around.

I'd like to see a coaching team made up from the great and the good ex players we have.. FFS we could have Gooch and Boycott coaching the batsmen, Stewie or Jack Russell working with the keepers, Tuffers or Embury with the spinners and Fraser or Goughie working with the quicks

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He got too big for his boots and you can't have an England captain setting the agenda for coaches and training methods... I believe that cricket is still a "team" game and as such KP can't be seen to be the sun which everyone orbits around.

I'd like to see a coaching team made up from the great and the good ex players we have.. FFS we could have Gooch and Boycott coaching the batsmen, Stewie or Jack Russell working with the keepers, Tuffers or Embury with the spinners and Fraser or Goughie working with the quicks

Agree about the team game aspect. But not on the coaching. The best players do not necessarily make the best coaches.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
get the king of spain in NOW :bowdown:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Thats what you get when a foreign ego takes over. You Sussex boys know full well that Key is the natural appointment for this job.Even though i'm still disgusted with him for taking Kent down.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From the BBC

Pietersen out as England captain

Kevin Pietersen has left his position as England captain in the wake of his rift with coach Peter Moores. BBC Sport understands Moores will also leave his post but it is unclear if the duo have resigned or been sacked.

The England and Wales Cricket Board held an emergency meeting on Tuesday evening where it is believed an initial decision to sack the pair was approved. But further meetings have since been taking place on Wednesday with a view to resolving the escalating crisis.

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said he had been told by an ECB spokesman that Pietersen and Moores had not tendered their resignations.

"Further board meetings have taken place following the one last night, which I understand concluded with the agreement that both Pietersen and Moores would be sacked. Andrew Strauss is likely to be named as Pietersen's successor."

The ECB has yet to comment officially on Wednesday but will be under pressure to publicly act firmly as the crisis enveloping English cricket descends into farce, only six months before the start of the Ashes.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose told 5 Live: "Pietersen gave an ultimatum to the ECB saying 'sack the coach or I go'. The ECB has said 'we value you as captain but we don't take dictation from you'. So they accepted his ultimatum and he has suffered. Moores' position has become untenable so he goes. The managing director of the ECB Hugh Morris had been talking to various people and there was the feeling that Pietersen lost the support of members in the dressing room."

Pietersen admitted last week his relationship with Moores was strained as they clashed on how to move England forward. The 28-year-old succeeded Michael Vaughan as England captain on 4 August and led the side to victory in his first Test match in charge against South Africa. He followed that up with a 4-0 victory in the subsequent one-day international series against the tourists.

But Pietersen's England were crushed by 10 wickets in their Stanford Super Series Twenty20 showdown in Antigua at the start of November.

Later that month, England were humbled 5-0 by India in a one-day series that was cut short by the bombings in Mumbai. England left the sub-continent in the wake of the attacks, but returned to India for the two-Test series in December, losing one and drawing one.

As for Moores, he has lost four out of seven Test series since succeeding Duncan Fletcher as England coach 18 months ago. And England travel to the Caribbean on 21 January for a Test and one-day series against the West Indies.

Former England captain Graham Gooch expressed his concern about the effect all this will have on the England team. He told 5 Live: "What really worries me is what's going on in the dressing room. There are obviously some factions in the dressing room, some with Pietersen and some not, and that's not the sort of harmony you want before a big series in the West Indies and of course the Ashes. But it is an unholy mess at the moment."

That comment attributed to Pietersen - aussming it's true - what a f***ing prat.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
strauss is a Aussie isnt he?

Nope fraid not yet another South Afrikaan

Born in South Africa, his parents (his mother is English) moved back to England when he was aged sixteen.Strauss first played cricket in Australia, where his parents lived for a short period. During this time he attended the Malvern Campus of Caulfield Grammar School in Melbourne. He's married to an Aussie says it all!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Obviously Australia cannot be involved in this in any way whatsoever so that rules out Strauss.Ha ha Skynews are talking about Warne hahahaha.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Obviously Australia cannot be involved in this in any way whatsoever so that rules out Strauss.Ha ha Skynews are talking about Warne hahahaha.
Well he wont be interested in driving the team around between matches! " A cricket team only needs a coach to drive them around or words to that affect" S Warne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here