Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I keep seeing Buonanotte listed but I don’t think he can play as part of a 2 CM midfield in 3-4-3.

Agree that Buonanotte would sit behind the central striker normally. We’re assuming 3-4-3 as that’s the formation that FH played at St Pauli, he may have other ideas with the squad at his disposal here.

However, if we intend to use Buonanotte, he has to take a place somewhere in the team. I wouldn’t personally place him at the head of our attack or out wide, we have better players in those positions. The Ali Mac role is where I feel he’s at his best by some margin.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree with both those points, yet in a 3-4-3 we wouldn’t play Buonanotte as our central attacker, so if he plays, it would be as a midfielder, and while he’s played out on the wings to cover, it’s not his natural position.

With Hinshelwood, I honestly believe he can play pretty much anywhere, but I fear “March syndrome” where his flexibility holds him back from developing as far as he could, and he becomes a jack of all trades, but a master of none as he’s simply not played in the same position consistently.
I get the concern for Hinshelwood, but I have hopes he will be more like Pascal than Solly.
Play anywhere and be one of the most influential players on the pitch, wherever he is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is exactly what Andy Naylor also reported in the Athletic yesterday
We have been there before with the club not having had contact, but the players agent has agreed terms with another club. It will come down to the fee, and I worry that it won't take much if the alternative is leave on a free next summer, and Pascals not happy about staying.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pascal about the sign his last big Brighton contract and there's 'competion' from German heavyweights to drive up the price. Seems like a good bit of work from Pascal's new agent!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
But perhaps Moran will be better off in a different environment, he looked ok when he came in against Everton a couple of seasons ago, I wouldn’t write him off yet.
Don't get me wrong, I agree, still think theres a lot of potential there, but I think its a massive risk relying on him to fill in for our biggest contributor to G/As.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Moder will be in our squad this season, and you will be glad he is. I will cry if Milner plays at Fullback for us ever again.

Dahoud needs to find some passion for playing, or retire. Leonard and Kozlowski might not be good enough yet, and might leave us, but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them became players we would like to have in future.
I like your midfield, but I think only one new first team ready midfielder will come in.
Why? What does he do, I'm not really sure if he has a future here beyond being back up, when the other options are far superior.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pascal about the sign his last big Brighton contract and there's 'competion' from German heavyweights to drive up the price. Seems like a good bit of work from Pascal's new agent!

The fact that the club says no contact from anyone means that I'm hoping it's his new agent negotiating hard on the new contract and release clause for next summer à la AliMac. What great news that would be :thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If there’s one player I’d rather not be subjected to a drawn out agent-fuelled Twitter titbit transfer saga to potentially taint his legacy even the tiniest bit, it’s Pascal.
He’ll surely not be thinking about this until after the Euros creating a huge vacuum for Romano and his ilk to fill with guff. 😬

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Why? What does he do, I'm not really sure if he has a future here beyond being back up, when the other options are far superior.

Couldn't agree more.

These are his Premier League stats,

2966 total minutes played
0 goals from an xG of 3.9
23% shots on target
73% pass completion
We have a net goals per game of -1 when he is on the pitch. (-1.02 this season)

These are Buonanotte's
1929 total minutes played
4 goals from an xG of 3.8
31% shots on target
82% pass completion
We have a net goals per game of -0.5 when he is on the pitch. (+0.2 this season)

Jack Hinchelwood's
871 minutes played
3 goals from xG of 1.9
57% shots on target
83.6% pass completion
We have a net goals per game of -0.42 when he is on the pitch. (-0.03 this season)

Moder is way behind the standard being set by these two.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Moder, Dahoud, Leonard, Kozlowski shouldn’t be in the first team equation next season IMO, we should look at moving them all on, Milner should be back up at most, and I really don’t want to see Buonanotte play in a midfield 2. A player who has similar attributes like Wieffer or KDH is paramount. A midfield of Baleba, Gilmour, Hinshelwood, Milner, KDH and Wieffer is serious and not unachievable. Further to add Milner and Hinshelwood can fill in at Fullback/Wingback.
The problem many people don't understand when it comes to signing players is that its a lot easier to buy them than to sell them.

Ok, so Moder, Dahoud, Leonard and Kozlowski perhaps shouldn't be in first team plans, but they're going to be somewhere. And just like Potter had to accept Locadia, Andone and a few other undesired players taking up squad place when we couldn't find loans or transfers for them, we may find ourselves in the same situation with a player like Dahoud. As a free transfer signing, he is quite likely to have a good salary that he just won't find in another club (unless we can ship him to some oil country).

Similar situation with Jakub Moder, although we should be able to at least find a loan deal for him. I can't imagine many clubs are willing or able to buy him permanently at this point. A bottom team in PL, Serie A or La Liga, or a mid table team in Germany or France is probably the best he can hope for. He has done very little over quite a lot of years.

Kozlowski is a little bit shit but I guess Hurzeler will have a look at him. Dreadful for Vitesse this season and I don't know where we should put him if he can't stand out in the worst team in the Eredivisie. League One maybe? Its a weird jump though.

Leonard... time will tell.

Your midfield setup looks good except I don't think KDH is really happening anymore. But it depends on getting rid of unwanted players. If someone like Dahoud can't be moved on, we're probably going to have to settle for him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The problem many people don't understand when it comes to signing players is that its a lot easier to buy them than to sell them.

Ok, so Moder, Dahoud, Leonard and Kozlowski perhaps shouldn't be in first team plans, but they're going to be somewhere. And just like Potter had to accept Locadia, Andone and a few other undesired players taking up squad place when we couldn't find loans or transfers for them, we may find ourselves in the same situation with a player like Dahoud. As a free transfer signing, he is quite likely to have a good salary that he just won't find in another club (unless we can ship him to some oil country).

Similar situation with Jakub Moder, although we should be able to at least find a loan deal for him. I can't imagine many clubs are willing or able to buy him permanently at this point. A bottom team in PL, Serie A or La Liga, or a mid table team in Germany or France is probably the best he can hope for. He has done very little over quite a lot of years.

Kozlowski is a little bit shit but I guess Hurzeler will have a look at him. Dreadful for Vitesse this season and I don't know where we should put him if he can't stand out in the worst team in the Eredivisie. League One maybe? Its a weird jump though.

Leonard... time will tell.

Your midfield setup looks good except I don't think KDH is really happening anymore. But it depends on getting rid of unwanted players. If someone like Dahoud can't be moved on, we're probably going to have to settle for him.
If we are settling for players that the club clearly don't want, then that is an incredibly disappointing window, Potter was widely ridiculed for bring Locadia on once he came back. If we want to be serious about next season we will have to bring people in, before we sell deadwood that we'll be getting nominal fees for. Leonard is the only one worth looking at IMO, he will need to make a big jump though, maybe a Kozolowksi loan to the championship. We need to get better at loans this season, we had a poor season last year, no one shone on loan.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
If we are settling for players that the club clearly don't want, then that is an incredibly disappointing window, Potter was widely ridiculed for bring Locadia on once he came back. If we want to be serious about next season we will have to bring people in, before we sell deadwood that we'll be getting nominal fees for. Leonard is the only one worth looking at IMO, he will need to make a big jump though, maybe a Kozolowksi loan to the championship. We need to get better at loans this season, we had a poor season last year, no one shone on loan.
Agree that many of our loans this past season were flops but Leonard (as you say), Sima, Undav, Sarmiento, Rushworth, and Beadle all had good or great spells on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here