Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul made a concerning remark on the radio

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
That is not actually what I said.

As for Leeds and Norwich, as I said in commentary Leeds were streets ahead of Norwich, and we played better on Saturday than we did tonight.

As for commentary, I do this as a favour to BBC Sussex, I don't get paid and (much as some would love) I am not going to sit there and slaughter players who NSC think deserve to be slaughtered. Graeme Smith wasn't great tonight, but neither were several others.

For me, and quite peversely for team which let in 4, Adam El-Abd, Tommy Elphick, Liam Dickinson and Andrew Crofts were the only players who gave above average performances. (Those knocking El-Abd should note not one goal came down the left side in open play).

PS - I haven't ignored your stewarding questions, I am awaiting a response from someone else at the club!
Top post from a top man

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Paul Camillin - Seems like a nice enough guy and we are VERY lucky to have the 'Ask The Club' sub forum which I know he spends a lot of his own time comitting to, however his performances on the radio are beginning to get on my tits. He has no impartiality at all which is not on, if for exampe El-Abd, Dickinson, Forster, Bennett have a shit game then I want to know. If Smith is out of position for the goal then say it, not that Holt f***ed it up.

I know its not his fault per se, because he is Albion through and through and I would likely be the same but for someone listening on the radio it is cack!

End of rant.. Up the Albion!

Absolutely correct.:nono::down:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No disrespcet to Paul but we need someone who can give a more impartial view of the performance and the players. Byrne does this to a certain extent but Paul is paid by BHAFC so he's hardly going to criticise anyone is he. Its not his fault and I admire his optimism and loyalty but he is not the right man for an objective viewpoint.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
A thread dissing one of the finest ever Gulls Eye sellers, how very dare you......

Seriously Paul does a great job, sometimes in difficult circumstances, whatever is said can be twisted by various parties, I remember at Bury once Hawesy and I talking on air about unsued squad player Matt Wicks tucking into some sandwiches in the press lounge at half time. His Dad heard it phoned him up and at full time he came and had a pop at Hawesy for saying he had some kind of eating disorder. (Hawesy would have had him though, but I held him back)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Harty you need to come out of retirement mate.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Was I the only one that thought Dickinson was rubbish? Missed a good chance in the first half, and srolled around like none of the goals were his fault. He kept going down injured like he WANTED to be subbed. Lack of effort from him, but by no means the worst player on the pitch.

El Abd is targetted by EVERY team we play, all their play comes down our left side because El Abd is incapable of playing left back (my favourite bit when he dribboled the ball straight off the pitch).

We then WASTE Bennett by putting him infront of El Abd to double up on the winger, meaning Bennett never gets forward. When Bennett switched with McLeod he looked good running at the Norwich full back, but then could never deliver a cross (or corner for that matter)

Oh and as for saying they were better than us (Leeds and Norwich) I HATE that. As Dave said this is division THREE. We should not go into ANY game expecting to get nothing - what is the point in turning up? A 350 mile round trip on a cold Tuesday night and I expect to lose (f*** off please)

We beat Man City, gave a good account of ourselves against Derby last year, and that was with the flid meister general in charge. What are we scared of?

rant over x x

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Oh and as for saying they were better than us (Leeds and Norwich) I HATE that. As Dave said this is division THREE. We should not go into ANY game expecting to get nothing - what is the point in turning up?

No, we shouldn't go into any game expecting nothing.

But, yes, they are better than us. Occasionally we will do well against a superior team but, generally, we won't. Our current team is, in my opinion, somewhat inferior to a quite a few in our division so whilst not expecting to lose, a defeat is no surprise.

We are however, superior to others...and we have been beaten by some of these...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No disrespcet to Paul but we need someone who can give a more impartial view of the performance and the players. Byrne does this to a certain extent but Paul is paid by BHAFC so he's hardly going to criticise anyone is he. Its not his fault and I admire his optimism and loyalty but he is not the right man for an objective viewpoint.
Indeed. Paul can hardly come out and say in NSC fashion "Bloody hell this lot are hopeless!", even if he thinks it, because it would be completely the wrong thing for the club's Press Officer to say.

