Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No.

Love Pascal Gross but unbelievably tinpot to retire the number of a player who played seven years for a club.
Plus I wore 13 throughout my "career" and I want another (Gross, not me) great to wear it.
Proper legend though.
Achieved more in 7 years than some do in a longer period.

“Unbelievably tinpot” is very harsh.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
1722541057132.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All the best Pascal. A pleasure to have seen you school Manure repeatedly amongst so many other achievements no other BHA player has beaten or even matched at the highest level. A class act in every respect.

I'm most sad that I never got to see him play in goal . . . .10/11 positions capably in the PL isn't too bad though.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For those saying we should have gotten more money, Groß becomes the 18th most expensive player over 33 ever.

I don't think that statistic is particularly relevant, because player fees have gone up a lot in recent years, and not many players are sold when 33 years old. There are plenty of that age who would sell for more, but they stay with their club. Or they finish their contract with their club, and go for free. A lot of other players rely more on their pace than Pascal does, so their value drops more than his has.

For the rumoured fee, I have no doubt that our club would have preferred to keep him, but we've let him go out of loyalty and respect for him.

Last edited:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
What a brilliant move for him. To play for the club you supported as a kid is a fine reward for his service to the Albion. BVB are a legendary club with astonishing support. As a Schalke fan of many years, I wish him, of course, all the best. See you the season after next, maybe. Hmm...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Was hoping for an eleventh hour change of heart, but it never came.
Wishing you well for the future Pascal and you leave big boots to fill.
Legend is an understatement to the achievements for the club.
Time will be the heeler and kindle the memories embedded.
Not often a transfer feels like having to say goodbye to an old friend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think that statistic is particularly relevant, because player fees have gone up a lot in recent years, and not many players are sold when 33 years old. There are plenty of that age who would sell for more, but they stay with their club. Or they finish their contract with their club, and go for free. A lot of other players rely more on their pace than Pascal does, so their value drops more than his has.

For the rumoured, I have no doubt that our club would have preferred to keep him, but we've let him go out of loyalty and respect for him.
It is all there on the BBC page.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Huge loss for us but I’ll be following his career with love and affection at Dortmund. This is a guy who essentially we have to thank for remaining in the PL. Pretty much single handedly that first season.

One of our greatest ever players, an astonishing value for money signing and a club legend who gave everything on the pitch.

Delighted for him, so sad to lose him but we absolutely need to give him a proper send off at some point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Gross is a proper legend but HS is right though, shirt retiring is tinpot. Birmingham still laughable for retiring Bellingham’s and he’s generational.
I don’t agree, it works well in American sport, and is recognition of achievements at a club, it is also a mark of respect and ensures someone’s contribution is never forgotten.

I appreciate there is an argument about where do you stop and what constitutes a legend, but that’s another debate. Clearly when starting players were numbered 1-11 it was never an option.

Bellingham IS tinpot, because other than begin his career and show incredible promise, he didn’t achieve anything particularly notable for Birmingham.
In fact, it is non-comparable to what Gross has achieved for Brighton IMO.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I don’t agree, it works well in American sport, and is recognition of achievements at a club, it is also a mark of respect and ensures someone’s contribution is never forgotten.

I appreciate there is an argument about where do you stop and what constitutes a legend, but that’s another debate. Clearly when starting players were numbered 1-11 it was never an option.

Bellingham IS tinpot, because other than begin his career and show incredible promise, he didn’t achieve anything particularly notable for Birmingham.
In fact, it is non-comparable to what Gross has achieved for Brighton IMO.
On who is a legend, pleased to see the club’s own communications refer to Gross as such over the past 24 hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here