Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pele or Messi ?

Who was the greatest ever ?

• Total voters

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Maradona almost singlehandedly won the Scudetta with Napoli and the World Cup in 1986, which is an incredible achievement.

Pele was a supreme goalscorer, but not as much of a team player as some of the others.

Would not put the Kaiser or Cruyff as high as the others, and as for Best, that's plain bonkers.

Sorry but I could not disagree more with your comment that Pele was not as much of a team player. He could do it all, including bringing his team mates into the game. I know its only 2 examples but how about the jairzinho goal v England and the carlos Alberto goal in the final, both from the 70 world cup? For me, Pele was the greatest player and was an integral part of the greatest team ever, the 70 world cup winning team. I would put Maradona slightly behind him, agreeing that he virtually won the world cup on his own in 86. The rest don't come close. Give Messi another 3 or 4 years and real success with Argentina and he might challenge Cruyff for a distant third behind Pele and Maradona.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
Hard for me to say, being 30, I never really saw anything of the Pele or Maradona. Messi is genius though, and to do what he does now where there's a lot more emphasis on tactics compared to back in the day. Plus, Messi isn't scoring his goals in Brazil where Pele did a lot of his.

I would have to say:

1. Maradona
2. Messi
3. Pele

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

me personally would have to say

3 Messi

2 Pele

1 Vicente

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Maradona, hate him or despise him, won the World Cup in 86 in a fairly ordinary Argentinian team. His second goal against England and his two goals against Belgium in the semi were outstanding.

Until Messi does something of note at a World Cup, he can't compare.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
to be frank I'd prefer to listen to people who actually saw him play
and have knowledge of the era , than someone who has used google and watched the odd bit of grainy footage.

Then hear it from a Fulham player at the time....
The nearest thing to Johnny Haynes I've seen

We are discussing the quality of players, not their reputations as legends.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You cannot compare the two, they played in different generations of football - 70's football is very much different from football today

I bet you're fun down the pub.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Maradona by far.

He literally won the world cup on his own. Same goes for the scudetto with Napoli.

His second goal against England was amazing.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Yes, absolutely conclusive evidence, the "fulham player at the time " was someone the poster claimed had coached them how many years ago ? Basically a bit of hearsay, the cyber equivalent of grainy, flickering poor quality black and white footage, I'm not bothered enough for you to have to do any more frantic googling, lets just leave it eh ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, absolutely conclusive evidence, the "fulham player at the time " was someone the poster claimed had coached them how many years ago ? Basically a bit of hearsay, the cyber equivalent of grainy, flickering poor quality black and white footage, I'm not bothered enough for you to have to do any more frantic googling, lets just leave it eh ?

Nothing frantic. The whole period of football in the 1940s and 1950s is highly fascinating, and worthy of investigation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Impossible to compare. Football now is an entirely different sport to in Pele's day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maradona by far.

He literally won the world cup on his own. Same goes for the scudetto with Napoli.

His second goal against England was amazing.

Hate to be mega pedantic but it was an own goal, after a phenomenal Kinkladze-esque run.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Hate to be mega pedantic but it was an own goal, after a phenomenal Kinkladze-esque run.

This. Definitely an OG. Same for one of Van Basten's in the 'hat-trick' against England...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

This is the same Johhny Haynes who was the first £100 per week footballer and who Jack Bertolini an unknown footballer for us stopped from having a kick of the ball in the game at The Goldstone on Boxing Day 1958. Mind he was good player but then so was Haynes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've always thought it looked like it was, never realised it definitely was until now.

One of those crappy talking heads programmes discussed it, and the defender in question admitted it was he that put the ball in the net.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My father, who has sufficient knowledge of both and watches Messi on tv a lot, says Messi no contest. Mind you, he also thinks the Tory party are preferable to Labour so please apply appropriate caution to his opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here