Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pat Saward's Brighton - please describe the players!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Fascinating thread - most of these players were just before my time, except Sully and Piper. I remember Piper not as a defender but as a useful but unremarkable midfielder during the Taylor/Mullery years. Quite often a sub in those days.

I'm disappointed that no-one has mentioned the "Goodwin for England" banner that appeared on the East Terrace in the latter stages of the 1971-72 season.

After a few iffy results had threatened to derail the promotion bid, Pat Saward reshaped the team for the televised home game against Villa, dropping Henderson and John Napier, moving Bert Murray from the right wing to right back and giving Goodwin only his second start of the season - not as a defensive midfield player as he had previously been known, but in central defence.

He was a revelation and became a bit of a cult at Hove Grammar, where the banner was produced.

Didn't the banner end up being left in the Stadium pub, after the Rochdale game maybe?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Fascinating thread - most of these players were just before my time, except Sully and Piper. I remember Piper not as a defender but as a useful but unremarkable midfielder during the Taylor/Mullery years. Quite often a sub in those days.

Me too - starting watching on a regular basis 74/5.

I rememer Piper as an excellent midfield player, somewhat of an unsung hero in the Mullery Glory Years.

Someone earlier on this thread compared him to Dean Hammond - pretty fair comparison IMO. Great player, but could go missing.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Kit Napier - the best forward I ever saw play for the Albion.Naturally curly hair that varied considerably in length and some very odd attempts at facial hair over the years made him unrecognisable from one season to the next and I always remember that he had the most nicotine stained hands I have ever seen in a professional sportsman - he had a fag in hand when he went into the players entrance and he had a fag on the go when he came out after the game. Never failed to score goals no matter who he played alongside and although naturally an inside forward he could play on the wing just as effectively.. Charismatic. Sometimes looked lazy but he was deceptively quick. Scored from the touch line under the west stand a few times. Scored from both corners direct. Good right foot but could use his left almost as effectively and although he was quite lean he could put himself about and could get his head to the ball in a melee. That goal where the keeper thought it was a free kick wasn't untypical. He was very sharp and his quick thinking and quick feet got him ahead of defenders and helped him ou-tthink goalkeepers time and again.Another one who "fell out" and moved too soon

I agree with this 100%. Still the best all-round forward to grace the Albion and that includes Wardy and Zamora!
My abiding memory is of a league cup game against Portsmouth (who were a division above us at the time) in I think 1968? (Alex Dawson scored the winner). Anyway deep in the second half Kit received the ball in our half and ran at pace down the centre of the pitch. About 40 yards from goal the Pompey full back Eion Hand tried to stop him and literally ripped the shirt off Kit's back. But Kit did not go down. With the shirt flapping like a yacht sail he continued before ripping an amazing shot against the bar! Immortal!
Just looked it up: 13 August 1969 League Cup

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My abiding memory is of a league cup game against Portsmouth (who were a division above us at the time) in I think 1968? (Alex Dawson scored the winner). Anyway deep in the second half Kit received the ball in our half and ran at pace down the centre of the pitch. About 40 yards from goal the Pompey full back Eion Hand tried to stop him and literally ripped the shirt off Kit's back. But Kit did not go down. With the shirt flapping like a yacht sail he continued before ripping an amazing shot against the bar! Immortal!

Incredible - wish I'd seen that... shame he didn't score!

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Great thread... worrying how few names I remember. The first one is Eddie Spearitt - Great long throw but lousy penalty taker (well actually that's based upon one penalty in the first game I ever saw).
Tony Towner was a great winger who would run at defenders but lacked the finishing touch in front of goal.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Moving on to Defenders... (although feel free to comment on keepers if you have any more insights!)

Stewart Henderson
John Templeman (+midfield)
Alex Sheridan
John Napier
Norman Gall
Ian Goodwin (+midfield)
Eddie Spearritt (+midfield)
George Ley
Steve Piper
John Moore (loan signing from Luton)
Mick Brown
Graham Howell

What were these players like?

I remember Eddie Spearitt taking a penalty at the south stand end and it landed on the south stand roof, have to say also I was a big fan of Stewart Henderson and John Napier

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Me too - starting watching on a regular basis 74/5.

I rememer Piper as an excellent midfield player, somewhat of an unsung hero in the Mullery Glory Years.

Someone earlier on this thread compared him to Dean Hammond - pretty fair comparison IMO. Great player, but could go missing.

Steve Piper scored the 2 goals at Sunderland to put us top of the old Second Division for the very first time in 1977.
He first came in the team as a centre half. In the home Chelsea FA cup tie in the early 70's, he didn't let the great Peter Osgood have a kick.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Moving on to Defenders... (although feel free to comment on keepers if you have any more insights!)

Stewart Henderson
John Templeman (+midfield)
Alex Sheridan
John Napier
Norman Gall
Ian Goodwin (+midfield)
Eddie Spearritt (+midfield)
George Ley
Steve Piper
John Moore (loan signing from Luton)
Mick Brown
Graham Howell

What were these players like?

