Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

phone in thread

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One of the callers definitely said something about DK taking money out of the Club.

I wouldn't blame Harty for not noticing the comment. In my previous life, I used to do a monthly phone-in on what was then Radio Sussex and I know that the presenters have a lot more to do than just listen to the callers. It's very easy to be distracted and miss points that are made, particularly when the caller is delivering a whole stream of drivel and the presenter is pre-occupied with what might be coming up next.

In the press area was harty, myself, wardy and at the start of the phone in JB, and I can hand on heart say that I or any of the people there did not hear anything about DK taking money out of the club. In the conversation I had with matt(?) I was asked about the Falmer funding, which i said that I was concerned that with the falling gates and having to drop ticket prices this may affect the ability to raise funds, but I thought that was just common sense. I also corrected harty in his assumption that we could divert £1million from the fund to the playing side as I understand that the Stadium Building Fund belonged to B&HA Stadium Limited, not B&HA FC Limited.

One thing that I still find really odd is that last year it was generally agreed that the costs of the stadium applications of £3.5million would be transferred to the Stadium Company, thereby not affectiong the running of the club - and allowing funds to be ploughed back into the playing side......if so that does not appear to have happened OR funds were never going to be made available!!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It was definitely said at about half five and was followed by harty saying that the only way for sure that the facts will be known is by Dick Knight 'putting a set of cans on' and joining him on the phone in. Think it was Steve from Hove.

Funny how two of the people with 'cans' on didn't hear it though!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Titanic play me that exact part of the show, with the alleged suggestion, back before Saturday and I will give £100 to the Chestnut Tree Childrens Hospice in Worthing and if you can't, you can pay £50 instead.

Thanks for all who called, and apologies for those who didn't get on, but we'll do it all again Saturday.

Ian, it was said... and it wasn't challenged... fairly early on, sometime before 5:45 when I turned the phone-in off in disgust. If you want to pay the Chestnut Tree £100 then great, but I would rather you just listened to what people said and challenged it, than let the sort of drivel that goes for discussion/debate/comment on the phone-in.

I used to love the phone in but the quality of callers (and the same tired old comments) is a bit sad. When you asked two callers in a row to name a transfer target they couldn't name a single player other than Danny Cullip who the previous caller mentioned.

I would rather have very short opinions/comments from callers and then a discussion by the 'studio' guest(s) and you than listen to the ill-informed and rambling comments you seem to get.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I used to love the phone in but the quality of callers (and the same tired old comments) is a bit sad. When you asked two callers in a row to name a transfer target they couldn't name a single player other than Danny Cullip who the previous caller mentioned.

But what do you do to get around that?

Its up to people to call in isnt it. When doing the Phone in, Harty lists down the callers that are fed by Sophia and every week, there is the same names appearing...the only way that will change is if more people call in. Harty does say at the beginning of the phone in he would like new callers, but the times I have spoken to mates and asked them to phone, I just get the same..." Oh I cant talk on the radio..."

Ade, I really didnt hear that comment or certainly I would have said something!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
credit where credit is due

In the press area was harty, myself, wardy and at the start of the phone in JB

When I read your first post last night I assumed you were writing on the super duper phone-in as a listener not as someone who had presented it!

As we're in self-back-patting mode - can I just say that I'm rather pleased at how I've performed at work so far this morning? Some top-drawer email tidying has been happening here.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
But what do you do to get around that?

Its up to people to call in isnt it. When doing the Phone in, Harty lists down the callers that are fed by Sophia and every week, there is the same names appearing...the only way that will change is if more people call in. Harty does say at the beginning of the phone in he would like new callers, but the times I have spoken to mates and asked them to phone, I just get the same..." Oh I cant talk on the radio..."

Ade, I really didnt hear that comment or certainly I would have said something!!!

i dont bother phoning any more as it has turned into zoo radio. matt's call yesterday was the exception. I dont complain about it either. But I really cannot fathom how a comment cannot have been heard by any of the other parties to the call unless the cans at the bbc all had a momentary lapse at the same time or nobody was taking any notice of the caller.

One thing that Harty and the other presenters seem to forget is that most callers leaving the ground haven't heard the opening ten minutes of the programme, because they haven't got back to their car at that stage.

They therefore DON'T KNOW that Harty has a theme that he is following. Hence they are unprepared for the sudden question "Who should the Club sign during the transfer window?" They are bound to flounder when it is put to them - particularly if it is completely irrelevant to the point that they have phoned in to make.

The show is much better if the fans, not the presenter, set the agenda.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
DTG - the tone of the phone in is normally set by the prat Surajah for some reason beyond me.

And don't say it's the quality of the caller, he / she is always on it and is very boring

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Perhaps it has run it's course then? For me, I gave up listening several months back, but thought I'd give it another try yesterday. I'd rather talk about the game in the car with my son than get wound up by the crass comments on the radio.

