Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perry puts the boot into Neighbour

From the official website:-

Perry Refutes Lewes Claim

By Tim Dudding

Albion chief-executive Martin Perry has reacted angrily to claims made by Lewes Councillor David Neighbour that the club has only just "jumped on the scene" with regards to Lewes District Council's High Court Appeal against the new stadium at Falmer.

In a council press release, Neighbour said, "Since this dispute is one between the Council and the Secretary of State there is no need for the football club to get involved. However, having chosen to do so one might have hoped they'd not left it so late. We filed our case in December 2005 and the club has jumped on the scene just 8 weeks before the trial date."

Neighbour also goes on to suggest that the club has no need to defend itself at the hearing because it is not a main party in proceedings.

In a letter to the Argus, Perry wrote, 'Is there no limit to the extent that Lewes District Council will go to try to mislead the public about their position on the stadium?

'Not content with doctoring photographs and publishing them they are now sending out press releases which don't bear any relation to the facts whatsoever.

'Let's examine the real facts. Lewes named the football club as a co-defendant in their claim to the High Court in December - if we are a defendant we are entitled to defend ourselves. If it is shown that the hearing was unnecessary we are entitled to recover our costs.

'The Treasury Solicitor made his offer to concede on one ground on 6th April.

'Lewes did not respond to the Treasury Solicitor until 8th May and didn't even bother to send that response to the club, we had to chase it and received it four days later.

'We agreed some proposed amendments with Brighton & Hove City Council and sent these to the Treasury Solicitor and Lewes on 11th May. The Treasury Solicitor accepted our amendments on 23rd May.

'Lewes proposed some further amendments on 1st June which were rejected by the Treasury Solicitor on 2nd June.

'We put forward some compromise wording on 5th June which was followed up by e-mails and letter. We received no response from Lewes.

'The Treasury Solicitor wrote on 4th August advising the court that the a substantive hearing was not in the interests of any party. The club and Brighton & Hove City Council wrote to the Treasury Solicitor agreeing to this position.

'We followed up our compromise suggestions again by letter dated 11 August, e-mail on 22nd August and letter on 13th September. No response from Lewes.

'Having failed to elicit a response from Lewes we made our application to the Court on 31st August. Eventually we received a response from Lewes rejecting our suggestions on 15th September.

'It is quite obvious from the above, that once we were made aware of the Treasury Solicitor's position in April we have actively been involved but have been obstructed the whole way by Lewes District Council who want to delay this process for as long as possible.

'No Mr Neighbour, we haven't just "jumped on the scene". Your residents need to know that you have failed to respond promptly and failed to agree to the reasonable offers you have been made. A substantive hearing is unnecessary and you run the risk of incurring substantial costs

'Is Mr Neighbour deliberately being disingenuous or perhaps he doesn't he know what's going on? Scary, given the amount of money involved.'

:lolol: Home run by Perry :clap:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Our Mart has the patience of a saint on this one.

I do wonder just how long he can go before he loses his rag completely and starts screaming "you lying f*ckers!"?

Screaming J said:
I do wonder just how long he can go before he loses his rag completely and starts screaming "you lying f*ckers!"?
When the "Sussex wun't be druv" slogan was under discussion at the pre-rally Falmer For All meeting, no less a person than Liz Costa referred to the peculiarities of this quaint old Sussex dialect phrase with a helpful explanation ...

" 'Wun't'... Rhymes with 'Baker' "

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Lord Bracknell said:
When the "Sussex wun't be druv" slogan was under discussion at the pre-rally Falmer For All meeting, no less a person than Liz Costa referred to the peculiarities of this quaint old Sussex dialect phrase with a helpful explanation ...

" 'Wun't'... Rhymes with 'Baker' "
She didn't say WHICH Baker did she?:down:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Bakesy said:
She didn't say WHICH Baker did she?:down:
the one she was referring to is a ****

you on the other hand just CANT FUCKIN ARM WRESTLE :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Shameful as they are, at least the lies are being shown up - Perry is spot on highlighting the chances they have been offered to settle this cheaper and quicker. That may well be what the Lewes voters need to remember afterwards.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Perry is magic. Wonderful riposte to the lies of Lewes. Will the Argus print all the letter though and I hope its gone to the Sussex Express as well 'cos those frightfully splendid Lewes folk would not dream of reading such a common paper as The Argus. It's printed in Brighton don't you know.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Oh. I thought there were going to be photos :(

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
LDC have been misleading the public for the last 2 years.