Great thread this -well done thread starter! 71-72 was the seaso0n when I saw more Albion matches than any other season (was at uni in Liverpool, so saw quite a lot of away matches, and often hitch-hiked down to Brighton for home matches too - you could do ythat in those days......and even get back after evening matches!)

Stewart Henderson - decent full-back who lost his place when Saward did his big shake up for the Villa match (the one where Templeman and Irvine (with a bit of help from Bromley) scorerd the best goal I've ever seen at the Goldstone........did he ever play for us again after that?

John Templeman - only remember him as a midfielder - blonde-haired, local lad, one of our own - rampaging midfielder. Probably my first real Albion hero (him or Bill Currie)

Alex Sheridan - don't remember him as much more than a bit player (sorry Alex!)

John Napier - another early hero - an Albion player who was also an international; also part of Saward's Aston Villa match cull.

Norman Gall - the ultimate devotee of horse linament (his thighs would twinkle under floodli9ghts!) - Mr. Reliable.

Ian Goodwin - known as Wedgie, because he sort of chipped the ball with the inside of his foot.....replaced John Napier in the Aston Villa match change round of the defence. Career cut short by injury.

Eddie Spearritt - good left back. Don't remember him much in midfield, but there were times in the unsuccessful 1972-3 season when Saward was trying to stem the flow of defeats when he played three 'gritty, tough tackling fullbacks' in midfield in a 4-3-3, and Eddie may well have been one of them (it didn't work, unfortunately).

Big signing from Portsmouth - perhaps they knew what they were doing when they sold him. REALLY seriously hard left back. Got sent off................

Steve Piper - another local lad, I think. Never really made it.

John Moore, Mick Brown - don't remember.

Graham Howell - another of the 'gritty, hard tackling full-backs' that was bought to play in midfield in a 4-3-3 (and it still didn't work!)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think it was Wardy who scored those goals at Sunderland, who had their big money teenage sensation, Ally McCoist playing.

Anyway, back to the good old days.... Saward was pre-ceeded by Freddie Goodwin who took over from Archie Maccauley.

Archie signed some great talent in Powney, Henderson, Turner, Gall, the Napiers, Wilkinson, Lawton & Templeman, players who all had many games and served the club for years.

Goodwin had to save the team from relegation so brought in experince in Dawson, Sidebotton and Barrie Wright but also had an eye for the future in signing Spearritt and Duffy. Sadly, Goodwin was tempted away by the bright lights of Brum/

Saward did not seem to want to build on Goodwin's team and forwards Duffy & Dawson, prolific under Goodwin, were discarded. After a sticky start, and with virtually no money, Sayward introduced Sully, bought Murray & Irvine then Beamish, Bromley,Lutton & Goodwin.
Sadly, after his great team of 71/72, he discarded Henderson, Turner & the Napiers and irvine, beamish, bromley and others never re-captured their form. The season was a disaster although youngsters like Towner & Piper did well once introduced.

Saward worked tremendously hard, not just with the team but raising funds for players, he once collapsed from exhaustion during a game. He started off very defencive & dull but changed to build one of the most attacking and attractive teams ever, only to tear it up and self destruct.

He had a vision and there was a time in his 1st season when the programme ran a full page adver for Albion v Liverpool in Div 1 at the Goldstone, with the date ending as 197?. An impossible, almost laughable dream....except it came true!

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Right, here's a list of Midfielders...

Nobby Lawton
Bert Murray (+ defence in 1971/72)
Bobby Smith (II)
Terry Stanley
Dave Turner
Brian Bromley
Colin Dobson
Alan Boorn
John Boyle
Ronnie Howell

and Wingers
Howard Wilkinson
Peter O'Sullivan
Mick Conway
Tony Towner

Nobby Lawton - drafted into the Busby Babes (along with Alex Dawson) after Munich great player for us. Lots of skill and guile in Midfield, and could stick a foot in with the best of them. Old school, maybe, byr hety, what the hell!

Bert Murray - only remember him at full-back for us.

Bobby Smith and Terry Stanley - never really featured. Smith was a useful utility player.

Dave Turner - in old fashioned speak, he was a left half. Strong, loved going forwars, great5 player for us.

Brian Bromley - sometimes under-rated - was possibly our best player in 71-72 - midfield maestro - always had time and space and a great passer.

Colin Dobson, Alan Boorn, John Boyle - bit parts.

Ronnie Howell see previous post - brought in as a 'gritty, tough tackling full-back' to shore up the midfield.

Howard Wilkinson - Mostly pre-Saward, I think - best remebered for his look of sheer determination and concentration when going down the right wing.

Peter O'Sullivan - one of Albion's finest!

