Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pat Saward's Brighton - please describe the players!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Right, here's a list of Midfielders...

Nobby Lawton
Bert Murray (+ defence in 1971/72)
Bobby Smith (II)
Terry Stanley
Dave Turner
Brian Bromley
Colin Dobson
Alan Boorn
John Boyle
Ronnie Howell

and Wingers
Howard Wilkinson
Peter O'Sullivan
Mick Conway
Tony Towner

Again, I'd be fascinated in knowing what they were like as players.

(I suppose, one question that I think might be worth asking is, did O'Sullivan and Towner significantly change from when they were starting our for the Albion to the players they were under Mullery?)

Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread so far...
Brian Bromley..abiding memory of him was a goal of his into the south end...match we won 2/nil..cant remember against who

i remember watching yur namesake..enjoyed watching the man play football

Interesting to ponder on how the Bolton goalie would have faired physically in that challenge last weekend had the "Black Prince" been playing for Stoke. Dawson was a winger when Busby signed him for Man Utd in the 50's - difficult to believe eh?

I went to boarding school in Bath in the early 1970s where I was constantly taunted about 'own-goal Spearritt'! I have never heard of this reputation since, so I guess he must have conceded just two, with possibly not too many matches in between them.*

My Bristol Rovers supporting pal and I asked permission to miss a couple of lessons so we could go on the 'League Liner' special train down to the 2-8 debacle. I'm glad to say we were refused!

Wasn't Ian Goodwin also known as 'Reggie'?

I was expecting to see Alan Duffy in that list of midfielders as I don't remember him as an out-and-out striker. Maybe he was too slow to get into the box that often!

*For those who left school still unable to differentiate between the three words that are pronunced as '2', here they are, all used correctly in one paragraph. It's not difficult to learn.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Brian Bromley was a regular in the Hills betting shop at the top of Sackville Rd as were most of the players then and also used to drink in the Beacon Royal hotel bar in Oriental Place. The owner was a big Albion fan and I remember Brian buying me a coke there one night as well as being a good source of comp tickets, also the other abiding memory was his MASSIVE sideburns.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Knew I shouldn't have started on this! I've disappeared into my own little memory bubble :lol:

Nobby Lawton - we always had a knack of attracting some quality players - maybe it's the thought of living by the seaside that helps us to get them. But Nobby was an absolute star and a lovely man to boot.He was a star with Man Utd in the early 60's playing alongside Bobby Charlton before being re-invented as a winghalf and if he was past his pomp by the time he came to us he was still a celebrity and still had "it". I remember his knees were completely knackered - he would limp out of the players door under the old west stand after a game looking like he would never play again but by the next week he was fit and raring to go. He had no pace any more but he could still ghost past players and he" found space" before that became fashionable so that even in the most crowded game he was always available to receive a pass. Plus he had the full range of short and long passes himself. Silly the things you recall but I remember he looked "old fashioned" like someone out of a different era against some of our youngsters, but then I guess he was.

Bert Murray - the man the fans signed. Had a proper Jimmy Greaves look about him with a real cockiness on the pitch and an exaggerated dip of the shoulder to take him past the full back. More a winger although latterly I think he did cover at full back and maybe played there after he left us - I think he went to Posh? Not at his very best when he came to us but he was always going to be a hero. From memory he probably scored as many goals from the wing as you now expect to get from a striker - same position and a bit of the same style as Will Buckley but he was shorter. Liked to party and was very good at it if the stories at the time were true! We linked him back up with his former Chelsea and Birmingham pal Barry Bridges for a bit didn't we and I think it took even Brighton's clubs and pubs a while to recover!

Bobby Smith - one of my heroes for reasons I can't really explain! Not THE Bobby Smith but the ginger version. Never much more than a journeyman half back with a solid bustling style - what you would call a "genuine" player, reliable with a good tackle and no ambition to get too far forward, he was a player you could count on to do a job.What is it with remembering haircuts? He had a very smart coiffeur but really really ginger - he could never hide that is for sure! I think what I really liked was that he went on to be an excellent coach and manager with clubs like Bury, Swansea, Newport (LB will remember him from when they were in deep deep doo dah and he pretty much worked for them for nothing)

Terry Stanley - vaguely recall him as a reserve player. Was he local? Someone may remember

Dave Turner - tough tackling. Another player I really admired. A wing half/sometimes inside forward who could look after himself. He came from Newcastle a couple of years before Kit Napier and they both left us and went to Blackburn. Unsurprisingly I guess they seemed to be good mates off the pitch and had a great understanding on it. Strong tackling and a good pass, useful in the air too although not the tallest. Maybe liken him to Gary Dicker today?