About 4 months ago I went to a BBQ and started speaking to a couple. The subject of Falmer came up and they said to me "Not in our back yard thank you very much".

I said "what do you mean?",

they said that where apposed to it because its Brightons stadium and that it should be built in Brighton.

I then said to them that the stadium was being in Brightons boundary and has nothing to do with LDC, and that LDC are wasting their money.

At this point I decided to end the conversation before I ended up getting in to an argument because I cant stand people like this.

It proof that LDC have been leading people down the garden path.

There are still 1000's of people in East Sussex confused about Falmer. I can guarantee you that a lot of people thinks it's being built in the Lewes boundary and I can also guarantee you that they don't even know where this stadium is going. All they hear is that this stadium will be blot on the landscape and that everyone will be able to see it.

I really really hate the Liberal Democrates. My X will be for the seagulls party next May. If we know nothing is going to get resolved until May we need to send out leaflets in plain Engliah expalining why the Liberal Democrates and LDC have wasted their money.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am never really sure what these things ever really do to add to the debate.

LDC are vermently against the stadium and will put out stuff that in their eyes supports their case and we are vermently for the stadium and will try to rubbish LDC's standpoint .

Its a game of posturing on both sides. We all know our case is right, LDC and its supporters know their case is right.

I for one cant wait until the court case chucks out the Governments decision, so allowing Ruth Kelly to have another go at getting it right ( thanks John). Once she has done that, perhaps this posturing will stop and we can get on with our lives

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
What's Perry on about with the doctored photos claim? Take it this is old news...
Old news is still the truth. For anyone still unaware, LDC's own newsletter (District Link, Spring 2006) - it goes to all LDC residents - contained one photograph of 'Downland around Falmer' that had been altered by superimposing two hikers (copied from a different picture altogether) over a certain part of a seemingly unspoilt landscape. The two pasted-in hikers now obliterated the ugly 1960s Brighton University buildings that would otherwise have been horribly visible - and spoilt the illusion of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Sadly, Harty would not allow one recent phone-in caller to repeat this fact. But it's good that Martin Perry has.

Last edited:

I think the problem is that because we know the truth about the stadium site and LDC's underhand tactics, we assume that everyone else does too when in actual fact, most people are very ignorant of the facts. I think we should produce a leaflet that very simply outlines the facts and shows the Falmer site for what it is. The "Field of dreams" pictures that I have seen the club produce in the past just provide LDC with more ammunition to mis-lead the non-football supporting public. I think this would have much more impact then for example the spoof menu, as the facts are much more shocking. The only way to get the Lib Dems on LDC voted out is to educate the electorate.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gilliver's Travels said:
The two pasted-in hikers now obliterated the ugly 1960s Brighton University buildings that would otherwise have been horribly visible - and spoilt the illusion of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Sadly, Harty would not allow one recent phone-in caller to repeat this fact. But it's good that Martin Perry has.

The point about that ( and I am trying not to sound like a harty apologist here) is that this point has been mentioned time and time again, in fact on one phone in, it was all the rage, and harty was trying to move the debate on.

It was not a deliberate attempt to stifle debate on the subject.

the last two weeks the lines have been manic and trying to get everyone on is an art!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lokki 7 said:
I think the problem is that because we know the truth about the stadium site and LDC's underhand tactics, we assume that everyone else does too when in actual fact, most people are very ignorant of the facts. I think we should produce a leaflet that very simply outlines the facts and shows the Falmer site for what it is. The "Field of dreams" pictures that I have seen the club produce in the past just provide LDC with more ammunition to mis-lead the non-football supporting public. I think this would have much more impact then for example the spoof menu, as the facts are much more shocking. The only way to get the Lib Dems on LDC voted out is to educate the electorate.

But people chose to believe their own agenda items.

There are people on here who do not believe MP, why should a NIMBY in Lewes believe our " propoganda" we certainly do not believe LDC's do we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here