Yesterday we were upbeat about a battling performance by the barebones squad players... and a great result. We talked about the need to add to the squad as cover is so thin... but are well aware of the cash situation.
We thought that pretty much all of the players produced what we expect of them - and combined with a great team effort - including DW coming down onto the bench during the first half to whip things up... it was what we have grown to know and love at the Albion.

However, there must be at least 2 fairly decent wages available (and possibly 3 if/when Bas goes) to bring in loan players or signings.

DW and DK (and previous managers) have a great record of identifying potential... in fact perhaps they are too good... because our loanees very often go back to bigger and better things or get snapped up by other clubs.

We would be better finding decent Div1/lower championship players, like Andrew Whing, than potential super stars we can't afford to keep.

But did we hear anything sensible like this on the phone-in ?

No, just whinging and moaning - and some arrogant, downright scandalous or just plain stupid comments about the club, directors, individual players etc... nothing positive.. stuff I'd rather not listen to.

<rant over>

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When I read your first post last night I assumed you were writing on the super duper phone-in as a listener not as someone who had presented it!

As we're in self-back-patting mode - can I just say that I'm rather pleased at how I've performed at work so far this morning? Some top-drawer email tidying has been happening here.

to be fair I was only on for 2 minutes ......I was more commenting on the phone in itself

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
DTG - the tone of the phone in is normally set by the prat Surajah for some reason beyond me.

And don't say it's the quality of the caller, he / she is always on it and is very boring

he is always the first one to call in!!!!

The calls are not filtered!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perhaps it has run it's course then? For me, I gave up listening several months back, but thought I'd give it another try yesterday. I'd rather talk about the game in the car with my son than get wound up by the crass comments on the radio.

Yesterday we were upbeat about a battling performance by the barebones squad players... and a great result. We talked about the need to add to the squad as cover is so thin... but are well aware of the cash situation.
We thought that pretty much all of the players produced what we expect of them - and combined with a great team effort - including DW coming down onto the bench during the first half to whip things up... it was what we have grown to know and love at the Albion.

However, there must be at least 2 fairly decent wages available (and possibly 3 if/when Bas goes) to bring in loan players or signings.

DW and DK (and previous managers) have a great record of identifying potential... in fact perhaps they are too good... because our loanees very often go back to bigger and better things or get snapped up by other clubs.

We would be better finding decent Div1/lower championship players, like Andrew Whing, than potential super stars we can't afford to keep.

No, just whinging and moaning - and some arrogant, downright scandalous or just plain stupid comments about the club, directors, individual players etc... nothing positive.. stuff I'd rather not listen to.

<rant over>

But if you had said all of that on the radio, rather than ranting it to a couple of people on here, that would have been brilliant and just the sort of thing people want to hear ( judging by what is normally written on threads on hear about the phone in!)

This is the issue.....

harty is on to a hiding for nothing really.....if he is not there and Simon does it, he is castigated as being "Mr Club" and "boring" if harty does it, he is accused of the opposite.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

<rant over>
As someone who has listened to the phone-in from time to time this describes what I have heard every time and is why I listen to 5 live instead. A few years ago you could listen to local radio on the way back from the game and get some inmformed comment from players or manager. Now all you seem to get is a bunch of idiots phoning in to a show where the agenda is always the same - negative. It was time to change the record years ago.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Was that call the one who was asking about the Kazim Richards money as well?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was that call the one who was asking about the Kazim Richards money as well?

Steve (?)

I do remember him talking about kazim Richards, but didn't pick up on the "syphoning off money" bit.

Talking to harty a minute ago, he definately didnt pick up on that.

To be fair I have once or twice argued with people on the phone when the phrase..."where has all the playoff/zamora/virgo money gone" has been used!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
One thing that Harty and the other presenters seem to forget is that most callers leaving the ground haven't heard the opening ten minutes of the programme, because they haven't got back to their car at that stage.

They therefore DON'T KNOW that Harty has a theme that he is following. Hence they are unprepared for the sudden question "Who should the Club sign during the transfer window?" They are bound to flounder when it is put to them - particularly if it is completely irrelevant to the point that they have phoned in to make.

The show is much better if the fans, not the presenter, set the agenda.

spot on - if you call in from the game, particularly one up north, then you dont have a CLUE what is going on with regards to the topics

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Titanic play me that exact part of the show, with the alleged suggestion, back before Saturday and I will give £100 to the Chestnut Tree Childrens Hospice in Worthing and if you can't, you can pay £50 instead.

Thanks for all who called, and apologies for those who didn't get on, but we'll do it all again Saturday.

I heard it too, was definitely said.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I heard it too, was definitely said.

can only assume that mike ward was passing round his recipe for corned beef hash or dave was showing pics on naked ladies on his phone at the time so that none of the three heard it. strange as harty responded to it by saying that getting knight on would answer the point.

if he does come on, get a new set of headphones so he can hear the calls. we wouldn't want him missing anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here