Brian Bromley - came to us with a good reputation - I think from Portsmouth - but it didn't really work out for him. I don't know if it was injuries or form but he never really seemed to make a place in the side his own and my memory of him is that he was something of a disappointment.

Colin Dobson -played a few games on loan? I only really remember him because his name kept coming up as one of the first English managers of Arab clubs in the 80's/90's

Ronnie Howell - came and went. I seem to remember he scored a few goals and it was a surprise because he really wasn't very good?

Howard Wilkinson - has he ever admitted at any time in his subsequent relatively glittering career that he played for us? And he was good. Blonde hair, always smart, very quick and direct. Not a great goalscorer but he could skin a fullback for pace and put in a good cross. Helped us to promotion and no doubt he played a full part but he seems to have forgotten us since and that irks me somewhat - that and the fact that he was a bit superior and schoolmasterly even then! I remember him getting smashed in the face and his cheekbone caved in at the Goldstone but I can't for the life of me remember who it was against. He was out for a good time after that though

Peter O'Sullivan - the great; the legendary; the one and only; the best left winger ever in our entire history.....but he made a shaky start if I remember right coming to us with a bit of the billy big bollocks about him and took time to settle. Lightening fast on the wing in his early days and when his pace diminished he showed his true ability by dropping inside and pinging passes around for fun. Genuine quality! Hairstyle and facial hair changed more than a little over the years - very fashionable lad was our Sully! Only got a couple of international caps for Wales - madness! How he escaped recognition by other bigger clubs I don't know. Maybehe was just ultra-loyal or our managers had more sense than to let him go or maybe because he was a bit of a lad but I remember him jinking past a player knocking in a cross and then turning round and laughing. Was it the sheer joy of it or was it taking the mick? Don't recall but I know I loved him for it!

Tony Towner ah yes! The other local lad made good and maybe the best of them. Hunched shoulders and a bit of the Gladstone Small's about his neck, he could turn on the pace and his crossing of the ball was a joy. Became unrecognisable as his confidence grew and he bulked up a bit so he wasn't as easy to knock off the ball. Maybe didn't score as many as he might have - he preferred to stay wide. I remember when he went to Millwall I thought we had made a mistake and he later got his chance at the top with Wolves. One of the best right wings we ever had IMO

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Severnside gull, that is another magnificent post! Well done. In reading your insights, the players become real for me now.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And finally....
Forwards
Alan Duffy
Allan Gilliver
Willie Irvine
Kit Napier
Colin Woffinden
Paul Flood
Ken Beamish
Bertie Lutton
Barry Bridges
Pat Hilton (+midfield)
Lammie Robertson (+midfield)
Dave Busby

What were these players like? Anyone remember? :)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Copied straight from your posting so have not yet read any other contributions but well impressed that Severnside & I are much of the same opinion on the players so far!

Nobby Lawton - Right sided midfielder and captain, an experinced player having played for PNE in Cup Final (think he & Alex Dawson both scored). Rather strange shaped head, I seem to recall and he also scored a goal from our own half when the Shresbury keeper kicked a ball out and lawton returned it on the volley straight over the bemused keeper's head.
Bert Murray (+ defence in 1971/72) - a right winger with Brum (he once scored a hatrick v QPR) and he was the 'Peoples Player' haveing been bought with the £10k raised by supporters. When saward took drastic action to change the team late in 71/72, murray switched to right back (replacing Henderson) and made that spot his own.
Bobby Smith (II) - Sort of a 'jigsaw' player. nobody knew what he did or why he was there but, when he wasn't, it was very noticably. Made him a target for the moaners and his modern equivilent would be a Navs, Spaz or Dicker. more a thinker than a player, went into management.
Terry Stanley - local lad from Coldean, I still see his dad from time to time. Sadly never quite made it.
Dave Turner - Sometimes captain and a hard player, sometimes vying for the a centre half place with norman gall or playing as a defencive midfielder. Very popular, think we need a thread on him! No nonsense player.
Brian Bromley _ see recent thread following his sad death. Classy passer.
Colin Dobson -Ginger haired left sided player who we had on loan from Bristol Rovers and was looking really good before breaking his ankle.
Alan Boorn - Youth teamer who may an appearence or two, that's about it.
John Boyle - Experinced Chelsea bruiser who joined Albion to see out his career. Was he bothered?
Ronnie Howell - Another gingerish player. Don't remember him pulling up any trees apart from scoring a hattrick at the Valley in a remarkable 4-0 win.

