Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul made a concerning remark on the radio

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
No disrespcet to Paul but we need someone who can give a more impartial view of the performance and the players. Byrne does this to a certain extent but Paul is paid by BHAFC so he's hardly going to criticise anyone is he. Its not his fault and I admire his optimism and loyalty but he is not the right man for an objective viewpoint.

I think the current commentator is fairly impartial. Most of the co-commentators are relatively Albion biased.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Give Paul a ruddy break.

I doubt any single person on here, if given the chance, would be impartial.

Also, its a local radio show - I want Brighton bias!

Paul does a good job and it never hurts to have a little bit of perspective concerning where we are and the quality of the opposition. I for one certainly did not expect us to get anything from either Leeds or Norwich.

And as for the people who went and are bleating on about not expecting to lose to anyone in this division, I think they need a reality check. Do Hull fans go to Old Trafford expecting to beat Man Utd?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Give Paul a ruddy break.

I doubt any single person on here, if given the chance, would be impartial.

Also, its a local radio show - I want Brighton bias!

Paul does a good job and it never hurts to have a little bit of perspective concerning where we are and the quality of the opposition. I for one certainly did not expect us to get anything from either Leeds or Norwich.

And as for the people who went and are bleating on about not expecting to lose to anyone in this division, I think they need a reality check. Do Hull fans go to Old Trafford expecting to beat Man Utd?

how will we ever get promoted from this division with the attitude of " I did not expect us to beat either of those teams " :shrug:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
how will we ever get promoted from this division with the attitude of " I did not expect us to beat either of those teams " :shrug:

Do you HONESTLY think we have a shot of promotion this season?

Also, some of my greatest experiences as an Albion fan have been winning away games I didn't think we ever had a shot at winning.

We are a bottom six team at the moment. We can't expect to be taking too many points of the top four or five. Im sorry, but that is just the reality of the situation.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do you expect this to be the same next season. A bottom 6 side ?.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No. But this season is all about survival, stabilising and building.

Of course we all WANT to beat the top teams, but we should certainly not expect to.

Some Brighton fans need a reality check.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
No one expects us to be a bottom six side next year. GP has had very little time to work with the team in training and it is unfortunate that we are meeting the best 4 teams in a row. No one in the Premier Leage ever expects to beat the "big four" and when Arsenal lost at Sunderland it was as big a shock as Albion winning at Southampton.

At the moment we are what we are.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The 'problem' with this is how we played against Southampton, a match which proved we are capable of some excellent football that would see off most teams in this league. That display alone means we shouldn't go into any match writing off the prospect of any points.

Obviously for that to happen the defence have to turn up for work. It's already looking a bit like they put in a bit extra for the Sky game under a new manager, and I'm sure Gus is making that point to them. Put it in every game, you never know what you might get.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The reality check for me is that we have a £ 90 000 000 new 22500 stadium going up at an alarming rate that needs 12000 fans to break even. THAT is the reality check Richie and all this talk of " Brighton fans need a reality check " for dreaming to beat another THIRD division ( not premiership ) THIRD division team is very worrying.

Its not moved on from Adams last season saying " We were playing LEEDS UNITED ! " who had lost 10 games already and were 9th in the league.

The bean counters will not have your viewpoint Richie that we should be apologetic of daring to get out of the third division.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My view is realistic.

The squad we have, the amount of time Poyet has had with the team, the rate in which these four very tough fixtures have come WITH a cup replay, our league position ALL point toward the fact we should not expect to win away to Norwich.

I am not saying we should not 'dare' to get promoted, as I suspect you know full well.

But, Rome was not built in a day. We will NOT go up this season and we do not have a divine right to suddenly not be a below average team and suddently start tanking those at the top.

Next season, we should be looking to compete at the top. This season, well, we are just not there yet.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is a reason why Leeds United and Norwich City are in the THIRD division and that is THEY ARE NOT VERY GOOD football teams. So lets f***ing raise the bar a bit and not just assume we should roll over and die against a fellow THIRD division team FFS !.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My view is realistic.

The squad we have, the amount of time Poyet has had with the time, the rate in which these four very tough fixtures have come WITH a cup replay, our league position ALL point toward the fact we should not expect to win away to Norwich.

Well if thats your attitude there really is no hope is there. This is the attitude McGhee was supposed to have against Stoke when we were ALREADY down and got flamed for it. Why bother going to Norwich ?. Why not give the game to them and save on the travel expenses ?.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is a reason why Leeds United and Norwich City are in the THIRD division and that is THEY ARE NOT VERY GOOD football teams. So lets f***ing raise the bar a bit and not just assume we should roll over and die against a fellow THIRD division team FFS !.

It is all context though isn't it?

Leeds and Norwich may be third division teams but they are the BEST third division teams. We are a below average third division team.

Every division does not suddenly become a level playing field just because it isn't the premiership.

As I said before, Hull City are a premiership side but do you think their fans expect to go to Man Utd and win? Of couse not.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well if thats your attitude there really is no hope is there. This is the attitude McGhee was supposed to have against Stoke when we were ALREADY down and got flamed for it. Why bother going to Norwich ?. Why not give the game to them and save on the travel expenses ?.

Because we MIGHT win. We might play out of our skin. They might have an off day.

I am not saying we should not try our best etc and HOPE for a win. But to expect one is just naive.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I assume you have already given up on beating or even drawing against Charlton.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You sir are behaving like an idiot I am afraid and refusing to take someone else's point.

We all WANT to win. And yes, Brighton are, on our day, capable of beating top teams.

But, we have to be realistic.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The reality check for me is that we have a £ 90 000 000 new 22500 stadium going up at an alarming rate that needs 12000 fans to break even.

I thought the 12000 fans to break even figure was based on borrowing large sums of money from banks to fund the stadium? Surely now Tony Bloom is funding the stadium on an interest free basis the break even crowd figure will be a lot less?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
f*** being realistic. BELIEVE. I also think a lot of Hull fans go to Man Utd expecting a win.

I remember in 1983 when bottom of the league we went to top of the league Liverpool who were unbeaten at Anfield in 50 odd games for the FA Cup 5th round. NO ONE gave us a hope in hell. We were 20/1 to win.

One of the club employees came along the train carriage whipping people up " do you expect us to win ? ", " we WILL WIN, we can do it " he said. The carriage erupted.

We all BELIEVED.

The rest is history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here