Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perry puts the boot into Neighbour

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brovian said:
Actually that's where you're wrong. If you could, metaphorically speaking, sit LDC down and get it pissed it would tell you that frankly it hasn't got a leg to stand on and that its case is based on lies and pedantry. They don't want the stadium.

So what you are saying is that LDC are doing this out of pure spite....nothing to do with anything other than pure hatred of the Albion and its supporters.

I find that very hard to believe

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
So what you are saying is that LDC are doing this out of pure spite....nothing to do with anything other than pure hatred of the Albion and its supporters.

I find that very hard to believe
It's not so much hatred, they just don't want the stadium and are prepared to do anything within their power to stop it. Why is that so hard to believe?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because I feel there must be more to it.

Why would elected Councillors put their reputations on the line, employ expensive barristers, go against their electorate, have meetings in secret, make themselves very unpopular with the national party if they didnt have some other agenda than purely and simply stopping a stadium being built that would have little or no impact on the good people of Lewes?

Is it that they have a fued going with B&H Authority?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
...Is it that they have a fued going with B&H Authority?
I think that might play a part. However I have heard, admittedy second hand, but from two different, independant sources that what I said above was true: i.e. string it out as long as possible and hope that, for whatever reason, we give up. Also their attitudes have become quite entrenched and now they would lose too much face by admitting they were wrong (Hi Marina!).

PS - Funny that we should choose "Sussex won't be druv!" as a (crap) slogan because really that should be LDC's motto! They've got the big local 'city', the government and thousands of fans against them - and still the stubborn little shits won't give way!

The best explanation I can come up with is this.

It's Falmer Parish Council who don't want the stadium. LDC are impressed by the extent to which Falmer Parish Council are prepared to dip into the pockets of Falmer residents and fund their opposition through council tax. In fact, they are SO impressed by this, that LDC feel under a moral obligation to support Falmer Parish Council.

In doing so, they have committed themselves to the long haul - but when they made this commitment they were completely unaware of the extent to which most people in the district took a different view.

We've ratcheted uo the campaign, but they STILL can't find a way to back down.

In other words, they are ignorant and stubborn - but that's mainly because they are politicians who have forgotten what it is like to be in touch with the people who elected them.

Time for them to go.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Note to self. Don't mess with Bracknell today - he's on a mission.

Some good debate on here though. I have always wondered why LDC put up such a fierce opposition. It certainly (in my mind) wouldn't have been out of morals.. perhaps they are sticking up for FPC or maybe, like Dave says, they don't like being told what to do by BHCC.. I'm not sure I believe either, unless of course its a mixture of the both?

Edd, you have a PM from me. :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As if to underline the point, there is another ignorant letter in Saturday's Argus - from the ubiquitous Mr Bishop of Woodingdean, and how his life will be a misery with a stadium at Falmer. He is clearly so concerned about the environment, he wants the people who live in Hangleton to suffer misery instead.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:
Far be it for me to criticise as so far the campaign has been brilliant, but I wasn't particularly impressed with that leaflet to be honest. When we're trying to get a clear message across, having the phrase "WE WUN'T BE DRUV" as the main title just had me wondering "well what the f does THAT mean then ?".

Archaic sussex dialect is all well and good, but when only a handful of people in the county have ever heard of it (and there was no explanation as to its meaning - you had to buy a match programme to find a definition of it tucked away somewhere), I can't help feeling it was a bit too smarty-pants for its own good.

To be fair Easy, given that you spend 23 hours a day under the Palace Pier offering sexual favours to sailors, it is hightly unlikely that you would be familiar with that phrase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here