and Wingers
Howard Wilkinson - Right winger who hugged the line, into the corner and good crosses. Studious type who made his mark in Management, probably the most successfull manager to ever play for Albion considering League title with leeds and caretaker England too.
Peter O'Sullivan - Albion legend. if he doesn't have his own thread then needs one. joined as a teen from man Utd, left winger but soon out of the team. Came back and, over the years, became a really classy left sided player and not out of his depth iin the top div. Always found time on the ball.
Mick Conway - One of the youngsters , like Towner & piper, thrown into the side when all hope seemed lost in our relegation season but their speed and flair gave us hope. left the Albion the following season when for players were involved in an 'out of hours' incident.
Tony Towner - local boy, very popular right winger and now living in coldean. A sad day when he fell out with mullers and went on to play for Millwall & Sheff utd.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And finally....
Forwards
Alan Duffy
Allan Gilliver
Willie Irvine
Kit Napier
Colin Woffinden
Paul Flood
Ken Beamish
Bertie Lutton
Barry Bridges
Pat Hilton (+midfield)
Lammie Robertson (+midfield)
Dave Busby

What were these players like? Anyone remember? :)

Kit Napier was my first Albion hero. Could play through the middle but liked to go wide if memory serves me right. Blessed with plenty of pace and skill he didn,t always get involved in the physical stuff like most strikers of that day.
I saw him score direct from corners on a couple of occasions with his in-swinger and was involved in one of the most bizarre goals I ever saw when Alan Stephenson (I think ) of Chesterfield ) took a knock whilst catching a high ball down the south stand goal and when he got to his feet he placed the ball on the deck to take what he thought was going to be a free kick. Kit Napier realising that there had been no whistle duly smacked the ballinto an empty net. Most of the Brighton fans expected an admonishing from the ref towards Kit but he just pointed to the centre circle and signalled the goal.
One of the best strikers to have played for us when in the 3rd tier with a wicked shot on him.
I can always remember a bloke who stood next to my dad and me in those days who always shouted, "don't forget you,re handbag Kit" whenever he went on one of his runs.
It was funny when you were 10.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm loving this!

Forwards
Alan Duffy - Once seen never forgotten. Joined when still quite young, loads of black hair and bushy sideboards to rival Bromleys! Not so tall but 'robust' might describe his style and, on his debut he picked up the ball and fair HAMMERED it in off the crossbar into the south goal. The fans loved him but I think he loved to party andgot rounder & rounder. Was bought by goodwin but was soon out of favour with Sayward. Wasted career.
Allan Gilliver - one of those ungamely forwards, gangly and hopeless at everything except scoring where he always seemed to be in the right place for the ball to bounce off him into the goal.
Willie Irvine - Classy centre forward. Came to us at end of his career and prooved an excellent buy, so much so that he regained his place back in the NI team and was involved in the only goal when they beat England at Wembly, a typical Albion corner move where he would flick on from near post.
Kit Napier - There's a long thread on him from about a year ago, and he even replied! Sheer class, totally two footed, could play left, right or centre and scored at least 3 times direct from corners and not all with same foot. had loads of tricks and the goal described by Questions, was one of my fave memories. One of my fav ever Albion players.
Colin Woffinden - locall lad, never made it but a long time in Sussex football.
Paul Flood - from Eire, softly spoken, started as left winger then to left back. Popular but injuries did for him. believe he still lives locally.
Ken Beamish - Big player for Tranmere and always scored against us. Good, direct, forward always worked hard and scored some great goals. not quite sure what went wrong. I think sayward fell out with many players after promotion.
Bertie Lutton - 1st on loan then permanent signing. up centre or right sided, scored some important goals but, as above and with the break up of the team, went on to play for West Ham in div 1.
Barry Bridges - I didn't like him Millwall legend and very fast. maybe it was being in a poor team that didn't help him and we certainly didn't see him at his best.
Pat Hilton (+midfield) - See Mick Conway above. talented but somehow it went wrong.
Lammie Robertson (+midfield) - had been a star at Halifax but had limited success in a poor team.
Dave Busby - think his only claim is 1st coloured player for Albion and only played a game or two. young, enthusiastic, that's all.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
It's amazing how everyone's opinions and memories of these players generally agree - and so do I. Partly it is because most served for at least several years and we got to see them consistently. In those footballers seemd far more grounded and could easily relate with the fans. Quite often after long distance away games we travelled back on the same service train as them. I think of the defenders listed, I succeeded in tapping up all of them except one for complimentary tickets at away grounds over the years. There was one time at Barrow where Nobby Lawton and Howard Wilkinson, both not playing, were stood outside the players entrance at 10 to 3 waiting for us to arrive to take the comps off their hands. The first train in from Brighton should have arrived just after 2 and was half an hour late, but they still did what we expected (gratefully) of them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm loving this!

