Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Must be honest, I’m delighted I was never fully on the Potter train now.
I was never on the Potter train ever and got a ton of sh1te for it. Palace, deluded, wind up , troll etc. I was having my opinion he was and still is riding his luck. Good riddance.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Disagree with that as I doubt Caicedo would join CFC direct as he would probably not get the chance, join us we will develop you and if you're good enough you can move on providing at the right price.

Personally I think CFC realised they lost the plot paying £97m for a useless forward and £60m for an unproven at a top team defender
I think what has put a lot of clubs off of signing players like Caicedo is the complicated player ownerships setups South American players often have. This is what stopped Man Utd signing him when he was on trial there. You've got to think if he was on the Man Utd radar he'd have been on most of the top 6 clubs radar at that time.

With Chelsea getting Winstanley they'd be singing someone with a lot of experience in those markets which may mean they aren't so put off that market any longer which could mean we will be dipping into the same pool for development players which makes it harder for us to recruit them in the future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The only surprise to me is that it has taken until this season. Saudis first, Yanks second. It was always going to be like this. Just waiting for the inevitable Brentford pillage to come too. It is business. Identify talent, pay for it. We do the same but from a lower reputation pool.
I don't recall us ever, within the space of a few weeks *mid-season* stripping a smaller club of their manager PLUS their entire backroom team, PLUS their recruitment team.

You'd have to remind me when that happened.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was all happy to begrudgingly clap Potter as he’s been the best manager we’ve had. But Bruno and Roberts tested me - this has finally made it clear they deserve a shit reception booooooo

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was never on the Potter train ever and got a ton of sh1te for it. Palace, deluded, wind up , troll etc. I was having my opinion he was and still is riding his luck. Good riddance.

And you’ve already turned on the new manager on another thread :facepalm:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I doubt it. A new owner without much football knowledge has just said “they’ve been doing brilliant, let’s hire all their staff”
It’s been mentioned before that Potter was going to be involved in the discussions about who to approach for the DOF role. So if they are appointing Winstanley it looks like they’ve sounded GP out for his view and this is very much on him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't recall us ever, within the space of a few weeks *mid-season* stripping a smaller club of their manager PLUS their entire backroom team, PLUS their recruitment team.

You'd have to remind me when that happened.
I’d imagine had Di Zerbi and his 6 staff or whoever had come with him been at a smaller club and Bloom wanted them - we’d have done the same.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s been mentioned before that Potter was going to be involved in the discussions about who to approach for the DOF role. So if they are appointing Winstanley it looks like they’ve sounded GP out for his view and this is very much on him.
Or PW sounded out Potter after being leapfrogged by David Weir for our DoF role ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
And to think he was precious about a few boos. When he returns I’d be more worried about rotten veg, coins and darts if I were him at this rate!!! Wouldn’t like to have a ST in the vicinity of the away bench this week…or bring a tin hat! ???:lolol:

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
And you’ve already turned on the new manager on another thread :facepalm:
Where. Do you mean saying it was the same as Potter having 51 shots on goal and not scoring. That had nothing to do with the new manager.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The last time one of the Top 6 asset-stripped another Prem club like this was when Liverpool rinsed Southampton for Van Dijk, Mane, Lallana, Lovren, Clyne in quick succession having already had form with Crouch, Lambert and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

And it's not just us that's being f*cked over by Chelsea. Southampton only recruited their Head of Recruitment Joe Shields from Man City in July (having lost Martyn Glover to Leicester) and now Chelsea have poached Shields from the Saints after just 6 weeks. He's on gardening leave having had a tenure roughly equivalent to Liz Truss as PM.

Saints managed 4 consecutive seasons in the top 8 before the asset-stripping took its toll and in the last 5 seasons they haven't finished in the top half, averaging 15th spot.

I think the prospect of being asset-stripped in this way - season after season - is almost worse than being a yo-yo team between the Prem and the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here