Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone in thread

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sounds like it was a funny phone-in & I wish I could've listened to it!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Great Cornholio said:
I've got it recorded but I'd better not post it in case I get thumped. :jester:

Please send us it, should be available as a podcast

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Great Cornholio said:
I've got it recorded but I'd better not post it in case I get thumped. :jester:

You might get called a F****** C*** again if he loses his temper. :jester:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
British Bulldog said:
So what upset Harty so much then?

A reference to a wheelchair

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It was nothing to get excited about.Not like the James Whale show a few years back.Some really funny calls got through:lol:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Beach Hut said:
Please send us it, should be available as a podcast

Ditto that.

And I don't see that as offensive - but the 'PC brigade' would, so i can understand Harty not liking that, as he'll be the one who is blamed.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tom Hark said:
Funniest thing is nobody gives the slightest f*** about Harty's 'all-time underachievers' theme :D

I was going to give him about 11 Under Acheivers names, from that game, but I was too f***ed off with the performance, seriously, if you weren' there, you can't imagine how clueless the whole team seemed. And that was reflected in the tone of MMs voice.

I think the time has come for a change.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BUT and this is a big BUT, Phil, whop would you change it for?

McGhee is not a bad manager, that has been proved many times, what his problem is ,is the constraints he has been put under, and the fact that whilst his wheeling and dealing have paid dividends in keeping the wolf from the door, ie Currie, Virgo and Cullip, his signings have not really set the place alight.

He came on the radio after the Brentford game complaining that whilst we played well for 20 minutes, when it all fell apart, his instructions were not followed and that frustrates him week after week.

My argument to that is get a strong captain who is at one with the managers thoughts. this at teh moment is patently not happening. Perhaps as Steve says we are missing Charlie more than we realise and there is no-one out there who has the nous to kick people - remember the days of danny Cullip....do you think he would put up with some of the nonsence that goes on with heads going down etc.

Leasership is what we need.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
Dies Irae said:

Leadership is what we need.

This is very but surely we should be getting more 'leadership' from the manager? I think the lack of a 'strong' captain is a big major factor too but as the gaffer MM should be able to make the players follow his instructions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think you are right, but the worrying thing is that he doesnt seem to be able to.....now if that was at your office, what would you do , sack the manager, or re-educate the workers?

Difficult one

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
LDH said:
This is very but surely we should be getting more 'leadership' from the manager? I think the lack of a 'strong' captain is a big major factor too but as the gaffer MM should be able to make the players follow his instructions.

The young lads up front desperately need a leader ON the field. Someone to tell them where he wants the ball played and which way to run. Basic stuff - once you've been there and done that. With all due respect for their efforts, they can't figure it out for themselves, it needs somebody experienced to show them how, in the split second when they need to know. McGhee can bellow from the sidelines all he likes, but I doubt if they even hear him when it matters.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dies Irae said:
I think you are right, but the worrying thing is that he doesnt seem to be able to.....now if that was at your office, what would you do , sack the manager, or re-educate the workers?

Difficult one

Id say re educate the workers, If the manager is sacked then when a new one is appointed the previous issue with the workes is not resolved.

In our case we are not an office so I would say sack the manager, The players will do well under a new manager imo.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
Id say re educate the workers, If the manager is sacked then when a new one is appointed the previous issue with the workes is not resolved.

In our case we are not an office so I would say sack the manager, The players will do well under a new manager imo.

What if the problem is the manager?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I take all the points made and understand what MM is trying to do, but it doesn't escape the fact that he is responsible for a number of players falling out with him and leaving.

On Saturday the tactics employed by the players were dire. Almost every time our players, all but Michel, got the ball, they stopped, and passed the ball backwards, or at best sideways. This is a tactic that they have been taught, and it is not how we are going to win games.

The manager is responsible for this, and I say again, what is he doing to the players in our team? They are playing like they are clueless, or perhaps just plain scared of not following these tactics and then "falling out" with the manager.

I'm happy to see Brighton play in a manner that could get them results, and if we lose, then it's onto the next game with hope and some confidence. The manner in which they played on Saturday was not. And that it the managers responsibilty.

As for the captain situation, I agree totally, but the current captains we are fielding seem just as ingrained into this dreadfull negative tactic, perhaps they (Chippy & Guy) are also concerned that they might fall out with the manager if they don't tow the line. Let's face it, Guy, Chippy and Charlie are all on their last footballing jobs, and they want to make sure they don't end up on the dole any sooner than they'd like to be.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
What if the problem is the manager?

Then the workers wouldn't need to be re-educated. Id obviously sack the manager, As I now reluctantly would in our situation.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here