Forwards
Alan Duffy - Once seen never forgotten. Joined when still quite young, loads of black hair and bushy sideboards to rival Bromleys! Not so tall but 'robust' might describe his style and, on his debut he picked up the ball and fair HAMMERED it in off the crossbar into the south goal. The fans loved him but I think he loved to party andgot rounder & rounder. Was bought by goodwin but was soon out of favour with Sayward. Wasted career.
Allan Gilliver - one of those ungamely forwards, gangly and hopeless at everything except scoring where he always seemed to be in the right place for the ball to bounce off him into the goal.
Willie Irvine - Classy centre forward. Came to us at end of his career and prooved an excellent buy, so much so that he regained his place back in the NI team and was involved in the only goal when they beat England at Wembly, a typical Albion corner move where he would flick on from near post.
Kit Napier - There's a long thread on him from about a year ago, and he even replied! Sheer class, totally two footed, could play left, right or centre and scored at least 3 times direct from corners and not all with same foot. had loads of tricks and the goal described by Questions, was one of my fave memories. One of my fav ever Albion players.
Colin Woffinden - locall lad, never made it but a long time in Sussex football.
Paul Flood - from Eire, softly spoken, started as left winger then to left back. Popular but injuries did for him. believe he still lives locally.
Ken Beamish - Big player for Tranmere and always scored against us. Good, direct, forward always worked hard and scored some great goals. not quite sure what went wrong. I think sayward fell out with many players after promotion.
Bertie Lutton - 1st on loan then permanent signing. up centre or right sided, scored some important goals but, as above and with the break up of the team, went on to play for West Ham in div 1.
Barry Bridges - I didn't like him Millwall legend and very fast. maybe it was being in a poor team that didn't help him and we certainly didn't see him at his best.
Pat Hilton (+midfield) - See Mick Conway above. talented but somehow it went wrong.
Lammie Robertson (+midfield) - had been a star at Halifax but had limited success in a poor team.
Dave Busby - think his only claim is 1st coloured player for Albion and only played a game or two. young, enthusiastic, that's all.

He was crap..nothing more than that

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Towner was a great winger. Duffy became the super sun, scored when he came on late in the game. O'sullivan had some real skill (certainly for the level of football we were playing at that time). Happy days

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
A few anecdotes.

John Napier and Howard Wilkinson scored two of the most spectacular own goals i have seen to this day. Napier at Bury, a 30-40 yard thunderbolt. Wilkinson at Mansfield with a bullet header from beyond the penalty spot. Field Mill was pakce dthat day as they were selling tickets for a cup tie versus west Ham the next week.

Willie Irvine once missed an away match at Wrexham because he had left his boots on the bus! The club used to hire a local bus to take them from hotel to ground to train, and the bus had disappeared back to the garage with his boots still on it. No mobile phones in those days.

Tony Towner achieved hero ststus at Rotherham after he left us as he laid on loads of goals for Ronnie Moore as they stormed to promotion.

Alan Duffy! Apparently (as I was at the game) he was described by Peter Jones in the BBC live commentary of the famous game against Reading as being "almost as wide as he is tall".

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Alan Duffy - love Freddie G's comments about his tendency towards being as round as he was tall and how true! More a midfielder than a forward because of his lack of height and while he had the skill and was probably technically as competent as anyone at the club it was pretty quickly apparent why Newcastle got rid of him. Certainly an unmissable figure with those bushy black sideburns and he was a character who found a lot of favour with the North Stand for a while but his obvious preference for Brighton's nightlife ahead of football soon lost him fans and his place in the side and he went to Tranmere. That first goal against Bradford will never be forgotten though

Allan Gilliver - We lost Eric Whitington and we gained Gilly a gangly, sometimes clumsy player who managed to score some goals by his timing and nuisance value but rarely evidently by his skill. The archetypical journeyman who never seemed to settle anywhere but managed to score a few wherever he went. Don't think he was missed when he moved back north

Willie Irvine a legend in his own lifetime - if only we had been good enough to have got him when he was in his prime. He had it all two good feet, head the ball- he could do anything. His pomp was at Burnley but he had taken a ferw kicks and suffered a couple of bad leg injuries I think and we took him on loan from Preston when Alan Ball went there and didn't fancy him. He scored a few goals towards the end of that season and joined us full time and had another excellent full season before leaving us. I think he called an end to his career not long after

