Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pele or Messi ?

Who was the greatest ever ?

• Total voters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was only 9 when Pele played in that greatest of teams in 1970 so it is so difficult to compare because there was not the footage around in those days like now.
So I,ll plump for Brian Horton.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An age old, great question, and nobody knows. The game has changed, as have opponents each faced. 3 of the best though, no doubt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To say "not even close" is ridiculous.

It's not though is it? Compare their opposition, then also compare their individual technical ability.

I don't think it's fair to compare across that many generations, as football is light years away from the sport of the same name is the 60s/70s.

D

Deleted member 18477

Mardonna.
Messi.
Then Pele.

And no Pele you prat, Neymar is not better than Messi.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
So where would that young palace superstar fit into this discussion? He is worth at least a billion pounds you know?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Pele won just the 3 world cups out of the 4 finals he played in (granted he was injured for much of '62), scoring 3 goals in the 2 world cup finals he played in, scoring just the 77 goals in just 92 international appearances. He was not yet 18 when he scored a brace in the '58 final. At club level just the 589 goals in 605 appearances.

He lit up crowds, and changed the shape of forward play forever. He was a complete athlete, heading, shooting, dropping into midfield, taking someone on, speed, strength, balance. If you stuck Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff into a human blending machine, the result would be Pele.
And he did all that despite the fact that defenders had carte blanche to try and break his legs whenever he had the ball. These days the rules and refs protect the likes of Messi and Ronaldo from the sort of brutal treatment that Pele had to put up with. Messi is a great player certainly but my vote is for Pele

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
And he did all that despite the fact that defenders had carte blanche to try and break his legs whenever he had the ball. These days the rules and refs protect the likes of Messi and Ronaldo from the sort of brutal treatment that Pele had to put up with. Messi is a great player certainly but my vote is for Pele

I've played county football and I've played Sunday league. I found it a lot easier playing against people trying to break my legs than I did against solid, skilful defenders.

I'm not saying this is comparable completely. But, technically gifted defenders are a lot harder to play against. Who would you rather face, someone technically complete like Rio Ferdinand (in his day) whose positioning, timing and tackling is spot on (proven by his lack of fouls and almost non-existent disciplinary record (excluding the drugs ban)) or someone that will just go to ground all the time with studs up? Most players with pace and skill can out manoeuvre a lump of a defender, it's harder to shrug off a good defender.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I was fortunate enough to be present at the Argentina Brazil game this Saturday in New Jersey. I know it was only a friendly but with that brilliant hat trick it has to be Messi. Even the Brazilian fans were applauding that third goal

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Seeing as the question is "who was the greatest ever?", why is Messi even an option?

He's 24 years old with another 8 or more years left in him - judge him when his career is finished. Even then it's all guesswork as the game then & now is chalk & cheese....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here