Mick Conway - saw his debut (as a striker) in 1972-3 - looked really good, but never quite made it,

Tony Towner - another of my all-time favourites. Saw his debut (same gane as Mick Conway's) - lovely tricky winner. We should have kept faith with him. Later became an excellent centre midfield for Millweall (who I think were at a higher level than we were at that time).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And finally....
Forwards
Alan Duffy
Allan Gilliver
Willie Irvine
Kit Napier
Colin Woffinden
Paul Flood
Ken Beamish
Bertie Lutton
Barry Bridges
Pat Hilton (+midfield)
Lammie Robertson (+midfield)
Dave Busby

What were these players like? Anyone remember? :)

Alan Duffy - hairy, fast, barn door.

Allan Gilliver - pretty much pre-Saward, Tall, good in the air.

Willie Irvine - class act - one of our best ever strikers. Think: goal against Villa..............

Kit Napier - a great Albion favourite, but not one of mine. Sort of a Peter Crouch, but shorter, with a funny beard.

Colin Woffinden; Paul Flood - enough said.

Ken Beamish - now you're talking - being at Liverpool Uni, I saw h im playing against the Albion more than oncfe. Almost wet myself when we bought him for a record breaking £25.000. He was a good buy, too.

Bertie Lutton - the other player we bought for £25,000 (from Wolves) at about the same time (oh heady days!) Bargepole with not touch should have applied......useless.

Barry Bridges - ex Chelsea - wanted to earn a few more quid after he was past it.

Pat Hilton - promising youngster (see Mick Conway, Tony Towner); he never made it.

Lammie Robertson - see Bertie Lutton (though may not have come from Wolves).

Dave Busby - sorry Dave, but who?

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Tony Towner, if I remember rightly, made his debut in the match that broke our long losing run in the 2nd div. and was always a 100% for the Albion. Gave a great performance in the game at Spurs when we drew 0-0.

My dad was great friends with an Albion director, Keith Wickenden, at the time who arranged for me and my mate to get a lift on the team bus for an away match at Walsall. Naturally a very exciting day for a young lad!! Tony Towner was the new young starlet at the time and I will always remember him being the team clown keeping every one amused all the way to the game with many of the players and directors playing cards incessantly with a lot of cash changing hands. TT was a great player out wide. Small but very quick and skilful and a regular right through to the Mullery years. Hope this helps paint a picture. PS I think we lost 1-0 and it was pretty quiet on the way back!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
with reference to the sunderland game,wardy & steve piper both scored,my first trip to roker

Alex Sheridan - don't remember him as much more than a bit player (sorry Alex!)
Sorry. I missed this thread when it first appeared.

All I have to add is that, after leaving professional football, Alex Sheridan ended up working for East Sussex County Council in the Highways & Transportation Department, where he qualified as a Chartered Civil Engineer, before going to work in the highways construction industry. I knew him quite well during his time at ESCC. [The Albion A-Z incorrectly says he worked for West Sussex County Council].

He kept his football interest going by doing odd bits of club coaching and management, including a spell at Shoreham FC. I have a feeling he now lives in Oz.

He started his football as a Scottish schoolboy international.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I also missed this thread and to be fair is just before I started going.

Steve Piper - saw him under Taylor and Mullery. Just an average midfield player, workmanlike I think is probably a good description.

Dave Busby - I also think he was the first black player to play for the Albion. Given a free transfer by Clough. Lots of skill and energy - ended up in local football Worthing and Littlehampton.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Eddie Spearritt (+midfield) - Long blond curly hair - a good footballing wing back who could score goals and had a great eye for a pass - as near as we got at the time to being called "cultured". He won a competition for the longest throw in league football (the Rory Delap of his day)

)
stand to be corrected but didn't he make the final of the long throw competition but didn't win it. Think it was held at stamford bridge ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
And finally....
Forwards
Alan Duffy
Allan Gilliver
Willie Irvine
Kit Napier
Colin Woffinden
Paul Flood
Ken Beamish
Bertie Lutton
Barry Bridges
Pat Hilton (+midfield)
Lammie Robertson (+midfield)
Dave Busby

What were these players like? Anyone remember? :)

As someone has stated Dave Busby was Albions first black player. He went on to become a legend at Barrow and also at Hangleton reserves where I partnered him up front!! He lives in London and works for London transport I think. My brother still sees him so if you need any further details I can put you in touch

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I spent a lot of this time away working
while in Shrewsbury I watched the Albion there a few times and one that sticks in the memory is Eddie Spearitt scoring from a long way out (shot or cross who knows) but it sailed past a very young John Phillips who of coarse went on the play some games for the Albion.
Barry Bridges I saw him play what might have been the last game of the season at the Goldstone one year against QPR and he was head and shoulders above all the rest but from memory we lost that game but not due to his efforts.

we did have some great players then with some character little rotund Alan Duffy as the radio commentator called him came on in a game against Reading but he stopped the commentators sniggering when he scored the winning goal(?)
good days even if I could not get to home games I watch a good few away ones when they were nearby when I could get the time off work

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
My candidate for the worst keeper Brighton have had. Looked like a male model and played like one

Was on the groundstaff when Burns was there. He didnt train much. Didnt want to get hands dirty or get mud on his face...........fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here