Kit Napier - the best forward I ever saw play for the Albion.Naturally curly hair that varied considerably in length and some very odd attempts at facial hair over the years made him unrecognisable from one season to the next and I always remember that he had the most nicotine stained hands I have ever seen in a professional sportsman - he had a fag in hand when he went into the players entrance and he had a fag on the go when he came out after the game. Never failed to score goals no matter who he played alongside and although naturally an inside forward he could play on the wing just as effectively.. Charismatic. Sometimes looked lazy but he was deceptively quick. Scored from the touch line under the west stand a few times. Scored from both corners direct. Good right foot but could use his left almost as effectively and although he was quite lean he could put himself about and could get his head to the ball in a melee. That goal where the keeper thought it was a free kick wasn't untypical. He was very sharp and his quick thinking and quick feet got him ahead of defenders and helped him ou-tthink goalkeepers time and again.Another one who "fell out" and moved too soon

Paul Flood - so much promise. Smart looking and a neat and organised footballer with a turn of pace but he only had one good season then was injured and never really made it back
Ken Beamish - another Albion legend for those of a certain generation. He had always done so well against us for Tranmere and it was a real coup when we nicked him off them and he didn't let us down scoring consistently in our promotion season. Big broad shouldered lad - every inch a northern forward if you know what I mean! He struggled in Division 2 and then Clough sold him on to Blackburn. Not sure of his journeys after that but he managed Swindon for a while and I saw him at Blackburn maybe 15 years or so ago where he was commercial manager and looking after hospitality.

Bertie Lutton - a lovely lad - came to us from Wolves as an attacking midfield player and he had real ability but was prone to injuries I think. Memory says he played two seasons but I don't think that he played too many games to be honest and I think we did well to get a good fee for him when he went to West Ham.

Barry Bridges - past his best and as I mentioned talking about Bert Murray, rather more interested in the night life than the day job. It really didn't work out for him or for us. I remember when we signed THE Bobby Smith the sense of expectation and the exhileration that we had signed a real quality top flight player and on that one occassion (albeit briefly) it worked for us. The same should have been true of Bridges but I think that the frequency with which we had signed "past their best" stars was starting to take its toll on expectation and Bridges continued in that mould.

Pat Hilton - Came through the reserves, not the quickest but still a promising winger who didn't quite manage to claim a regular place and moved to Blackburn

Lammie Robertson - a name to make me smile. Lammie was a cracking player I thought but others disagree I see - an attacking midfielder who loved to rampage through the middle in support of the attack and got himself a few goals. Think he left when we got promotion

Last edited:

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Not much to add to all those fantastic memories - but here's a few! Dave Turner scored the equaliser in the FA Cup game against Chelsea after John Boyle ( later to play for us) was sent off. And Tiger Tawse, who could be very good on his day, had a goal disallowed for offside which to this day I'm sure was legitimate! The replay was watched by a then record away crowd for us. We lost 4-0 after Jim Oliver ( never the best striker) missed a good chance. Bertie Lutton's most important goal for us was the equaliser at Bournemouth in the last few minutes in 1972, virtually ruined their promotion chances after McDougall and Boyer had scored for fun all season. What about Charlie Livesey, who scored a lot of goals and was the subject of an Argus campaign to get him picked for England? And the time we scored 9 against Southend and 10 against Wisbech in the same month and then lost to Bedford!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm disappointed that no-one has mentioned the "Goodwin for England" banner that appeared on the East Terrace in the latter stages of the 1971-72 season.

After a few iffy results had threatened to derail the promotion bid, Pat Saward reshaped the team for the televised home game against Villa, dropping Henderson and John Napier, moving Bert Murray from the right wing to right back and giving Goodwin only his second start of the season - not as a defensive midfield player as he had previously been known, but in central defence.

He was a revelation and became a bit of a cult at Hove Grammar, where the banner was produced.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Just to balance the argument, whilst you remember more from your formative years, it was not certainly not always sweetness and light. I think the younger readers need to be aware of the equivalents of the latter day Peake/Farrington/Neal type of player - in terms of cost, expectation and actual ability.
I give you:
Ken Goodeve
Darren Hughes
George Waites

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just to balance the argument, whilst you remember more from your formative years, it was not certainly not always sweetness and light. I think the younger readers need to be aware of the equivalents of the latter day Peake/Farrington/Neal type of player - in terms of cost, expectation and actual ability.
I give you:
Ken Goodeve
Darren Hughes
George Waites

Darren Hughes - my least-favourite Albion player of all time, equal with Micky Thomas. Signed on the strength of one decent performance against us - not always the best of indicators - was shite in every appearance, then was sold to someone-or-other (Port Vale?). His first game was against us, and naturally he picked on that occasion to produce the second decent performance of his miserabl career, scoring the winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here