Also players can have fragile egos. A few seasons ago I remember Ferret (who isn't even a club employee) said something that could be construed as being mildly critical - and then he had to grovel and backtrack because the players took offence.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
El Abd is targetted by EVERY team we play, all their play comes down our left side because El Abd is incapable of playing left back

& Thats why El-Abd is targetted, He's not a left back Any team with a centre back playing out of position at full back is going to have that area targetted.If the opposition manager dosn't see that as a weakness he's not doing his job. It's not a question of the oppositons opinion of El-Abds ability - centre back playing at left back = obvious weak point.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
35 goals conceded in 18 games (39 in 19 if you count the Cup). Only Tranmere have conceded more. That is absolutely SHOCKING.
Chequebook time in January. We urgently need a big, ugly, experienced centreback, a leftback, and probably another goalie.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
35 goals conceded in 18 games (39 in 19 if you count the Cup). Only Tranmere have conceded more. That is absolutely SHOCKING.
Chequebook time in January. We urgently need a big, ugly, experienced centreback, a leftback, and probably another goalie.

and a right back as Whing is not good enough.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Didn't we have one called Guy Butters?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That co commentator was so so biased, can understand it but he really did see things through rose tinted. I switched to commentary from Norwich in the end. Who is the new commentator ? not great is it

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
No, we shouldn't go into any game expecting nothing.

But, yes, they are better than us. Occasionally we will do well against a superior team but, generally, we won't. Our current team is, in my opinion, somewhat inferior to a quite a few in our division so whilst not expecting to lose, a defeat is no surprise.

We are however, superior to others...and we have been beaten by some of these...

I guess my problem is not the defeat as such, but the way we are beaten. We are suicidal at the back. Teams (good or bad) dont even have to try and they score against us. Good shots go in, mis kicks go in, crosses go in, comedy own goals go in.

We are just RUBBISH. One good game against Southampton doesnt change this. We are 19th in the 3rd division, and luck not to be any lower

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
and a right back as Whing is not good enough.
Whing is certainly good enough for this league, as he has proven. He's just back from injury so he might be playing catch-up a bit, but he'll get better as he gets games under his belt.

Didn't we have one called Guy Butters?

We really need a Butters/Morgan type player to come in and shore things up.
Someone south of 40 ideally though.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I guess my problem is not the defeat as such, but the way we are beaten. We are suicidal at the back. Teams (good or bad) dont even have to try and they score against us. Good shots go in, mis kicks go in, crosses go in, comedy own goals go in.

Spot on Brett, and the exact point I was making! I can take defeats, they happen in football to every team, but the manner last night was irritating. The defence as a unit (and others elsewhere) were poor last night, and not for the first time, but El-Abd and Elphick (I thought) were above average, not great, just above average.

As I said on air, it is the same old demons that have haunted this season (and much of last). Taking the season as a whole you can't single out individuals because all our defenders have made mistakes through the season. And as I said in summary (echoing the EOG Wycombe comments) I think we need an experienced central defender in there to organise those around them. The trouble is that experienced central defenders aren't sitting in their cars waiting to drive down the M23 and play for the Albion on loan. I would hope that is a priority for the January window.

I agree the commentary would be much better with an impartial summariser, which is why I have been pushing Guy Butters and Kerry Mayo for the away games since the end of last season (although Butts might be more useful on the pitch).

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We really need a Butters/Morgan type player to come in and shore things up.
Someone south of 40 ideally though.
I think most of us would agree with you there. And with the addition of a fit McNulty, I reckon we'll look like a completely different team.

There are a few exceptions I guess, but you don't win soccerball matches with a shit defence.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Harty you need to come out of retirement mate.

More chance of the Beatles re-forming.

Enjoying retirement, as is Mrs H, looking forward to an FA Cup cracker with hospitality this Sat, still excellent deals available from the club, with Mr Richard Tiltman for company.

It don't get any better than that..........:thumbsup:

Other than a thumping Albion win

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Oh and as for saying they were better than us (Leeds and Norwich) I HATE that. As Dave said this is division THREE. We should not go into ANY game expecting to get nothing - what is the point in turning up? A 350 mile round trip on a cold Tuesday night and I expect to lose (f*** off please)

Sorry, but in every interview post and pre match Poyet and Tarrico talked about how they would attempt and how they changed the team to try and WIN the game. It is the fan's mentality and lack of winning mentality in the players that hurt us against some of the bigger, well against most sides. And again, I believe that that is something Poyet talked about trying to change in one of his interviews, the manner of our mentality when we go behind and when we play teams in general..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here